2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

Bit older kid (Oct 04), seems a 'smart' choice, his skating supposed to be a strong point, which is great.

I guessed Arizona would take him at 6 and he dosent seems a surprise pick at all.

https://theathletic.com/4645546/2023/06/28/nhl-draft-2023-first-round-grades-analysis/

"Thoughts on the pick:

In Reinbacher the Canadiens get a true premium defense prospect, a player with top pair potential and a chance to become a star if he really hits. Reinbacher immediately becomes the best defense talent in the Habs organization, and a future blue line with him, Kaiden Guhle, Logan Mailloux, Lane Hutson and Justin Barron looks like potentially a very good group. Reinbacher is a mobile, competitive defenseman with size and offensive upside."

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Clearly, team need played at least a bit of a role in Reinbacher being next up on their list after the 4 C's.

Booo! I don’t like that line of thinking much at all. 

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Bit older kid (Oct 04), seems a 'smart' choice, his skating supposed to be a strong point, which is great.

I guessed Arizona would take him at 6 and he dosent seems a surprise pick at all.

https://theathletic.com/4645546/2023/06/28/nhl-draft-2023-first-round-grades-analysis/

"Thoughts on the pick:

In Reinbacher the Canadiens get a true premium defense prospect, a player with top pair potential and a chance to become a star if he really hits. Reinbacher immediately becomes the best defense talent in the Habs organization, and a future blue line with him, Kaiden Guhle, Logan Mailloux, Lane Hutson and Justin Barron looks like potentially a very good group. Reinbacher is a mobile, competitive defenseman with size and offensive upside."

He has to become a bona-fide #1 D-Man for this pick to justify itself IMHO - assuming the alternative choices pan out as expected. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

But when you read how forward heavy this draft is, how elite the top 6-7 forwards are, and how they are all arguably better than Slafkovsky, it’s hard to accept taking a dman - even though we need a RH dman. Particularly since the dmen this year are supposed to the weakest of any recent draft class.

So, we can conclude that either the Habs’ hockey ops department doesn’t know how to read the Internet, or that they think they have better information than the Internet pundits do.

Don’t forget that they are not making decisions based so much on what these kids have done in the past few years, but really on what they believe they can develop into. And, for that, understanding your own player development and coaching capabilities also has a big impact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Admittedly I was surprised by this pick, perhaps not a sexy pick but I also know that stud RHD are hard to come by, no one is trading them away. I am no pro  scout so will trust the scouting department on this one.  Who thought Simashev would go at 6??  Likely no one. 

Yeah but that was by the joke of the league- a city who doesn’t belong in the NHL, and a team who did there best clown impressions with their fast food uniforms suits.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Clearly, team need played at least a bit of a role in Reinbacher being next up on their list after the 4 C's.

So they drafted for position with a top 5 pick 🙄

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Again - drafting for position , rather then BPA!

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Admittedly I was surprised by this pick, perhaps not a sexy pick but I also know that stud RHD are hard to come by, no one is trading them away. I am no pro  scout so will trust the scouting department on this one.  Who thought Simashev would go at 6??  Likely no one. 

Elite prospects had ranked Reinbacher-Simachev 9-10, not 5-6 but.

(Local writers had them going 7th & 20th)

1 hour ago, DON said:

Elite prospects had ranked Reinbacher-Simachev 9-10, not 5-6 but.

(Local writers had them going 7th & 20th)

Mckenzie had Simashev at 19 so quite a jump to 6. We will have a good idea in 2-3 years whether Reinbacher is a good pick or not.  Today might be a little boring for Hab fans but you never know. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

So another player who really needs to learn who to protect himself from being in a vulnerable position🙄

34 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So another player who really needs to learn who to protect himself from being in a vulnerable position🙄

Hahaha, too funny, thanks.

For those of us who don't recognize the name

image.png

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So, we can conclude that either the Habs’ hockey ops department doesn’t know how to read the Internet, or that they think they have better information than the Internet pundits do.

Don’t forget that they are not making decisions based so much on what these kids have done in the past few years, but really on what they believe they can develop into. And, for that, understanding your own player development and coaching capabilities also has a big impact.

The easiest comment is always to turn the sarcasm on and talk about arm chair GMs vs being the real thing. With that being said, Hughes said that part of the reason that Michkov was not picked was because they could not watch Michkov live recently (since the war began), which is a major part of their scouting. Theoretically when it comes to the specific fact that they could only watch video on him for scouting purposes as of late, fans on the internet were in the same boat.

I am only going to ever compare Reinbacher to Michkov and not everyone else because I cannot argue that I absolutely wanted someone like Leonard or Benson so if Michkov does not pan out, I will stand corrected. It seems as though from what I have seen, however, that Michkov is the one with more potential.

The Habs have one pick left.  Lately, this has been the spot of picking a local player in his second or third year of draft eligibility.  Justin Gill and Maxime Pellerin are the two I have on my mini-board for that if they make another one of those selections.  Among non-locals, Luke Mittelstadt is one I had going earlier that's still unpicked.

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs have one pick left.  Lately, this has been the spot of picking a local player in his second or third year of draft eligibility.  Justin Gill and Maxime Pellerin are the two I have on my mini-board for that if they make another one of those selections.  Among non-locals, Luke Mittelstadt is one I had going earlier that's still unpicked.

History continues with the older late-round pick.  I had him on my board at 128.