2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Caufield 39 games 0 penalty minutes so far.

Love the kid, but he's a one-dimensional player: a scoring machine. 

That's really just fine by me, BTW. 😉

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Cole is much better with the puck than I expected.  He is very shifty and seems to be able ro protect the puck very well for his size. That is another dimension to his game imo.

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

Cole is much better with the puck than I expected.  He is very shifty and seems to be able ro protect the puck very well for his size. That is another dimension to his game imo.

agree 100%

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

agreed 100%

Watching the Oilers and Avs play in OT is a real treat when Mackinnon, Makar, McDavid and Draisaitl are 4 of the 6 players on the ice. Too bad they couldn't play longer.  That Makar is something else.  It shows again that draft rankings are far far from perfect. The 4th player taken and easily the best player from that draft. 

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That Makar is something else.  It shows again that draft rankings are far far from perfect. The 4th player taken and easily the best player from that draft. 

Absolutely the best ... Colorado was BY FAR the worst team in the league that season (by 21 points), so in so many ways it was only fair that despite NJD, Flyers and Stars moving up under the then lottery rules the Avs got the best player ... thankfully they finished last ... second to last wouldn't have been horrible, it would have given them great centre depth with Pettersson ... but third worst would have screwed them royally in a weak draft year ... IN TERMS OF DRAFT OPTIONS, finisher lower is always better.

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Absolutely the best ... Colorado was BY FAR the worst team in the league that season (by 21 points), so in so many ways it was only fair that despite NJD, Flyers and Stars moving up under the then lottery rules the Avs got the best player ... thankfully they finished last ... second to last wouldn't have been horrible, it would have given them great centre depth with Pettersson ... but third worst would have screwed them royally in a weak draft year ... IN TERMS OF DRAFT OPTIONS, finisher lower is always better.

Of course going into the draft you would always like the higher pick but sometimes the better player falls in your lap. Petterson ended up going 5th that year.  A couple guys from that draft have really had excellent years so far, Vilardi at 11 and Necas at 12.  Suzuki was taken 13th. Norris at 19th and Thomas at 20 have turned out pretty well. Of course we all know Patrick at 2 hasn't turned out so far. Bobby Clarke can tell you who to blame for that. 

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Yes indeed. But I took HabsFan’s point to be more that folks often talk about prospects (especially top prospects) and draft picks in a tone of strident certainty. This happens in the lead up to draft (“Louis Leblanc will be a top-6 NHL C!”), or on draft day (“the Habs added a future franchise cornerstone in Louis Leblanc!”), or after draft day (“just wait 2-3 years for Louis Leblanc to stabilize our C position!”), or when they look back in retrospect on a team’s “mistakes” from a given year (“turns out Leblanc sucks and the Habs should have known better all along”). 

The best prospect from 2017 was certainly Makar, who is a generational talent as a defenceman. 4th overall. The second best prospect was Pettersson, who was #5. I’m pretty sure none of these experts (or fans) were saying that Makar and Peterson were the two top players in the draft. No doubt Philly fans were super excited to have added Nolan Patrick at #2. D’oh.

This is one reason why tanking is not the miracle cure so many fans think. Yes, of course finishing lower is better because it increases your odds of getting a higher pick. But even the top pick is far from any guarantee of a franchise or generational player. It’s not even a guarantee of getting the best player in the draft, even if you have a capable and diligent scouting staff. Heck, look at our top line: Suzuki was #13, CC #15. 

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes indeed. But I took HabsFan’s point to be more that folks often talk about prospects (especially top prospects) and draft picks in a tone of strident certainty. This happens in the lead up to draft (“Louis Leblanc will be a top-6 NHL C!”), or on draft day (“the Habs added a future franchise cornerstone in Louis Leblanc!”), or after draft day (“just wait 2-3 years for Louis Leblanc to stabilize our C position!”), or when they look back in retrospect on a team’s “mistakes” from a given year (“turns out Leblanc sucks and the Habs should have known better all along”). 

The best prospect from 2017 was certainly Makar, who is a generational talent as a defenceman. 4th overall. The second best prospect was Pettersson, who was #5. I’m pretty sure none of these experts (or fans) were saying that Makar and Peterson were the two top players in the draft. No doubt Philly fans were super excited to have added Nolan Patrick at #2. D’oh.

This is one reason why tanking is not the miracle cure so many fans think. Yes, of course finishing lower is better because it increases your odds of getting a higher pick. But even the top pick is far from any guarantee of a franchise or generational player. It’s not even a guarantee of getting the best player in the draft, even if you have a capable and diligent scouting staff. Heck, look at our top line: Suzuki was #13, CC #15. 

No intelligent fan thinks that tanking is a miracle cure ... considering tanking is ONLY worthwhile in the occasional season when there is a consensus generational talent ... like this year ... that this draft has superior top-end depth makes it more logical.

In fairness to the Makar assessment, it was early in the ongoing evolution to more generally accept smaller defencemen with high-end offensive skills.

The key to any draft is having a management team that can identify the best player regardless of the "collective wisdom", which too often seems to overly favour centres (like QBs in the NFL) ... only time will tell whether it was the right choice but at least HuGo have shown they will buck the "collective wisdom".

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But I took HabsFan’s point to be more that folks often talk about prospects (especially top prospects) and draft picks in a tone of strident certainty.

Yes, top prospects get hyped a little too much. It is the entertainment business after all. We love to read about who our team might draft and TSN has entire shows dedicated to this. I still remember the year it was the big "Nail or Mikhail" debate.  Both complete busts.  Even in a weak draft year the top prospects get hyped a little too much. Will TSN ever come out and say it's a weak draft year?  That's not good for business. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DON said:

How will they fare vs the Kraken tomorrow?

Hope Barron dresses and Wideman sits.

I agree. Wideman is just terrible. O don't think he's ever won a puck battle. Not one time in his entire career.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes!!  Game over.  Florida also has a couple of tough games coming up in Colorado and Vegas. 

Habs have the toughest strength of schedule remaining, Florida the 6th ... fingers and toes crossed

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Habs have the toughest strength of schedule remaining, Florida the 6th ... fingers and toes crossed

I figure Florida has to go something like 27-12-2 to make the playoffs. That would give them 96 points. The odds are against it but you never know. Every loss gets us closer to another lottery pick.  Then it will really be time to cross fingers and toes when they draw the lottery balls. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I figure Florida has to go something like 27-12-2 to make the playoffs. That would give them 96 points. The odds are against it but you never know. Every loss gets us closer to another lottery pick.  Then it will really be time to cross fingers and toes when they draw the lottery balls. 

Even without a lottery win, a second top-10 pick in this year’s draft is a superb return for Chiarot.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Even without a lottery win, a second top-10 pick in this year’s draft is a superb return for Chiarot.

Absolutely a superb return.  It is nice to dream about winning the lottery though without getting your hopes up too much. 

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

No intelligent fan thinks that tanking is a miracle cure ... considering tanking is ONLY worthwhile in the occasional season when there is a consensus generational talent ... like this year ... that this draft has superior top-end depth makes it more logical.

In fairness to the Makar assessment, it was early in the ongoing evolution to more generally accept smaller defencemen with high-end offensive skills.

The key to any draft is having a management team that can identify the best player regardless of the "collective wisdom", which too often seems to overly favour centres (like QBs in the NFL) ... only time will tell whether it was the right choice but at least HuGo have shown they will buck the "collective wisdom".

Makar was also playing in the BCHL in his draft year so he could keep his college eligibility.  Thats a very tough league to scout cause the competition level is low.  Its considered tier II (ie below major junior) because of that.

David Pastrnak with 32 goals and 58 points in 40 games. He is 26 years old and will be a UFA. I am guessing the Bruins are wishing they had signed him long term before the season started. I don't think I have ever seen a pending UFA in a better bargaining position.

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

David Pastrnak with 32 goals and 58 points in 40 games. He is 26 years old and will be a UFA. I am guessing the Bruins are wishing they had signed him long term before the season started. I don't think I have ever seen a pending UFA in a better bargaining position.

I just hope that he ain’t be following other bruins before him, and sign a team friendly deal. This year Horvat is also having a pretty good year as well.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I expect they tried but Pastrnak bet on himself.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect they tried but Pastrnak bet on himself.

A huge problem for the Bruins. If they can't sign him, the best they'll be able to do is trade his negotiating rights after the playoffs, and it won't get them much.

47 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I can't see him taking less than McAvoy who is making 9.5M

I’m hoping it will be over $10m. Preferably closer to $11m. I think even with the current cap crunch, he could easily get that on the open market.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic