2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 hours ago, DON said:

Or trade down?

https://awinninghabit.com/2023/06/19/montreal-canadiens-trading-habs-looking-trade/

"If the Coyotes offer the 6th pick and Habs 2024 second rounder, it would be wise of the Canadiens to move back. The Capitals could also offer the 8th pick and the 40th overall pick in this year’s draft to move up to 5th.

Or, perhaps the Capitals really want to get rid of Anthony Mantha’s contract and offer up the 8th pick and their first round pick in 2024 and Mantha to move up to fifth. If any of those kinds of offers come across Hughes desk, he should hang up on the Ducks and Sharks and pull the trigger on a trade that moves the Canadiens down a few spots."

If the Habs don't get the player they want falling to them at 5 or can't trade up to get him then trading down is not a bad idea if the return is worth it as I think they will still get a really good player in the 6-8 slot (ie. one of Leonard, Benson or Reinbacher).  I actually like the 2 trades in the above scenarios. 

• Like 1

My preference would still be to get a center to compliment Suzuki (ie. Carlsson, Fantilli or Smith) but if that can't be done and they aren't crazy about Michkov at 5 then Washington may be the perfect trading partner if Washington really wants Michkov. 

UN RECRUTEUR RUSSE DES CAPITALS ÉCORCHE MATVEI MICHKOV
- TVA Sports

Scouting for the Washington Capitals in Russia, Andrei Nikolishin condemned the behavior and attitude of Matvei Michkov in a video shared on YouTube.

His remarks were picked up by the Russian media Gazeta.

"Because of his character and his attitude towards his teammates, coaching staff, management and supporters, he has fallen very low in the esteem of scouts and management," said Nikolishin, a former NHL forward who played 628 games with the Hartford Whalers, Capitals, Chicago Blackhawks and Colorado Avalanche in the National Hockey League.

Nikolishin worked for six years as a scout for the Chicago Blackhawks before joining the Capitals organization in 2022.

“I can show you our correspondence from when I wanted to meet him and ask him a few questions. I have never witnessed such a great lack of respect,” continued Nikolishin about the promising Russian striker.

Is this legit ... OR ... Capitals' propaganda to try to get Michkov to fall to #8 (or wherever they draft if they trade up).

Fortunately Bobrov has history in the KHL and with Michkov's team, so he should be able to get the inside scoop.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Is this legit ... OR ... Capitals' propaganda to try to get Michkov to fall to #8 (or wherever they draft if they trade up).

Fortunately Bobrov has history in the KHL and with Michkov's team, so he should be able to get the inside scoop.

It does sound a little suspicious to me. Why would one of your scouts share information publicly about a highly touted prospect on You Tube?  If Michkov shows up at the draft like he is supposed to and meets with teams then perceptions will likely change.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Or trade down?

https://awinninghabit.com/2023/06/19/montreal-canadiens-trading-habs-looking-trade/

"If the Coyotes offer the 6th pick and Habs 2024 second rounder, it would be wise of the Canadiens to move back."

Worth noting, this move would also open up way more offer-sheeting scenarios if anyone's interested in seeing Montreal go that route.  To do an offer sheet, the team must have their own picks so right now, any offer sheet compensation that involves a 2024 second-round pick is an option that the Habs can't do.

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It does sound a little suspicious to me. Why would one of your scouts share information publicly about a highly touted prospect on You Tube?  If Michkov shows up at the draft like he is supposed to and meets with teams then perceptions will likely change.

As I learned from hiring people, one must take anything said in an interview with a grain of salt ... Bobrov likely being able to provide independent confirmation will be important.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Only if the Caps take Armia to clear salary

What does this have to do with anything? Armia?

Someone noted CBJ now how 3 good RH d-men and also have 22 yr old RH d-man Adam Boqvist.

And maybe will to part with him for a young forward (Roy-Kidney-Farrell...). KInda what Habs need.

CBJ GM:

"We wanted to be aggressive in addressing the needs in our blueline, and we got two solid top-4 defensemen that can help us a lot."

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Worth noting, this move would also open up way more offer-sheeting scenarios if anyone's interested in seeing Montreal go that route.  To do an offer sheet, the team must have their own picks so right now, any offer sheet compensation that involves a 2024 second-round pick is an option that the Habs can't do.

I don't think offer sheeting is Hughe's preferred route to go but that's good information to know. 

WOW ... this is a "unique" ranking ... know absolutely nothing about this guy/platform.

Reinbacher #15
Michkov #18

Fantilli #21
Smith #22
Dvorsky #23

Emgels sportsnet bit on draft;

https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/canadiens-2023-draft-preview-can-kent-hughes-find-a-way-to-steal-the-show/

Did Hughes coach Ryan Leonard also, I like his comparables (noted by Hughes anyways)? Another nice looking option at 5.

"When Hughes was asked at the combine about the right winger who scored 51 goals in 57 games with the United States Development Team this past season, he said he’s a player who “plays in the style of Matthew and Brady Tkachuk.”"

2 hours ago, DON said:

What does this have to do with anything? Armia?

Someone noted CBJ now how 3 good RH d-men and also have 22 yr old RH d-man Adam Boqvist.

And maybe will to part with him for a young forward (Roy-Kidney-Farrell...). KInda what Habs need.

CBJ GM:

"We wanted to be aggressive in addressing the needs in our blueline, and we got two solid top-4 defensemen that can help us a lot."

was looking at the salary structure, and did a lineup where players may fall.

If I was the GM and I was trading down in the draft, I would try to dump one of the three boat achors. Armia, Hoffman, Gallagher are IMHO the order of likeliness to be traded in something like this.

The teams, needs to fix the salary cap during the rebuild, so that they do not end up in EDM's or TOR's situation when they'll be competing again.

Habs have to shed around $2.5M to only have Price's cap using the LTIR more if they want to have cap room for trades, contract extensions and maybe UFAs.

image.png

Edited by alfredoh2009
clarified salary thoughts

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

was looking at the salary structure, and did a lineup where players may fall.

If I was the GM and I was trading down in the draft, I would try to dump one of the three boat achors. Armia, Hoffman, Gallagher are IMHO the order of likeliness to be traded in something like this.

The teams, needs to fix the salary cap during the rebuild, so that they do not end up in EDM's or TOR's situation when they'll be competing again.

Habs have to shed around $2.5M to only have Price's cap using the LTIR more if they want to have cap room for trades, contract extensions and maybe UFAs.

image.png

Gallagher is a boat anchor but I think he is virtually untradeable without taking back another anchor or giving up high picks/good prospects so I don't worry about it and have accepted he will be around for a while barring a career ending injury.  Hoffman, I just leave, only 1 year left, maybe get a mid to late round pick at the deadline while taking back 50% if he has a decent season.  Armia, he is over paid at 3.4 but only 2 years left and if (big if) he can stay healthy and have a decent season then there could be some interest and a chance to unload him but a little patience will be required before that can happen. I think right now Hughes has other priorities before the draft rather than trying to get rid of bad contracts.  I just don't see any buyouts at this point. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I was the GM and I was trading down in the draft, I would try to dump one of the three boat achors. Armia, Hoffman, Gallagher 

Just dosent seem very smart move to me or that Hughes is worrying about these 3 guys at the moment. And what is the hurry to give away stuff just to get rid of these guys now? Kinda doubt any of these 3 are going anywhere in the next 2 weeks.

I would say, do the opposite and take on another short term bad contract if possible,  if it comes with future assets.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/06/18/montreal-canadiens-comparing-bergevin-and-hughes-draft-pick-value-habs-picks-slafkovsky-rumours-canadiens/

Canadiens Draft Pick value chart

When I look at potential trading partners for the Habs to move up it seems like San Jose might be a good partner. When I look at the San Jose defense I see Vlasic at 36, Karlsson at 33 and not much else other than a couple decent prospects. Their top 4 prospects are all forwards. It seems like San Jose needs more good young defensemen than forwards while the Habs are the reverse.  Perhaps a deal to be made here if Hughes really wants Will Smith. 

I don't think GMing is well served with a one track mind. Improving the team is improving the team, and I am sure that the draft team and the professional scout team can handle lots of the scenario building and assessment.

but since a proposal was put here about possible trading down with ARZ or WSH, I would have looked to dump a salary on that trade, to give more cap space breathing room to the roster.

For example, the proposed trade with WSH for Mantha, I would swap Mantha ($5.7M/1yr) for Armia and Pitlick ($3.4M + 1$.1M = $4.5M this year, $8.9M total) drop down to 8th and ask for either Chesley or Iorio and the better of theis 3 2nds in 2025.

Habs would get a top-10 pick this year, get rid of salary, make room for RHP, get a decent RHD prospect and get a decent 2nd round pick in 2025.

Caps get cap relief this year, get a better draft pick this year and replace some of their older UFAs with younger 4th liners

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't think GMing is well served with a one track mind. Improving the team is improving the team, and I am sure that the draft team and the professional scout team can handle lots of the scenario building and assessment.

but since a proposal was put here about possible trading down with ARZ or WSH, I would have looked to dump a salary on that trade, to give more cap space breathing room to the roster.

For example, the proposed trade with WSH for Mantha, I would swap Mantha ($5.7M/1yr) for Armia and Pitlick ($3.4M + 1$.1M = $4.5M this year, $8.9M total) drop down to 8th and ask for either Chesley or Iorio and the better of theis 3 2nds in 2025.

Habs would get a top-10 pick this year, get rid of salary, make room for RHP, get a decent RHD prospect and get a decent 2nd round pick in 2025.

Caps get cap relief this year, get a better draft pick this year and replace some of their older UFAs with younger 4th liners

Washington wants to move Matha to create cap space ... anything adding cap space to the Caps (in this example) reduces what else the Habs can possibly expect to receive in such a deal ... in ANY trade, if HuGo tries to move out an "anchor(s)" it offsets a portion of the value of the #5 pick and significantly reduces the return.

Gallagher's contract is really the only one that matters. Hoffman is done after the next season, and Armia has only one more--and at $3.4M his contract is not going to sink the team.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Emgels sportsnet bit on draft;

https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/canadiens-2023-draft-preview-can-kent-hughes-find-a-way-to-steal-the-show/

Did Hughes coach Ryan Leonard also, I like his comparables (noted by Hughes anyways)? Another nice looking option at 5.

"When Hughes was asked at the combine about the right winger who scored 51 goals in 57 games with the United States Development Team this past season, he said he’s a player who “plays in the style of Matthew and Brady Tkachuk.”"

No.  Hughes coached in the Boston Jr.  Eagles system.  Leonard is from mass, but not boston

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think only a pro scout could give a reasonable answer to that question. 

It is interesting (and unfortunate) how much more stacked this year is compared to last. It's safe to say the top 4 this year would have been #1 with a bullet last year, and the question is how many more of this crop of forwards would have come before Slaf, Cooley or Wright.