2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What should they do?  The team is rebuilding.  If injuries happen, you just let it ride.  No point trading picks or prospects to get short term injury help during this season. 

Exactly, no need at all to worry or panic if they get hit with injuries. 

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's a 7th round pick.  He's already better than we could have hoped. 

From the "when drafted in 2014" perspective absolutely ... but he raised the bar last season and from that perspective he is slipping.

I am thinking from a sellers perspective. The Habs have expensive players that may fill an LTIR hole in another team. A bunch of teams in a wild card situation due to injuries may be interest choices 

The "carrot" for the NHLPA would apparently be a reduction in pre-season games and perhaps a shorter training camp ... it would also add revenues to the salary cap calculations.

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am thinking from a sellers perspective. The Habs have expensive players that may fill an LTIR hole in another team. A bunch of teams in a wild card situation due to injuries may be interest choices 

Only Dadonov, Drouin and Monahan, and at this point really on Monahan, fit that model as all other Habs have at least another year on their contracts that would have cap impacts.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He's a 7th round pick.  He's already better than we could have hoped. 

True. I just remember two summers ago when we lost Danault, and folks were musing that maybe Evans could step up as a #2 C. I’m not saying this was a reasonable expectation, just that he’s one of those guys who impressed very early - but of whom it turns out that the player we saw on day one was basically the player we’d get on day 500. No “untapped potential” there to access.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The "carrot" for the NHLPA would apparently be a reduction in pre-season games and perhaps a shorter training camp ... it would also add revenues to the salary cap calculations.

To me, this is a solution looking for a problem.

The game I see out there is the most exciting it’s been since the 1980s. Leads aren’t safe. Dazzling talent flourishes. For year and years, the chattering classes around the NHL wrung their hands over how to get more offence and excitement. Well, now we have it, and it didn’t even require gimmicks like larger nets or going to four-man rosters. So, of course, the chatterers can’t just be happy; no, they have to now flip the script and identify “lack of rivalries” as some grave pathology within the game. I just don’t see it. 

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

To me, this is a solution looking for a problem.

The game I see out there is the most exciting it’s been since the 1980s. Leads aren’t safe. Dazzling talent flourishes. For year and years, the chattering classes around the NHL wrung their hands over how to get more offence and excitement. Well, now we have it, and it didn’t even require gimmicks like larger nets or going to four-man rosters. So, of course, the chatterers can’t just be happy; no, they have to now flip the script and identify “lack of rivalries” as some grave pathology within the game. I just don’t see it. 

I think that “lack of rivalries” is at best an excuse for "how can we make more money" ... that said, I could easily see this happening in the next couple of years.

T-minus 12 hours and 37 minutes ... NOT that I expect HuGo to make any trades until mid-January at the earliest. 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If the player is out for the season, then those teams have the LTIR space to burn. 

If the injured player is set to return this season, then they will need to clear space to reactivate him. This means they are more likely to use LTIR on AHL callups who will be sent down later, then on a trade. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

True. I just remember two summers ago when we lost Danault, and folks were musing that maybe Evans could step up as a #2 C. I’m not saying this was a reasonable expectation, just that he’s one of those guys who impressed very early - but of whom it turns out that the player we saw on day one was basically the player we’d get on day 500. No “untapped potential” there to access.

I never saw him as a number 2.  I saw him as a 4 who could MAYBE become a number 3 at best.  But I don't think he ever had the top 2 upside. 

I don't think the team did either.  The top 2 plan when Danault left was Suzuki-Kotkaniemi, and then once KK signed the offer sheet, it immediately pivoted to Suzuki-Dvorak.  I don't remember a time we ever seriously considered Evans as a top 2 line guy. But maybe I'm wrong. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

From the "when drafted in 2014" perspective absolutely ... but he raised the bar last season and from that perspective he is slipping.

I think last year he had a few extra points on a bad team.  I like Evans, but I really think he is a fourth liner who can kill penalties.  He maybe goes in the top 9 for short periods in case of injury, but I don't think he's a long term guy there.  I hoped he might, but it was never a guarantee and I think this season is showing he's not going to make the top 9 long term. 

Tuesday, December 20
Practice
LW C RW
22 - Cole Caufield 14 - Nick Suzuki 77 - Kirby Dach
20 - Juraj Slafkovsky 27 - Jonathan Drouin 17 - Josh Anderson
63 - Evgenii Dadonov 28 - Christian Dvorak 68 - Mike Hoffman
90 - Anthony Richard 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia
LD RD G
44 - Joel Edmundson 21 - Kaiden Guhle 34 - Jake Allen

54 - Jordan Harris

26 - Johnathan Kovacevic

35 - Sam Montembeault
72 - Arber Xhekaj 6 - Chris Wideman

Not really NHL related but seemed like the "best fit" ... Kaiden's 25-yr-old brother Brendan Guhle has retired ... Google translation of team statement below:

Guhle surprisingly ended his career

The Eisbären Berlin have to announce that defender Brendan Guhle has decided to end his active professional career with immediate effect for personal reasons.

The Canadian only moved to Berlin from the Anaheim Ducks organization in the summer. However, the defensive player was injured directly in the first group game of the Champions Hockey League and was then out for a long time. On November 30th he made his debut for the Polar Bears in the PENNY DEL and then played seven league games for the capital club. Last Saturday Guhle sporting director Stéphane Richer informed about his decision. His contract was terminated and the 25-year-old is already back in his homeland.

"It was a shock when Brendan informed us of his decision. We were completely caught off guard by this one. After surviving his injury, he was an important part of our defence. Both the coaches, the team and I tried to change his mind again. It will be difficult to replace him. We would like to state that Brendan's decision is not related to his injury from the summer. Of course, we wish him all the best for the future,” explains Eisbären sports director Stéphane Richer.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, GHT120 said:

My 1st thought was that it would be crazy to add 2 more games to the season.  However, Marty Biron made an interesting comment about an 84 game season.  Apparently back in 92-93 & 93-94 they played 84 game seasons and those years are considered 2 of the best ever.  ex:  Selane and Magilny had 76 goal seasons.  

I was almost thinking that they should shorten it.  They could easily change the games for teams not in same div but in same conference from 3 games/yr to 2 and have 74 game seasons and have the div rivalry they are talking about.  The NHL would lose quite a bit of money if they did that so they are unlikely to do it.   

Personally, I'd rather see a return to the old playoff format where there is no wildcard and the top 4 teams from each division make the playoffs.  I miss having Division winners and conference finals too.  Plus, that format would also increase rivalries because a playoff team wouldnt play a team outside their div unless they reach the 3rd round.    

14 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

My 1st thought was that it would be crazy to add 2 more games to the season.  However, Marty Biron made an interesting comment about an 84 game season.  Apparently back in 92-93 & 93-94 they played 84 game seasons and those years are considered 2 of the best ever.  ex:  Selane and Magilny had 76 goal seasons.  

I was almost thinking that they should shorten it.  They could easily change the games for teams not in same div but in same conference from 3 games/yr to 2 and have 74 game seasons and have the div rivalry they are talking about.  The NHL would lose quite a bit of money if they did that so they are unlikely to do it.   

Personally, I'd rather see a return to the old playoff format where there is no wildcard and the top 4 teams from each division make the playoffs.  I miss having Division winners and conference finals too.  Plus, that format would also increase rivalries because a playoff team wouldnt play a team outside their div unless they reach the 3rd round.    

Again, the “lack of rivalries” seems to me a total red herring. The game is hugely entertaining as is. On the other hand, I do find the NHL’s current playoff format confusing. It’s not that it’s incomprehensible, but rather that, on any given day, I have to sit there and puzzle out who is and is not in playoff position and how far Team X is out of a playoff spot. Part of the problem here is that a lot of websites and media outlets don’t properly organize the visual representation of who is in and who is out of a playoff spot; they never really restructured things in light of the current format.

So, something simpler would be good IMHO. Whether an 84-game season is needed for that is another question.

84 is the logical conclusion to the expansion to 32 teams.... .

4 games each against the other 7 teams in your division = 28

3 games each against the 8 non-division teams in your conference = 24

2 games each against the 16 teams ins the other conference = 32

28 + 24 + 32 = 84

Right now we get 82 in an artificial way cause we have 4 games against 5 of our division rivals, and 3 games against 2 of the division rivals. 

84 makes for a balanced schedule. 

When the league was 30 teams, the 82 worked, but the two new expansion teams means we have to alter it a little or have an unbalanced 82 game schedule.  It doesn't divide well. 

They are also saying max 5 preseason games per team so that we can add the two regular season games without adding more total games, or days to the calendar. 

Wednesday, December 28
Morning skate
LW C RW
22 - Cole Caufield 14 - Nick Suzuki 40 - Joel Armia
27 - Jonathan Drouin 77 - Kirby Dach 68 - Mike Hoffman
17 - Josh Anderson 28 - Christian Dvorak 20 - Juraj Slafkovsky
55 - Michael Pezzetta 71 - Jake Evans 90 - Anthony Richard / 63 - Evgenii Dadonov
    11 - Brendan Gallagher
LD RD G
44 - Joel Edmundson 21 - Kaiden Guhle 34 - Jake Allen

72 - Arber Xhekaj

26 - Johnathan Kovacevic

35 - Sam Montembeault
54 - Jordan Harris 52 - Justin Barron  
6 - Chris Wideman    

Brendan Gallagher, who hasn't played since November 29 after sustaining a lower-body injury, wore a regular practice jersey.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic