Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Better yet, Carolina is paying him almost $5M/year on a long-term contract for that role.

I've read talk that they may consider buying him out this June ... because of his age it would only be 1/3 over twice the term ... so $835K over twelve years, with the 4/5/6th years only $455K.

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

;)

Ha! Note that Poile does not express regret in HOCKEY terms…he expresses it on a human level. Weber was a defining player for that franchise who was traded while he still had some good year left. 😉

I was absolutely appalled with the trade at the time. Turns out, it worked out for both teams, like a trade is supposed to. Subban aged out early, which mitigated a major advantage over Old Man Weber, while Weber - the very worst contract in all of hockey - suffered career-ending injuries before the contract could become a millstone. (This was a horrible turn of events at a human level, but a stroke of luck from a cap-management perspective). The result was that both players (a) were integral to Cup runs on their teams and (b) stayed on their teams for roughly the same number of years. In hockey terms, basically a wash.

Just checking KK's stats. I think he had 12 points after the first 12 games, now he has 18 points in 52 games. Doing some simple math that's 6 points in his last 40 games. It almost brings a tear to my eye. 

Now if only we had kept the picks instead of trading for Dvorak. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Just checking KK's stats. I think he had 12 points after the first 12 games, now he has 18 points in 52 games. Doing some simple math that's 6 points in his last 40 games. It almost brings a tear to my eye. 

Now if only we had kept the picks instead of trading for Dvorak. 

He may well get bought out this offseason ... because of his age it would only be 1/3 the remaining contract over twice the term (rather than the usual 2/3 over twice the term) ... $835K for 12 years, saving almost $4M per year over the remaining 6 years of his contract ... it will be interesting to see which team makes him the best offer (be it in terms of $$, term or opportunity to "rehabilitate" his reputation), because more than one will take the chance ... if by some miracle Hughes can rid himself of Dvorak I would not be opposed to the Habs entering that mix for one year, despite what went down between him and Bergevin, and between Bergevin and Dundon. 

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Expect he may well get bought out this offseason ... because of his age it would only be 1/3 the remaining contract over twice the term (rather than the usual 2/3 over twice the term) ... it will be interesting to see which team makes him the best offer (be it in terms of $$, term or opportunity to "rehabilitate" his reputation), because more than one will take the chance ... if by some miracle Hughes can rid himself of Dvorak I would not be opposed to the Habs entering that mix for one year, despite what went down between him and Bergevin and Bergevin and Dundon. 

You understand the buyout process better than I do.  So he has 6 years left at 4.8M/year. Does that mean Carolina would have to payout 1.6M/year over 12 years?  If correct that seems like a long long time to be stuck with it. Probably better they rehabilitate him. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

He may well get bought out this offseason ... because of his age it would only be 1/3 the remaining contract over twice the term (rather than the usual 2/3 over twice the term) ... $835K for 12 years, saving almost $4M per year over the remaining 6 years of his contract ... it will be interesting to see which team makes him the best offer (be it in terms of $$, term or opportunity to "rehabilitate" his reputation), because more than one will take the chance ... if by some miracle Hughes can rid himself of Dvorak I would not be opposed to the Habs entering that mix for one year, despite what went down between him and Bergevin and Bergevin and Dundon. 

I'd welcome him back as a bottom-6 option. 

The problem is, KK is a kid who has always had things handed to him underserved: fat contract from Carolina, brought into the NHL at 19 without having earned it, etc. And I suspect this will continue...some team will give him a higher salary point than he deserves, based on "potential" and draft pedigree. And I assume that team won't be us.

• Like 1

He signed that contract and F-Ued Montreal.

He thought he deserved that much more.

I do not want any part of that entitled piece of crisp-bread 

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Think he F-Ued Marc Bergevin more than Montreal.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is, KK is a kid who has always had things handed to him underserved: fat contract from Carolina, brought into the NHL at 19 without having earned it, etc.

I do agree. Although getting bought out might give him a jolt. Maybe.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You understand the buyout process better than I do.  So he has 6 years left at 4.8M/year. Does that mean Carolina would have to payout 1.6M/year over 12 years?  If correct that seems like a long long time to be stuck with it. Probably better they rehabilitate him. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

He may well get bought out this offseason ... because of his age it would only be 1/3 the remaining contract over twice the term (rather than the usual 2/3 over twice the term) ... $835K for 12 years, saving almost $4M per year over the remaining 6 years of his contract ... it will be interesting to see which team makes him the best offer (be it in terms of $$, term or opportunity to "rehabilitate" his reputation), because more than one will take the chance ... if by some miracle Hughes can rid himself of Dvorak I would not be opposed to the Habs entering that mix for one year, despite what went down between him and Bergevin, and between Bergevin and Dundon. 

Thanks for adding the additional clarification.

24 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't disagree, the KK ship has sailed, time to move on. Mistake #1 was keeping an immature 18 year old with the big team. That's Montreal's fault. 

I thought they might make the same mistake with Slaf but there are different maturity levels involved. When Slaf was 15 he was living away from home and cooking for himself, hardly entitled or spoiled. On the other hand KK was playing for his dad when he was drafted.  Slaf is just more mature and stronger mentally. 

I see him getting a 1 year deal at like 1-1.5 million if bought out.

He took the money.  Really i dont blame him at all for that, pro athletes have a limited time frame to get paid and he took his chance.  I blame Dundon and Waddell but not KK on that.  Looks good on them that its blown up in their faces while the guy they let go to make room (Trochek) has done much better than KK.

Would i take him back, its unlikely to be an option, and hes not my first choice for how to build centre depth.  I just dont see where he fits.

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... I blame Dundon and Waddell but not KK on that ...

I would throw Bergevin in the mix as well ... making an easily matched offer sheet at Aho was a risky move ... and I have to expect that Dundon had a reputation for having a temper and holding a grudge.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I see him getting a 1 year deal at like 1-1.5 million if bought out.

He took the money.  Really i dont blame him at all for that, pro athletes have a limited time frame to get paid and he took his chance.  I blame Dundon and Waddell but not KK on that.  Looks good on them that its blown up in their faces while the guy they let go to make room (Trochek) has done much better than KK.

Would i take him back, its unlikely to be an option, and hes not my first choice for how to build centre depth.  I just dont see where he fits.

I don’t blame KK for taking the money either. I’m happy to see him bomb out mostly because: first, ّI don’t want yet another former Habs prospect flourishing elsewhere while we’re left standing there with our collective dick in our hands; second, Carolina acted like a-holes for the offer sheet and subsequent taunting, so I am delighted it has blown up in their faces; and third, like I said before, KK never earned a thing (which bugs me, on principle).

As for fit, I assume he’s an upgrade on some of the garbage we have in the bottom six, although it’s not, I admit, clear that he is better than our existing C options.

I don’t blame KK for taking the money either. I’m happy to see him bomb out mostly because: first, ّI don’t want yet another former Habs prospect flourishing elsewhere while we’re left standing there with our collective dick in our hands; second, Carolina acted like a-holes for the offer sheet and subsequent taunting, so I am delighted it has blown up in their faces; and third, like I said before, KK never earned a thing (which bugs me, on principle).

As for fit, I assume he’s an upgrade on some of the garbage we have in the bottom six, although it’s not, I admit, clear that he is better than our existing C options.

Which is why my "condition" was that Dvorak is traded ... then KK could be worth a peek as a 3C.

There are only 7 players left from the last Habs' team he played on, including Allen who hopefully will be moved by next season and Caufield who played all of 10 games in 20/21 ... new management, new team-mates, rebuilding team on which he wouldn't be expected to make a mahor contribution and perhaps(?) most importantly a player-friendly/supportive coach ... all that might make Montreal an interesting option.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree With this

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree With this

Plenty of NHL management experience ... but ZERO experience as a GM ... pretty much ANY candidate for an NHL GM job has lots of "management" experience, so I tend to see Davidson as looking for someone who also has experience as a GM ... my *****GUESS***** is still Gorton ... but even if Molson agrees to release him from his contract, I doubt that would ever happen until after the draft, maybe even until mid-July when the early stages of free agency are done ... unless, Davidson is willing to trade their first-rounder (or a TOP youngster/prospect) as part of a deal to get Molson to release Gorton ... not very likely ... unless, having lost confidence in Kekalainen they also don't have confidence in the scouting team he assembled.

What do you have against poor Columbus??

Unless MB takes at least one of his bad contracts of our hands - Gallagher, Armia or Anderson, I hope that SOB never gets another GM job again - ditto for Therrien!