Nov. 13: Habs @ Red Wings - the Once We Were Kings edition

image.jpeg

Original Six match up involving two of the sweetest unis in pro sports. But will the Habs really play Allen in back-to-back nights? Really - ? Or do they judge Boston to be the weaker team, for Montembeault to face?

Anti-vacc nut job Tyler Bertuzzi will be besmirching the lineup, since this is a US game.

Lineup courtesy https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2021/11/13/22779584/red-wings-vs-canadiens-gdu-lineups-keys-to-the-game

Detroit

Forwards
Tyler Bertuzzi - Dylan Larkin - Lucas Raymond
Robby Fabbri - Pius Suter - Filip Zadina
Vladislav Namestnikov - Michael Rasmussen - Adam Erne
Carter Rowney - Mitchell Stephens - Sam Gagner

Defense
Danny DeKeyser - Moritz Seider
Nick Leddy - Filip Hronek
Marc Staal - Gustav Lindstrom

Goalies
Alex Nedeljkovic
Thomas Greiss

Montreal

Forwards
Mike Hoffman - Nick Suzuki - Tyler Toffoli
Josh Anderson - Christian Dvorak - Brendan Gallagher
Artturi Lehkonen - Jake Evans - Joel Armia
Michael Pezzetta - Ryan Poehling - Alex Belzile

Defense
Ben Chiarot - Jeff Petry
Brett Kulak - David Savard
Alexander Romanov - Chris Wideman
Goalies
Jake Allen
Samuel Montembeault

It should be more of a challenge than the first two games ... Tyler Bertuzzi played in neither of those thanks to his vaccination stand ... Dylan Larkin missed the last one.

4-3 Montreal in the 12th round of the shootout ... winning goal by Pezzetta

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Habs make it two in a row for the first time this year, 4 - 2  Habs. 

I hope so, I will finally be able to shed the KK avatar

:habslogo: :habslogo: :habslogo: 
Go Habs Go!!!

:habslogo: :habslogo: :habslogo: 

Not on the same page as the Pezzetta haters. 

Awesome for Poehling and the Habs scoring 1st.

When it happened I was thinking he should try banking it in off Belzilie's or the Wings dman's leg.  When it went in I thought that was what happened, but no; he shot between the defenders legs and it went straight in.  Either way, there was good offensive hockey IQ in play.  i.e. using the Wings Dman as a screen and the timing and placement of the shot.  

30 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not on the same page as the Pezzetta haters. 

6 minor penalties in the last 7 periods, 5 of them being legit (the second one tonight, not so much).  If this was anyone else other than a rookie, people would be calling for him to be benched.  He's an AHL talent with a penchant for taking dumb penalties.  He has had a couple of nice skill plays tonight which is good (it was a nice setup for Poehling and the one-handed shot was a decent attempt) but if he can't stay out of the box (especially on a team that can't kill penalties), it's hard to justify continuing to put him out there.  You need to be responsible for a lot of goals to offset the amount of penalties he's starting to take.  He can't do that in the minors and there's no reason to think he can do that in the NHL.  He needs to learn to stay out of the box and avoid the stupid penalties.  Otherwise, he's a liability out there.

• Like 1

On a different note, what in the world was Petry thinking late in the period?  He completely botched the pass in the offensive zone, then threw Larkin into Allen.  What good does throwing someone into your starting goalie do?  Just a beyond stupid decision.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

On a different note, what in the world was Petry thinking late in the period?  He completely botched the pass in the offensive zone, then threw Larkin into Allen.  What good does throwing someone into your starting goalie do?  Just a beyond stupid decision.

You're not wrong, but Allen is really their backup goalie - which makes it that much dumber of an action by Petry.  ex:  if Allen is injured on that play, the Habs will have to split games between Mantembeault and Premieaux.  

Yeah but the score is 1-0... so his pass > the penalties he took.  I understand that it’s nothing against Pezzetta personally. The people who dislike him would dislike any player in the league who brings his style of play to the table, due to the fact that it will lead to a lot of penalties. The problem is that they are also often going out of their was to “search” for the things he does wrong.

I personally don’t mind having a player who gets under the skin of the opponent even if that means he will end up in the box from time to time. He also brings energy and he finds himself around the net a lot, so I feel as though he brings other things to the table. 

What I will admit is that if the Habs were 1st in the division, there’s a distinct possibility Pezzetta is not on the team.

14 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Yeah but the score is 1-0... so his pass > the penalties he took.  I understand that it’s nothing against Pezzetta personally. The people who dislike him would dislike any player in the league who brings his style of play to the table, due to the fact that it will lead to a lot of penalties. The problem is that they are also often going out of their was to “search” for the things he does wrong.

I personally don’t mind having a player who gets under the skin of the opponent even if that means he will end up in the box from time to time. He also brings energy and he finds himself around the net a lot, so I feel as though he brings other things to the table. 

What I will admit is that if the Habs were 1st in the division, there’s a distinct possibility Pezzetta is not on the team.

He does, and it often doesnt show up on scorecards.  i.e. he's drawn several penalties that lead to PPG's.  

He reminds of players like Gustafsson in that regard - a player with Pros and Cons; and as long as they have more Pros than Cons you continue to play them.  

Sure, he takes dumb penalties, but so does Chiarot.  Who has created more goals vs caused?  I'd say Chiarot has caused more, and that a lot of Pezzetta's penalties are a team unity building experiences.  They are bone headed penalties, but from high effort so the Habs seem to kill a lot of them.  

TVA confirms Allen will not return tonight

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You called it. Unfortunately.

If Allen is out for any length of time, and Price is not yet ready to return, this season is goes from being bad to catastrophic.

If he can't return tonight it seems unlikely Allen dresses tomorrow night ... expect that means Primeau gets called up ... but if Allen is out for any length of time I'm not certain it is best for Primeau's development to be the starter, or splitting time with whoever, until Allen and/or Price returns ... especially behind this defence.

45 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

You're not wrong, but Allen is really their backup goalie - which makes it that much dumber of an action by Petry.  ex:  if Allen is injured on that play, the Habs will have to split games between Mantembeault and Premieaux.  

You're right that he's the backup in a normal situation but as of right now, Allen is the starter.  There's no timeline for Price to return so until that happens, Allen is the number one.

44 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It's finding that balance of getting to the line but not going over it that makes players like that effective.  I've seen probably 50 of Pezzetta's games over the past few seasons and this has always been the issue for him.  He's effective when he's under control but when someone gets under his skin and not the other way around, trouble soon follows.  And what doesn't help is that the new NHL officials are the ones coming up from the AHL where Pezzetta has a well-earned reputation for being a penalty machine.  It's an uphill battle for him as a result.

Sure, the pass trumps the penalties tonight since the Habs killed these ones off but that goes out the window if he takes a penalty in a game where he doesn't have a point and the opponent scores and at the rate he's going, that will happen soon.  Ducharme is like Julien in that he trusts his vanilla players over ones whose play is more erratic even though once in a while, the player makes something good happen.  I'm not saying Pezzetta needs to become a vanilla player but as players return, he'll lean towards the safer option that doesn't average a penalty taken per game.  It looks like he's going to get an extended look with the injuries (I'd give some other players a look but that's just me) so that's going to be the challenge for him over however many more games he gets.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If youre counting on pezzetta putting points to offset his penalties, youll be disappointed.  He may have a nice play tonight but he doesnt have the skill to do that consistently.

Hes not Matthew Tkachuk.

Thats the identical mistake in logic regarding Gustafsson.  i.e. they must get points for every error they make, vs every point they actually cause.  ex:  Pezzetta avgs 1 pen/gm he obviously wont get 1 pt/gm.  Why would would there be an expectation that he has to?

Plus, thats only considering his personal points vs the teams.  He draws penalties which result in PPG's, blocks G view and his linemate score.  There are numerous ways to get points where a player is not awarded a point.  Also, after they kill the pen the momentum changes in thier favour which leads to scoring chances and goals.  I'm pretty sure the anti- Pezzites aren't considering any of those factors.  

Wansn't the Habs PK in 31st place?  They've killed enough of Pezzettas penalties that they're now 29th, and their PK will probably be 20th by 1st wk of Dec.   I dont find his penalties to be a Con - they play harder to kill them, which ironically is actually a good thing.   Plus thy need his Gally-esque like energy, and his size and fists help too.  

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thats the identical mistake in logic regarding Gustafsson.  i.e. they must get points for every error they make, vs every point they actually cause.  ex:  Pezzetta avgs 1 pen/gm he obviously wont get 1 pt/gm.  Why would would there be an expectation that he has to?

That's not what he said. What he did say is that the positives need to be bigger than the negatives: he has to make a positive contribution to the team.