What would you do if you were the GM?

REV-G

I thought the article was surprising and wrong. It so easy to talk how you would do better but I thought the returns were overall very good and personally I don't see how we could have received much better. Also all of the major insiders that I listened to unanimously agreed that Montreal received outstanding returns on their trades. 

• Upvote 1

the point that the tough decision were delayed until the summer may seem obvious, but it is a valid point

I agree that the returns Hugh-Gort got at the trade deadline were good, no complaints there

but I still cannot clearly describe the direction and mid to long tearm goals the team has. I may have missed that in the multiple interviews Hugh-Gort has had. Or maybe I am just dense...

I find the article to shed some light on that part

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the point that the tough decision were delayed until the summer may seem obvious, but it is a valid point

I agree that the returns Hugh-Gort got at the trade deadline were good, no complaints there

but I still cannot clearly describe the direction and mid to long tearm goals the team has. I may have missed that in the multiple interviews Hugh-Gort has had. Or maybe I am just dense...

I find the article to shed some light on that part

Their goals are going to depend on what  it will be possible to do. As an example, if their goal is to move Price, but they don’t know if they can for a number of reasons, such as; a) Price refuses to waive NMC (too many years and too high of a cost to buy him out), b) he doesn’t play with enough, or we’ll enough this year to attract interest, or c) even if there is interest they don’t know yet how much they have to retain. Similarly, they may want to move Petry, Armia, Hoffman, Byron, Savard, or Gallagher, but because of the number I’d years left don’t know yet if they can do so without retaining salary. 

They already said they want to build a more offensively minded team that is;

"a team that plays fast, but plays fast with the puck."

"I don't think you can be successful in the National Hockey League today without being a defensively responsible team. But we see teams in the National Hockey League -- I think all of us can identify some -- where the focus is strictly defensive and others that are more creative," he said.

"I envision a team that plays fast with the puck, a possession hockey team, but I also understand that you have to build a team around the players that you have and that's going to be a process for us here as we move forward." 

how he achieves that team or how soon he can get their is going to depend on who he can move out, whether salary is retained, and who they think they can draft this year. None of those decisions are going to be made right now. He also isn’t going to let the other 31 teams know he wants or has to move out a Petry, Armia, or Savard an example.  What he said is much better than, he character, play the right way, or build through the draft 🙄, and just need to get into the playoffs and anything can happen bullshit we heard for 10 years with Bergevin.

Gorton has said that what he is  doing is NOT roster improvement or roster changes. 
And Hugh-Gort have said that they want to transform the culture, the team, the mindset

But they have not given anymore detail beyond what you quoted: “Play fast, Be smart, Be part of talented group”

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gorton has said that what he is  doing is NOT roster improvement or roster changes. 
And Hugh-Gort have said that they want to transform the culture, the team, the mindset

But they have not given anymore detail beyond what you quoted: “Play fast, Be smart, Be part of talented group”

I am not sure what detail you expect them to give?  Do you want a timeframe?   A lot of the heavy lifting (moving the contracts discussed earlier) will be attempted during the summer as teams had little appetite to take on any of the Habs big contracts at the trade deadline when cap space was limited. Some cards are better kept close to the vest. 

I think it was pretty obvious from the Toffoli trade that they are targeting a time frame of at least 3 years down the road and their other moves so far have been consistent with this. I think they have done a great job so far. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not sure what detail you expect them to give?  Do you want a timeframe?   A lot of the heavy lifting (moving the contracts discussed earlier) will be attempted during the summer as teams had little appetite to take on any of the Habs big contracts at the trade deadline when cap space was limited. Some cards are better kept close to the vest. 

I think it was pretty obvious from the Toffoli trade that they are targeting a time frame of at least 3 years down the road and their other moves so far have been consistent with this. I think they have done a great job so far. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

I am trying to keep an open mind and trying to form an opinion from what they say instead from what is guessed by others.

I do not know if trading Toffoli but keeping Allen signals a 3 year window. I do not know if playing Typer Pitlick and sitting Ylonen is in-line with what you write.

I am still waiting for a plan, like in an Annual General Meeting of a company, where the CEO presents his plan to the shareholders. The "big picture"

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am trying to keep an open mind and trying to form an opinion from what they say instead from what is guessed by others.

I do not know if trading Toffoli but keeping Allen signals a 3 year window. I do not know if playing Typer Pitlick and sitting Ylonen is in-line with what you write.

I am still waiting for a plan, like in an Annual General Meeting of a company, where the CEO presents his plan to the shareholders. The "big picture"

I am just guessing the "big picture" is to build a Stanley Cup Contender.  Obviously they have a youth movement going on.  It's pretty hard to trade every veteran especially when they have been hurt like Allen and you need some mentors for the young guys.  If you are waiting for a detailed plan then you might be waiting a long time. A lot will depend on what is available on the trade front, how the young guys develop etc.  HuGo aren't going to give away all their secrets. 

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am an old big tech corporate guy ... I like my CEOs to communicate the broad vision regularly 

I think we'll get more communication after the UFA deadline, after the draft and most (?) of the offseason trades are done.

Unlike the corporate CEOs, an NHL GM is dependent on being able to trade assets with his competitors, so I think fewer details will be revealed in any case. And the GMs don't do as many PowerPoints! 😂

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Allen would have been hard to move with him coming of injury around the deadline. No Hickey tram says we are gong to trade player x, y, z, without killing the value. Corey and Houle did that, how did that turn out? He’s given the big picture - which is a huge departure firm get the get big and slow dmen, like MB had done the last few years. 

Gorton is VP and de facto CEO

Agreed ... but tomh009's point remains IMO valid ... a corporate CEO can lay out the direction a company wants to go because for the most part they control the levers they will pull ... VP/GMs have to work with other teams to revamp rosters (e.g., trades) and agents to sign players (or waive NTC/NMCs) ... too much transparency would put them at a disadvantage, possibly be disrespectful to players.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

with the trade deadline out of the way, here is what I would do as a GM.

1. Evaluate Drouin vs Hoffman to trade one during the draft of later this summer

2. See how much St-Louis can do with Gallagher and evaluate options (I would keep him)

3. Decide on whom they re-sign from the pending RFAs/UFAs: Lagesson, Schueneman, Wideman, Clague, Niku, Montembeault, T. Pitlick, R.Pitlick, Dauphin, Pezzetta, Ylonen, and whoever is in the AHL

After last game against the Blue Jackets, and preparing for the last handful of games, I would:

1. Ask Marty to play the following UFAs/RFAs at the end of next season, to start preparing to trade tehm at the trade deadline:

Byron, Poehling, (Allen is injured)

2. Ask Marty to play the following to decide on next contract if resigned:

Dauphin vs. R. Pitlick? (I would keep both)

Pezzetta vs T.Pitlick? (I would keep Pezzetta)

Clague vs Wideman?

(I would keep Wideman, trade Clague for another's team RFA Habs would then sign)

3. I would only re-sign Montembeault if it is a two-way contract and would send him to Laval next year. He is a good emergency call-up and backup in the AHL.

4. I would ask Marty to play Carey:

this Friday against the Islanders (first of back to back)

Apr 24 game against the Bruins (second of back to back)

maybe last game against Florida

This would clear any doubts on next season's roster and team needs heading into the draft and UFA market

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... 4. I would ask Marty to play Carey:

maybe last game against Florida ...

I agree on the NYIs game ... but wouldn't wait until Boston, I'd bring him back against Philly (6 days later) and then NYR (another 6 days later) and, ***IF*** he feels up to it, to close the season against Florida (to see how he responds on a "normal" goalie rotation) ... but I also wouldn't be surprised if Carey hopes/asks for 5 or even 6 games, if all goes well. 

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

After last game against the Blue Jackets, and preparing for the last handful of games, I would:

1. Ask Marty to play the following UFAs/RFAs at the end of next season, to start preparing to trade tehm at the trade deadline:

Byron, Poehling, (Allen is injured)

2. Ask Marty to play the following to decide on next contract if resigned:

Dauphin vs. R. Pitlick? (I would keep both)

Pezzetta vs T.Pitlick? (I would keep Pezzetta)

Clague vs Wideman?

(I would keep Wideman, trade Clague for another's team RFA Habs would then sign)

3. I would only re-sign Montembeault if it is a two-way contract and would send him to Laval next year. He is a good emergency call-up and backup in the AHL.

4. I would ask Marty to play Carey:

maybe last game against Florida

This would clear any doubts on next season's roster and team needs heading into the draft and UFA market

1) I don't think Byron and Poehling's play over the next two-plus weeks is going to affect their trade value.  They don't need to be showcased.

2) Dauphin is a centre, Pitlick a winger (they tried him there, it didn't work) so they're not in direct competition for a single spot.  T. Pitlick was a cap balancer, not someone they want to keep so he's not in competition with Pezzetta.  Clague was on waivers twice this season so his trade value is minimal; I'm not sure his RFA rights would be worth another pending RFA worth signing.

3) Montembeault's qualifying offer must be one-way since he has played in or dressed in every game (or close to it).  The threshold is 60 GP/games dressed for him this season.  Remember that one-way or two-way only affects salary, not waiver eligibility or the cap.  They can give him a one-way deal, waive him, and send him to Laval if they wanted to (assuming he clears which I think he would).

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

1) I don't think Byron and Poehling's play over the next two-plus weeks is going to affect their trade value.  They don't need to be showcased.

2) Dauphin is a centre, Pitlick a winger (they tried him there, it didn't work) so they're not in direct competition for a single spot.  T. Pitlick was a cap balancer, not someone they want to keep so he's not in competition with Pezzetta.  Clague was on waivers twice this season so his trade value is minimal; I'm not sure his RFA rights would be worth another pending RFA worth signing.

3) Montembeault's qualifying offer must be one-way since he has played in or dressed in every game (or close to it).  The threshold is 60 GP/games dressed for him this season.  Remember that one-way or two-way only affects salary, not waiver eligibility or the cap.  They can give him a one-way deal, waive him, and send him to Laval if they wanted to (assuming he clears which I think he would).

thanks @dlbalr ! Always appreciate your feedback

1) you are right that playing them doesn't affect their value. It is just what I had in mind when I started the list and automatically wrote that text there. In my mind, these three expiring 2023 contracts will be moved at next season's deadline.

2) I pitted those 4 like that, because there are only so many bottom-3 players Habs should keep. Out of the bunch: Rem Pitlick has earned another contract and to me Wideman has played better than Clague. I would love to get something in return for any of the RFAs but like you have written that will be almost impossible

3) I remember that some players signed one way contracts to get a guarantied salary even if waived. In that sense, I do not want to overpay for Montembeault when he is sent to Laval. I do not think he has earned an NHL salary while in the AHL.

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

3) I remember that some players signed one way contracts to get a guarantied salary even if waived. In that sense, I do not want to overpay for Montembeault when he is sent to Laval. I do not think he has earned an NHL salary while in the AHL.

You're thinking of two-way deals with guarantees.  Montembeault, for example, has that this season - $750K in the NHL, $250K in the minors with a total guarantee of $350K (that he has clearly surpassed).  A one-way is a fixed salary no matter where he plays.  Montreal has to qualify Montembeault at $787,500 one-way this summer and an extra guarantee can't be tacked onto that.  They can ask him if he'll take a two-way deal and threaten to non-tender him if he declines but there's no guarantee he'd take that.

Most importantly with Montembeault is that unless they give him more than $1.125M, which I don't imagine they will, his contract will be able to be fully buried (i.e., no cap impact) if/when in Laval.

• Upvote 1

I would approve these ... but couldn't find any corroboration for the clickbait site's "scoop"

That was reported a few months ago - I remember seeing it in one of the threads here.  Every team is getting another reverse retro jersey next season (it may be a new one each year, actually) and an Expos-coloured one was believed to be on the radar.

• 2 months later...

with one week to go before the draft and two more before the UFA market opens, I thought it would be a good time to revisit this thread. I would:

1. I would draft Wright

2. I would shop draft picks, Anderson, Drouin, Harris in different packages/combinations to try to get another top-10 pick

3. I would seriously package Hoffman and Armia with picks to make room for prospects and on the cap

4. If the consensus from the scouting team is that Wright may be NHL ready (bottom lines) I would plan to play Poehling on Suzuki's wing with Caufield, instead of Anderson and others. I think he can fit there

5. I would aim at drafting a RD stud and best goalie available this draft

Projected top two lines would and top two D pairs:

Poehling-Suzuki-Caufield

(*)-Dvorak-Anderson   (*)-> one of Drouin, Dadonov, Hoffman

Romanov-Savard

Edmundson- (*)           (*)-> Petry until traded, Barron thereafter

Habs need elite talent

4. If the consensus from the scouting team is that Wright may be NHL ready (bottom lines) I would plan to play Poehling on Suzuki's wing with Caufield, instead of Anderson and others. I think he can fit there

Based on what evidence?  The lack of scoring in the NHL or the lack of scoring in the AHL (when he was in an offensive role)?  He has never been a scorer (even in college) so there's no reason to think he'll suddenly start producing well enough to stick on the top line.  Is there a particular skill or two that stands out to you that makes you think he can make that jump?