What would you do if you were the GM?

REV-G

35 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I expect Caufield to improve. I think I can agree with”not messing” with him as I’m not hampering his development.

But I also want some coaching where he is challenged and asked to perform in situation he needs to become comfortable in for the sake of winning 

I agree, I wouldn't mess with Caufield too much, needs to get totally comfortable and confident with his current position first and then maybe he can take on new challenges. 

I really like Ylonen, excellent skater, has pad his dues in Laval, I think he is ready for full time NHL work. 

3g 6pts in 16 playoff games with Laval.

So, dont think is any hurry to have him join the Habs full-time yet.

Same role as last year maybe, depth forward and an injury call up i expect, unless are waiver issues this year.

I think Ylonen needs a shot, but given the number of wingers on this team, he will probably start in Laval and may come up if we have injuries or are able to make some trades. 

The roster is bloated both in sheer volume and financially right now. 

That extra volume is on the wings.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ylonen, caufield and a few others can also play LW.

Armia, too, as I recall.

Nevertheless, there is a need to move a winger or two. Anderson and Hoffman appear to be the most likely candidates, but we might end up being surprised yet.

So...who thinks bother Byron and Price will start the season on IR? I do. It seems to me the Habs may be paying lip service to Price's offseason recovery, knowing full well he won't be back. Of course, just a guess on my part.

Byron seems to be trending that way which would seem to explain the lack of urgency to clear salary.  With Price, I don't know how much benefit there would be to stringing that one along.  Plus, they'd probably want to sign another goalie for Laval if they knew Price was a no-go to start.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Byron seems to be trending that way which would seem to explain the lack of urgency to clear salary.  With Price, I don't know how much benefit there would be to stringing that one along.  Plus, they'd probably want to sign another goalie for Laval if they knew Price was a no-go to start.

I agree that if they knew Price was LTIR they would have dealt with it already. 

I think Price starts and we go from there

I figured they'd have to go through the medical motions with Price for LTIR purposes. The PRP injections seem to be an effort to avoid another surgery.  I can see the current treatment plan not working out, and either a season ending knee surgery happening some time during training camp/preseason, or Price deciding he doesn't want to undergo any further surgery for a multitude of reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To stay within the terms of the thread title ... I'd take out a hit on Marc Bergevin ... couldn't get the image to post but the Habs are 32nd with all of THREE contracts better than C+ :

• Wideman (B-)
  • Ptlick (B-), and
  • Matheson (B)

One is a Hughes acquisition, another a Hughes signing and Bergevin's highlight is a defenceman who was 13th of 14 Habs defencemen in TOI/gm last season.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

To stay within the terms of the thread title ... I'd take out a hit on Marc Bergevin ... couldn't get the image to post but the Habs are 32nd with all of THREE contracts better than C+ :

• Wideman (B-)
  • Ptlick (B-), and
  • Matheson (B)

One is a Hughes acquisition, another a Hughes signing and Bergevin's highlight is a defenceman who was 13th of 14 Habs defencemen in TOI/gm last season.

That's the contract efficiency ranking, based on Dom L's model. Notably Suzuki's contract is ranked the worst in the entire league, but Dom himself admits that the model doesn't appear to have that right. A lot of the low grades are due to the atrocious first half of last season.

Notably, Dvorak is ranked at C, Evans at C+ and Edmundson at C. I personally wouldn't complain about any of those three contracts.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... Notably, Dvorak is ranked at C, Evans at C+ and Edmundson at C. I personally wouldn't complain about any of those three contracts.

Neither are they anything to be exceptionally proud of ... hoorah, hoorah ... MB didn't ridiculously overpay them (or acquire a ridiculously overpaid contract).

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Neither are they anything to be exceptionally proud of ... hoorah, hoorah ... MB didn't ridiculously overpay them (or acquire a ridiculously overpaid contract).

Agreed ... I would personally see them as being in the B range.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It's a great quote from Hughes, and absolutely a serious problem.

We should remember, though, that that team of bloated contracts got to the Stanley Cup Finals. That's what comes of being all in, especially when you haven't drafted and developed properly. And to be fully fair to Bergevin, he delivered on his prime mission of delivering a Cup contender within the vanishing windows of Price and Weber. You have to respect the fact that he pushed in all his chips and came within three games of the promised land.

Now we're dealing with the fallout. And that's fair enough. But I'd rather get to the Finals and have to mop up a mess, than mill around with an efficient salary structure and never get there.

(Of course, ideally one would do both - be cap-efficient AND a contender. All I'm saying is that garment-rending over our salary structure needs to be tempered by the memory of the Run of '21).

• Upvote 1

MB was all in, and did it despite making choices that hurt his chances of a new contract with the Habs.

I can’t wait for training camp to see how Hugh-Gort restructures it

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DON said:

not a bad summary. Reminded me how the Russians left Montreal the year after PK was traded... and PK attending Markov's wedding in Russia (https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/look-p-k-subban-reunites-with-andrei-markov-at-canadiens-wedding/)

Oh! the drama! MB's legacy includes lots of drama :ph34r: