2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can’t see Columbus making all these deals this summer and signing Gaudreau to a big deal if get are drafting a guy who won’t be here for 3 years. When Grier took the job in SJS he also said that ownership doesn’t want a long rebuild. So unless we take him at 5, he probably drops further.

Even if that is true (tend to agree), would the Ducks risk it ... CBJ or SJS trading down with 'Yotes or caps would also be a serious threat.

46 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I really like Ryan Leonard, with him and Caufield the Habs would be set at RW for a long time.  Great compete level and talent.  My preference would still be getting a stud center in this draft.  We will know in 7 more sleeps. 

These guys fav is Leonard, they think he 'may' play centre?

The Siberian sniper MM is arriving soon.:spamafote:

Momentous occasion today: I have to get dressed up. Hope I remember how to tie a tie.

Quick Matvei Michkov update: He arrives in the U.S. in the next day or so and will be in Nashville by early next week.

His agent Max Moliver has scheduled interviews with multiple clubs,…

48 minutes ago, DON said:

... His agent Max Moliver has scheduled interviews with multiple clubs,…

Per Puckpedia, Moliver is not a very busy agent ... FOUR clients ... Igor Shesterkin, Evgenii Dadonov, Pavel Dorofeyev and Timur Ibragimov.

this person makes a good point:

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Every team has different criteria and a different risk tolerance.

We are also assuming all these reports are exactly correct, are coming from GMs and not player agents, and are not those same GMs playing "poker" prior to the draft.  Also we are assuming that every team's scouting dept is evaluating Michkov the same. 

But sure, let's believe it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Seemed like a reasonable place to post this. 

I never expected a QO

Pending any trades, the Habs have 13 NHL contract forwards at the moment (per CapFriendly) ... it includes Pitlick and Pezetta but doesn't count Belxile, Ylönen and RHP who all played 30+ games last season ... or Farrell who joined the team for the end of the season ...  let alone any of the other youngsters/prospects ... it will be interesting to see if HuGo can make enough moves to have room to consider even trying to sign Gurianov.

How happy will you be from 1-10 if one of these are picked at 5: Michkov, Smith, Benson, Leonard, Reinbacher, Dvorsky 

Michkov: 9.5/10

Smith: 9.5/10

Benson: 9/10

Leonard: 8/10

Reinbacher: 3/10

Dvorsky: 4.5/10

This made me realize we have a looot of amazing options at 5. Trusting in HuGo to make the right choice and not galaxy brain it

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

How happy will you be from 1-10 if one of these are picked at 5: Michkov, Smith, Benson, Leonard, Reinbacher, Dvorsky 

Michkov: 9.5/10 - 9/10

Smith: 9.5/10 -     8/10

Benson: 9/10 -     9/10

Leonard: 8/10 -    9.5/10

Reinbacher: 3/10 - 3/10

Dvorsky: 4.5/10 -   4/10

(Carlsson would be 10/10)

• Upvote 1

How happy will you be from 1-10 if one of these are picked at 5:

Michkov: 10/10

Smith: 9/10

Benson: 8.5/10

Leonard: 8.5/10

Reinbacher: 4/10

Dvorsky: 2.5/10

If we want either Reinbacher or Dvorsky we need to trade back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Smith: 9.5/10 -     8/10

Interesting ... why did you choose such a low rating on Smith? Most rankings have him well ahead of Benson and Leonard.

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

This made me realize we have a looot of amazing options at 5. Trusting in HuGo to make the right choice and not galaxy brain it

Michkov 10

Smith 9.5

Benson 9

Leonard 7

Reinbacher 6

Dvorsky 1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Interesting ... why did you choose such a low rating on Smith? Most rankings have him well ahead of Benson and Leonard.

Pretty uneducated gut feeling is all; Smith didnt seem like a real centre to me and slow backchecking at U-18s. But, he had awesome offense numbers, so what do i really know.

Like the hype for both Benson (non stop motor) and Leonard (physical and skilled) and would be pretty pumped to see either picked, thats all.

4 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Mine would be:

Leonard: 9.0/10

Dvorsky: 3/10

I agree with an earlier quote that if we are taking Reinbacher or Dvorsky then we can trade down and still get them. 

Now who would the Capital be targeting if they want to move up?  

David Pagnotta

@TheFourthPeriod

·

10h

With the NHL Draft five days away, the Capitals are exploring ways to move up from 8th overall, the Flyers are hoping to add another first-round pick, the Blues continue to dangle No25 & No29, and the Leafs are shopping the 28th pick for immediate help.

54 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Mine would be:

I agree with an earlier quote that if we are taking Reinbacher or Dvorsky then we can trade down and still get them. 

Arizona is taking Reinbacher at 6 if we pass on him.  Im pretty sure.

Unless they want Michkov.

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Mine would be:

Interesting with Benson at 8.5. Benson might be my “favourite” prospect in the draft. If we didn’t already have a few smaller guys in the top 6 I’d put him up there with smith. Even then I think I’m letting the difference between 5’10 and 6’0 affect me too much 

I have a feeling he’s gonna turn out similar to a Brayden Point 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Interesting with Benson at 8.5. Benson might be my “favourite” prospect in the draft. If we didn’t already have a few smaller guys in the top 6 I’d put him up there with smith. Even then I think I’m letting the difference between 5’10 and 6’0 affect me too much 

I have a feeling he’s gonna turn out similar to a Brayden Point 

I guess what I was trying to say is that I like Leonard slightly better than Benson because of the physical component but I really like Benson too.  Just not sure how many small guys you can have in the top 6.  I am no pro scout so my opinions are just opinions of a die hard Habs fan who has read stuff and watched some clips. Should be an interesting week coming up. 

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess what I was trying to say is that I like Leonard slightly better than Benson because of the physical component but I really like Benson too.  Just not sure how many small guys you can have in the top 6.  I am no pro scout so my opinions are just opinions of a die hard Habs fan who has read stuff and watched some clips. Should be an interesting week coming up. 

Yea I’m kind of in a similar spot in that I’m worried about how good of a fit Benson is. Awesome player though. 

Also agree with Don, Carlson falling to 5 would be 10/10.

only way I see that happening is CBJ loves Smith and takes him at 3, and SJS are dead set on Michkov at 4. That would be crazy 

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Now who would the Capital be targeting if they want to move up?  

David Pagnotta

@TheFourthPeriod

·

10h

With the NHL Draft five days away, the Capitals are exploring ways to move up from 8th overall, the Flyers are hoping to add another first-round pick, the Blues continue to dangle No25 & No29, and the Leafs are shopping the 28th pick for immediate help.

Wild Hypotheticals (just for some fun)

• #5 for #8 and right to swap first-rounders in 2024 and/or 2025
  • I'd stay away from the Flyers, Briere seems to be on an early "winning streak"
  • #5, #31 and Dvorak for #10, #25, #29, 2024 2nd and Marco Scandella*
  • Edmundson to Laffs for #28

* - Blues apparently want to get rid of Marco ... he is a 2024 UFA and I do seem to recall him playing some right-side when he was here (one-year stop gap) ... Blues reportedly want/need a 3C.