Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I agree that he seems a longshot to crack the top 6 at the moment ... but a 7D in the NHL makes at least the NHL minimum ($775K as of this coming season) ... not many can do better in other leagues or away from hockey.

Big year in Laval for numerous folks to show what they got!

I hear this said and to me just dosent seem like a "hefty price" for a young proven NHL.

But, i dont know Newhook's game much, just recall his name from the draft.

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2023/07/08/habs-roster-too-many-men/

Where many fans are hung up, particularly that most fans are okay with the rebuild, is with the lack of trades, and even buyouts. The Canadiens paid a hefty price to acquire Alex Newhook from the Colorado Avalanche and, at the time of writing this, he has yet to put his name on a new contract. And Joel Edmundson has found a new home in the US Capital, joining Alex Ovechkin’s group.

image.png

1 hour ago, DON said:

I hear this said and to me just dosent seem like a "hefty price" for a young proven NHL.

But, i dont know Newhook's game much, just recall his name from the draft.

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2023/07/08/habs-roster-too-many-men/

Where many fans are hung up, particularly that most fans are okay with the rebuild, is with the lack of trades, and even buyouts. The Canadiens paid a hefty price to acquire Alex Newhook from the Colorado Avalanche and, at the time of writing this, he has yet to put his name on a new contract. And Joel Edmundson has found a new home in the US Capital, joining Alex Ovechkin’s group.

image.png

People are obsessed with draft picks nowadays. The fact that one player like Newhook would be considered a solid result from two second-round draft picks is overlooked.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Where many fans are hung up, particularly that most fans are okay with the rebuild, is with the lack of trades, and even buyouts.

I think some fans suffer from ADD, they need trades/action all the time. Sometimes the best trades are the one you don't make.  I don't see any reason for buyouts right now, what's the point?  They don't need the cap room this year. Especially for Hoffman, he is done after this year, maybe gone at the trade deadline, Armia's cap hit is not killing them, he might be tradeable at some point.  Gallagher, we are likely stuck with for a while, maybe a buyout in a couple years. I think some fans expectations are just unrealistic. 

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think some fans suffer from ADD, they need trades/action all the time. Sometimes the best trades are the one you don't make.  I don't see any reason for buyouts right now, what's the point?  They don't need the cap room this year. Especially for Hoffman, he is done after this year, maybe gone at the trade deadline, Armia's cap hit is not killing them, he might be tradeable at some point.  Gallagher, we are likely stuck with for a while, maybe a buyout in a couple years. I think some fans expectations are just unrealistic. 

Yes, 💯 

13 minutes ago, DON said:

If makes me feel better,i see that 2018, 2019, 2020 picks #31 & #37 all are total busts

(2021 we got Mailloux though, but bit weird situation).

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/07/writers-weigh-in-mixed-opinions-on-newhooks-addition/

2020 may be a bit early yet ... in 2019 #31 would have allowed them to draft Shane Pinto ... so only time will tell

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

2020 may be a bit early yet ... in 2019 #31 would have allowed them to draft Shane Pinto ... so only time will tell

I like the old writes on Newhook;

... He’ll look to build on a wildly successful 2019-20 freshman season that saw him score the seventh-most points in the NCAA Division 1 (19 goals, 23 assists, 42 points, plus-28). He won National Freshman of the Year award by leading all U-20 skaters in scoring.

Newhook is an incredible skater, comfortable shooting at top speed like Nate MacKinnon is. Prior to last season’s draft, prospect analysts pegged him as the draft’s second-fastest skater behind only top overall pick Jack Hughes.

And like Hawks with Dach, Aves gave up on him pretty quick.

image.png

Detroit gets Debrincat at a decent number for the rest of his 20's, and Ottawa recoups a 1st rounder. Both these teams are around the point we hope to be in a couple years and figure to finish ahead of us in the standings again. In fact, we're probably looking at another last place finish in the division, which IMO is good news for the rebuild because we need more top talent to become a real contender.

Ottawa totally loses on the two trades in totality.

They gave up 7th overall, 39th overall and a 2024 3rd rounder.

They get the worse pick in 2024 1st (det or bos), an average middle six winger, a very average prospect and a 4th.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They gave up 7th overall, 39th overall and a 2024 3rd rounder.

They get the worse pick in 2024 1st (det or bos), an average middle six winger, a very average prospect and a 4th.

Yeah, not a great look for them.  If they wind up with Tarasenko out of the cap space though, that will help a bit.

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I get the feeling that there were not a lot of suitors for DeBrincat and that was obviously the best offer on the table. 

There were more suitors but the contract demands scared off a few teams - Dorion noted at the draft that talks had progressed more than once to the point where the acquiring team had permission to speak to DeBrincat but pulled out after hearing his demands.  Detroit was his presumed preferred destination as well which probably didn't help Ottawa either.

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I get the feeling that there were not a lot of suitors for DeBrincat and that was obviously the best offer on the table. 

I think unlike Dubois, he actually did want to go home and that handcuffed the deals Ottawa could make.

Does seem a glut of players.

Am sure St Louis would like to see it pared down somehow.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/montreal-canadiens/analysis/way-too-early-roster-projection-for-the-montreal-canadiens

Oct 11th is 1st game, jeepers that just seem so late to start the season, to me anyways.

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

They gave up 7th overall, 39th overall and a 2024 3rd rounder. They get the worse pick in 2024 1st (det or bos), an average middle six winger, a very average prospect and a 4th.

They do lose, yes, but it's really not a shock. A player with two years remaining should always be more valuable than one with a single year. Dorion thought he could entice DeBrincat to sign an extension, but his gamble didn't pay off.

5 hours ago, DON said:

Does seem a glut of players.

Am sure St Louis would like to see it pared down somehow.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/montreal-canadiens/analysis/way-too-early-roster-projection-for-the-montreal-canadiens

Oct 11th is 1st game, jeepers that just seem so late to start the season, to me anyways.

I am not a fan of their lineup, I still wouldn't hand the top-6 spot to Juraj yet : in my view, he has to earn it but would be fine on a 3rd line to start (Laval instead of 4th line if he struggles).

I also would prefer for Baron to stay in the NHL if he wins a spot. I thought he played well most games late last season. If Barron earns an NHL roster spot, then one of Xhekaj or Harris should start in Laval to play lots of minutes.

Here is my lineup, (*) means they are playing there because of Dvorak's injury:

(?) means they may go to AHL if struggling:

Monahan-Suzuki-Caufield

Hoffman(*)-Dach-Anderson

Slafkovsky(?)-Newhook(*)-Gallagher

Pezzetta-Evans-HaveyPinard

Ylonen, Armia

Matheson-Baron(?)

Guhle-Savard

Harris-Kovacevic

Xhekaj-Wideman

I doubt this happens. But it is my way-to-early-roster-preference

Edited by alfredoh2009
forgot Armia, and added ? for potential send-downs

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

They do lose, yes, but it's really not a shock. A player with two years remaining should always be more valuable than one with a single year. Dorion thought he could entice DeBrincat to sign an extension, but his gamble didn't pay off.

And who is to blame for all of that, Dorion.

There can be reasons, but all of those reasons were things in control of the GM.  

Its bad GM work to lose this many assets for a player who was on your roster as essentially a one-year rental, for a team that didn't even make the playoffs..... I mean its a 7th overall pick included in all this (and a 39th) to get back a pick likely to be in the 20s, for a one year rental.

That has to go as a major loss in the column of Dorian the GM, when the new ownership takes over and decides who will be retained and who won't.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

You can criticize Dorian for making the deal for DeBrincat thinking he’d be able to convince him to resign with an up and coming team last year. I thought he needed a top dman more than a scorer, and have been critical of his goalie pickups - although I liked him dumping Murrey on the leafs😁

I thought the price last year for DeBrincatwas high, but I liked that he was bold and was trying to get the Sens to to take the next step. I also thought it was great that he went for a young player that could have contributed and been part of the Senators window given the other young players, rather than a chasing after a close to washed up free agent.  

I don’t see how anyone can be critical of the deal he made. Unlike Dubois, DeBrincat wanted to go home and was willing to take less money and term to do so. Dorian had three choices.

1) see if DeBrincat can help them get into the playoffs this year, and if they do, hope he changes his mind and stays, or lose him for nothing. Even if went this route, and they made the playoffs, i think DeBrincat would have left.

2) keep him, retain 50% and move him at the deadline. I doubt if that would have made others on the team happy. I’m pretty sure they’d rather try and get help now to improve, which moving him does.

3) take whatever you can get now, add an asset who can help, get prospects, and free up cap space to get someone who will help them.

All things considered, I think he did the best he could have given the circumstances, and if he gets Tarasanko and gets in the playoffs, I’d say it’s a win.

this shows how a player who really wants to go home can in this type of circumstance can force a teams hand, in comparison to a guy like Dubois, who just wanted out of frigidipeg, and took the most money, term, to go to the beaches of La La Land and used going home as leverage.

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There can be reasons, but all of those reasons were things in control of the GM.  

Its bad GM work to lose this many assets for a player who was on your roster as essentially a one-year rental, for a team that didn't even make the playoffs..... I mean its a 7th overall pick included in all this (and a 39th) to get back a pick likely to be in the 20s, for a one year rental.

That has to go as a major loss in the column of Dorian the GM, when the new ownership takes over and decides who will be retained and who won't.

Agree that a 7th was a huge price to pay. But, at least they were closer to a playoff spot than us in giving up the 31 and 37 for Newhook, and taking a dman at 5. We could have taken Leonard, who projects to be much better than Newhook, and we could have taken another dman at 31, who could have been a middle pairing dman. Could have taken Gulyayev ourselves, and taken Gibson or Dvorak as well with the 37.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Absolutely. But the big problem was the price he paid for DeBrincat to start, I think, without the certainty of an extension. Now he was stuck--with a problem of his own making.