2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

What is adjusted goals? Adjusted for games played? Adjusted for linemates? Adjusted for league scoring pace? Adjusted for goaltender equipment? There are so many things to adjust for ...

Adjusted for league scoring.  Which also adjusts for games played and goalie equipment, as it equalizes every season to 82 games.

The only thing (that you mentionned) that wouldnt be part of the adjustment is the linematss

From the Worst Performances of 2022 on The Athletic:

• Worst trade: Alex de Brincat to Ottawa -- and Kirby Dach to Montreal.

"You know what’s better than a core built around Connor Bedard? A core built around Connor Bedard, Alex DeBrincat and Kirby Dach. Maybe the picks acquired for the duo will match what those two bring to the table, but that’s not the likeliest scenario."

• Worst goal (honourable mention): "Jacob Markstrom’s aggressive save that pulled him out of the crease and led to a Montreal goal just 13 seconds into play (Dec. 1)."

The Habs themselves didn't manage to score any "worst" rankings :)

Friday, December 30
Practice
LW C RW
22 - Cole Caufield 14 - Nick Suzuki 77 - Kirby Dach
68 - Mike Hoffman 71 - Jake Evans 17 - Josh Anderson
20 - Juraj Slafkovsky 28 - Christian Dvorak 11 - Brendan Gallagher
63 - Evgenii Dadonov 27 - Jonathan Drouin 40 - Joel Armia / 90 - Anthony Richard
LD RD G
44 - Joel Edmundson 26 - Johnathan Kovacevic 34 - Jake Allen

54 - Jordan Harris

52 - Justin Barron

35 - Sam Montembeault
72 - Arber Xhekaj 58 - David Savard  
6 - Chris Wideman

I like those lines! After the TB game I was lobbying for MSL to put Dach back on Line 1, throw some placeholder as 4th-line C, and bump the other C up the lineup. Lo and behold. 

Now whether it’ll help is another matter, LOL.

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like those lines! After the TB game I was lobbying for MSL to put Dach back on Line 1, throw some placeholder as 4th-line C, and bump the other C up the lineup. Lo and behold. 

Now whether it’ll help is another matter, LOL.

Same lines, except for Savard, that bombed in Florida last night. 

Hoping for a more competitive outing on Saturday!

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Same lines, except for Savard, that bombed in Florida last night. 

Hoping for a more competitive outing on Saturday!

LOL. THIS time, it’ll work!! 

Good read, I could t agree more on Slafkovsky and Harris 

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Good read, I could t agree more on Slafkovsky and Harris 

I loved this. I had a very similar experience watching them live in Vancouver for that insane 7-6 game earlier this year. It really is remarkable how different things look when you’re there in person. In particular, I strongly agree on Anderson. He doesn’t get all that many points, but when you watch him live, you see a player who does all the little things, is a beast along the boards, physically dominates opponents, is a significant offensive zone presence, and carves guys up reliably behind the play. Just a nightmare to play against. I think he is worth/ keeping around as part of the transition from rebuild to contender - an example to the kids.

Interesting to read basically the same thing said about Gally. Another guy who, at this stage of his career, is often invisible on the broadcast, but does all the right things when you see the full ice.

Glum reflections on Slick Nick and Harris, but reality is what it is. Suzuki is suffering from the league recognizing that he is THE guy to stop on the Habs, and only time will tell if he can find yet another gear and adjust. 

Slaf…I get tired of screaming into the void about how the Habs are mangling his development. Very frustrating and totally unnecessary. 

• Like 1

Seems to me the Habs management and or coaching staff doesn’t trust the Laval coaching staff with development.

I am sad to see they seem to “ghost” their AHL team and surprised none of the journalists has questioned them about this

Talk about an extended honeymoon period 

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Seems to me the Habs management and or coaching staff doesn’t trust the Laval coaching staff with development.

I am sad to see they seem to “ghost” their AHL team and surprised none of the journalists has questioned them about this

Talk about an extended honeymoon period 

Well, a more positive spin might be that they have exceptional faith in MSL’s skills in player development. I remember Hughes playing up the MSL factor when acquiring Dach, for example - basically saying that under MSL Dach will flourish.

I like MSL, but this seems like a semi-religious faith to me, given that there is very little evidence for his merits or demerits as a developer of young talent. His body of work as a coach is extremely modest, so we simply don’t know.

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, a more positive spin might be that they have exceptional faith in MSL’s skills in player development. I remember Hughes playing up the MSL factor when acquiring Dach, for example - basically saying that under MSL Dach will flourish.

I like MSL, but this seems like a semi-religious faith to me, given that there is very little evidence for his merits or demerits as a developer of young talent. His body of work as a coach is extremely modest, so we simply don’t know.

I like MSL the coach as much as I like Gainey the GM

Good persons, great former stars, trying their best 

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

MSL doesnt have the talent on the roster.  But we still see that what hes doing is a million times better than what the previous coach did.

I am not restarting that conversation. Water under the bridge

MSL can own his own coaching. He is a big boy wearing grown up shoes 

dlbalr's weekly summery brings up good point:

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/01/habs-weekly-an-ugly-end-to-2022/

"Montreal doesn’t have a lot of veteran leadership.  Rebuilding teams rarely do.  But those teams want their veterans to lead by example, especially the ones that have an ‘A’ on their sweaters.  In Montreal, that’s Joel Edmundson and Brendan Gallagher.

What have those two leaders done lately?..."

6 minutes ago, DON said:

dlbalr's weekly summery brings up good point:

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/01/habs-weekly-an-ugly-end-to-2022/

"Montreal doesn’t have a lot of veteran leadership.  Rebuilding teams rarely do.  But those teams want their veterans to lead by example, especially the ones that have an ‘A’ on their sweaters.  In Montreal, that’s Joel Edmundson and Brendan Gallagher.

What have those two leaders done lately?..."

dlbalr always brings up good points. 👍

Discipline has been a problem all season, and lately they’ve been compounding that problem rather than moderating it. That said, it can’t be easy. They’re struggling to return from injuries, and simultaneously they find the team melting down. Many veterans would get frustrated in that situation, perhaps more frustrated than “just happy to be here” kids might be. 

This takes a couple of the bigger "names" off the trade market for several weeks

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

dlbalr always brings up good points. 👍

I thought same in hindsight.

But, just reminded me of Gallagher breaking his stick over the boards after getting dinged up a bit, i assumed he was seriously injured to be so worked up.

40 minutes ago, DON said:

But, just reminded me of Gallagher breaking his stick over the boards after getting dinged up a bit, i assumed he was seriously injured to be so worked up.

I didn't even mind that too much.  Lots of players do that when they think they're seriously injured so I gave him a pass on that one.  In the Washington game, it was him going out of his way to mouth off at one of the referees that was flat out unacceptable, especially from someone that's supposed to lead by example.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I didn't even mind that too much.  Lots of players do that when they think they're seriously injured so I gave him a pass on that one.  In the Washington game, it was him going out of his way to mouth off at one of the referees that was flat out unacceptable, especially from someone that's supposed to lead by example.

This is an example of what I meant by “Gallagher’s attitude” that I’m sick of. 

His entire shtick is old, disruptive and useless. Gallagher is constantly involved in nonsense with someone. 

Work the boards and front of the net dude and score some goals. 

Savard in regular jersey 2nd pairing

Monday, January 2
Practice
LW C RW
22 - Cole Caufield 14 - Nick Suzuki 77 - Kirby Dach
68 - Mike Hoffman 27 - Jonathan Drouin 17 - Josh Anderson
20 - Juraj Slafkovsky 28 - Christian Dvorak 11 - Brendan Gallagher
55 - Michael Pezzetta 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia
LF RD G
44 - Joel Edmundson 52 - Justin Barron 34 - Jake Allen

54 - Jordan Harris

58 - David Savard