2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It would definitely be nice to finish the season with a two-game mini winning streak!

Yea. One in which Petry, Hoffman, and Gallagher have HUGE game, and hopefully that will be a lasting memory to other teams this off-season so we can move them. 

it would be also nice to see Caufield, Suzuki, Romanov, Harris, and Poehling finish off with big games.

lastly, if Price is cleared and plays (doubtful), would be nice to see him get a win.

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Man can't remember as a habs fan being this excited about a draft.

I agree, I think this is roughly how their picks look in the 1st 4 rounds, I expect they will try and trade up with some of the extra picks. A lot of picks in the 1st 4 rounds, don't need to use them all to draft players, maybe trade a couple forward  to next year's draft if they are not used to trade up in this year's draft. 

Round 1

(1-3) their own pick

(25-32) Calgary's pick

Round 2

33 -  their own pick

52-55 Oilers pick (reverts to 2023 if they make the cup final)

Round 3

65 - their own pick 

74-75  Anaheim's pick

93-94  Carolina's pick

Round 4

97 - their own pick

120-122  Tampa's pick

120-122 Ranger's pick

It's our misfortune that there seem to be no franchise players in this year's crop. However, some of those "comparables" do tend to get the drool machine going. Cooley seems almost more exciting than Wright, in a way.

Top 2022 NHL Draft prospects compared to current players

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's our misfortune that there seem to be no franchise players in this year's crop. However, some of those "comparables" do tend to get the drool machine going. Cooley seems almost more exciting than Wright, in a way.

I wonder if we’d have a different perception of Wright if covid hadn’t been right in the middle of some key years of development. 

Could he actually just take an extra year or so, but has a little more potential than the consensus right now?

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Both Bergeron Jr and Pastrnak Jr available to be drafted! 🤪

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Both Bergeron Jr and Pastrnak Jr available to be drafted! 🤪

I would be happy with either of those guys but that might just be a comparison in styles.  Quite the write up on Cooley, makes you think that drafting 2nd overall wouldn't be awful. 

NHL Central Scouting analysis: "Cooley is a player who can impact games. His top-end speed is off the charts and his ability to quickly process and execute on plays make him a scoring threat every time he steps on the ice. He's a dynamic skater, shifty with a great burst with the puck and plays above the pace. He has high-end compete and makes players around him better. He decommitted from Notre Dame and will attend the University of Minnesota next season. It's the big Olympic rink in Minnesota so he's going to be hard to handle for NCAA defenders with all that extra space."

Of course I know zero about prospects. But based on the write-ups, Wright is a “responsible” player who does everything well, the guy coaches love, 200-ft game, a joyless Jonathan Toews/Bo Horvat type. Meanwhile Cooley is an electrifying difference-maker. Give me Cooley every day of the week. Apart from one big year from Kovalev, it has been so long since we had a player like that in Montreal.

Another way to put it is: is Wright’s standing as consensus #1 an offshoot of what we might call an “NHL ideology” that favours a 70-point Complete Player over a 90-point offensive dynamo? I don’t know the answer to that question, but the write-ups leave me with a decided whiff of that. That being said, I’m sure Wright will be a heavy-duty core player for whichever franchise lands him and would be delighted to have him on the Habs.

So what’s the deal with winning the lotto two years in a row now? If we get 1st OA this year is it impossible next year? 

It we win 1 OA this year, can we still get 2 OA next year? All the talk is on Bedard, but let’s not forget Michkov next year either.

21 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

So what’s the deal with winning the lotto two years in a row now? If we get 1st OA this year is it impossible next year? 

It we win 1 OA this year, can we still get 2 OA next year? All the talk is on Bedard, but let’s not forget Michkov next year either.

You can win 2 years in a row.

You cant win 3 times in 5 years.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You can win 2 years in a row.

You cant win 3 times in 5 years.

Ohh ok got it. That said I’d rather the Habs just improve and push for playoffs next year.

Who would you say are your 1 2 & 3?

and if we fall to 3, are there some players you want to avoid?

Wright
Cooley

Nemec

No one really to avoid at 3.  I mean you don't want to reach, so I would be fine with Kemmel, Slafovksy, Savoie, and Jiricek, but if we go beyond that, I'd have questions as to why. 

• Upvote 1

I would say that just because Wright is described as having a complete game this doesnt mean his offensive potential is low.  

Im not convinced that Cooley is better offensively.  Wright has been at about 1.8 ppg since early January.

After missing a full year he took some time to get going but once he did the offence is clearly there.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Wright
Cooley

Nemec

No one really to avoid at 3.  I mean you don't want to reach, so I would be fine with Slafovksy, Savoie, and Jiricek, but if we go beyond that, I'd have questions as to why. 

I am no scout but really like Slavkofsky at 3,  has perhaps the greatest potential but also perhaps the greatest uncertainty. I just hope the Hab scouts get it right whomever they pick. 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I would say that just because Wright is described as having a complete game this doesnt mean his offensive potential is low. 

Who comes to mind for you, for NHL comparables for the top 3 or 4 kids Ben?

12 minutes ago, DON said:

Who comes to mind for you, for NHL comparables for the top 3 or 4 kids Ben?

I always do stylistic comparisons, which are not projections for how many points they are going to get, or how their career is going to go... its just a style thing. 

Wright has a lot of Patrice Bergeron in him. 

Cooley reminds me of Brayden Point. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Wright
Cooley

Nemec

I agree, and in this order. IMO they are best players available and it is just a bonus that they all play positions that we need.

• Upvote 1

That huge slovakian winger is intriguing? I didnt watch any Olympics, but he obviously stood out there.

Is he a Euro Anderson-like powerhorse, or will he be a big lumbering winger, more like a Rene Bourque?

32 minutes ago, DON said:

That huge slovakian winger is intriguing? I didnt watch any Olympics, but he obviously stood out there.

Is he a Euro Anderson-like powerhorse, or will he be a big lumbering winger, more like a Rene Bourque?

I think that's what scouts are trying to figure out. He is definitely intriguing. That kind of size and skill is not easy to find. 

5 hours ago, illWill said:

I agree, and in this order. IMO they are best players available and it is just a bonus that they all play positions that we need.

100%, these happen to be my top 3 as well. People are fawning over slaf, but he scares me the most of every top 10 ranked player. I wish him a great career but I wonder if it’s hype over size olympics.

If we fall to 3, I’m super happy with Nemec. I feel like we’ve been missing a d man like him since the General himself. Even Subban wasn’t the general. (Markov for those who don’t get the reference) 

Wright Cooley Nemec. Very happy with either outcome :) 

so the real question now becomes who with our 2nd first round? If we don’t take Nemec, I want to trade up for mateychuk

15 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

so the real question now becomes who with our 2nd first round? If we don’t take Nemec, I want to trade up for mateychuk

I think that will be the real interesting part.  Using Calgary 1st and our 2nd (33rd overall) is pretty good currency to move up. 

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that will be the real interesting part.  Using Calgary 1st and our 2nd (33rd overall) is pretty good currency to move up. 

But, some good looking prospects should still be available in pick 26-32 & 33 range, same as always i suppose.:spamafote:  

Wright 1g5a in 4gm playoffs up 3-1 in series.