GAME #52 Sabres vs Habs 7:30 Wed Feb 23 2022

DON

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I like to think that Guhle and perhaps Harris are potentially top 4 defenseman and that Farrell and Roy are potentially top 6 forwards. I emphasize potentially as we don't know for sure how they will progress. I have probably missed a couple. 

Ylonen and Heineman are potential top 6 forwards.... 

Younger and potentially top six, you have to consider Joshua Roy, Riley Kidney, Jan Mysak, 

Potential top 4 D you have to include Mailloux

Josh Brook I'd like to see what he can do if he can stay healthy. 

Norlinder a potential top 4. 

There are more too.  None are sure things, but that doesn't mean none will make it. 

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I like Dauphin tonight. 

Is Montembault an NHL backup? 

Same here.  He has been a bit more noticeable than usual.

I'm still not sold on Montembeault.  He has had a run like this before in Florida which led to him starting the following season as their backup and that...well, didn't go well.  Let's get past the St. Louis honeymoon period where the team isn't on its best behaviour and starts to get a bit sloppier than we've seen.  That will be more of a true test for Montembeault as a couple of good weeks doesn't erase a few poor months.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Let's get past the St. Louis honeymoon period where the team isn't on its best behaviour and starts to get a bit sloppier than we've seen.  That will be more of a true test for Montembeault as a couple of good weeks doesn't erase a few poor months.

You can't pin all those losses on Montembeault (or Primeau) alone, though. Our defence has been atrocious at (many) times, giving the puck away or not covering open forwards. Neither kid is a CAREY PRICE who will cover up for all the defensive faux pas, but neither should they be expected to be.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Anyone still think Caufield needs to develop in Laval. 

he never needed it, he just needed a coach to trust him and give him some ice time. 

Well, given the choice of top line in Laval or playing 4th line for Ducharme, Laval would have still been a better choice ...

Another solid games for the Habs.

Congratulations to the team. If they ever get healthy and still play with this much Mojo, it will make tankers nervous 

Montembeault now over .900, and the first career shutout. Good for the kid.

I think we're due to lose to the Sens on Saturday, we need to regain our rightly position at the head of the draft lottery.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Montembeault now over .900, and the first career shutout. Good for the kid.

I think we're due to lose to the Sens on Saturday, we need to regain our rightly position at the head of the draft lottery.

After Ottawa they head out West to face some hungry teams, I don't expect the winning streak to last much longer but it's good to see them having a little fun. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

After Ottawa they head out West to face some hungry teams, I don't expect the winning streak to last much longer but it's good to see them having a little fun. 

It’s nice to see the team working hard, and Suzuki and Caufield producing and showing chemistry. I think we leapfrogged the Coyotes tonight, and we can’t keep doing passing teams. a tough road trip is a good thing right now.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Suzy said Andy is OK. Andy:ph34r: seems good complement with the 2 kids, so hope back Sat.

That's good to hear. Josh is a keeper, when he is going they aren't many wingers that can do what he can do plus he makes Suzuki and Caulfield play with a little more confidence knowing he has their back. 

9 hours ago, DON said:

Suzy said Andy is OK. Andy:ph34r: seems good complement with the 2 kids, so hope back Sat.

Great news ... but doesn't preclude a stay in IR ... even perhaps lengthy if there are broken bones.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

You can't pin all those losses on Montembeault (or Primeau) alone, though. Our defence has been atrocious at (many) times, giving the puck away or not covering open forwards. Neither kid is a CAREY PRICE who will cover up for all the defensive faux pas, but neither should they be expected to be.

Don't think he was referencing the losses but rather the quality of Montembeault's play, this year and in the past.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Don't think he was referencing the losses but rather the quality of Montembeault's play, this year and in the past.

I don't know his play in the past years at all, I don't recall ever seeing him play at all until the Habs picked him up.

But my opinion of his play earlier in the season is not quite as harsh as Brian's. I've watched most of the games this year (and nearly all the goals when I couldn't watch the games) and often our D was playing so badly that the goalies really had no chance on many of the goals.

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

Once again, you keep repeating this idea that depth in a prospect pool, means bottom pair and bottom liners.

Thats not the case. 

A b-prospect can still be a top liner, just the chances of it happening are lower.  The idea of depth is that if you have 3 B-Prospects at forward, 1 of them becomes a top sixer, 1 of them busts, and the third one could go either way.  That's what depth in a prospect pool is, not just shit prospects. 

Every team has tons of shit prospects, but they don't get praised for their depth.

Admittedly, much of my skepticism flows from 20 years of Habs’ drafting and development - two decades in which we’ve heard many times about our great prospects, and which yielded a grand total of ONE legitimate first-line FW in Max Pacioretty.

One.

(The record on D is somewhat better, provided we include two guys who were traded away - in which case we produced three top-paring D-men over the same two decades). 

Having heard this song and dance before - remember all the great studs on the farm we supposedly had during the first Gainey rebuild? Or how by about 2021 we would have these great kids leading us to glory? - I take the position of “fool me thrice, shame on me.” 

If, this time round, the results are better - and perhaps this new management group will actually understand player development - I will be the first person to be delighted.