2023 draft, Pick 5: David Reinbacher

tomh009

Interesting, I just saw Reinbacher say the 1st thing he did when he arrived in Montreal is he met up with Austrian Vincenz Rohrer and went out for dinner.  Apparently, those 2 have known each other since they were 7 - similar to Slaf and Mesar being long time teammates.

• Upvote 1

I hope he gets another year in Europe and he dosent go the Guhle/Slafkovski tough love rush their development route.

If they would do as Mgmt did with Subban and keep him in the AHL all year, that would be different. But I got little faith they wont recall him if he is playing well in Laval, so as far away from Montreal is lilkey best for this upcoming season.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/07/habs-sign-david-reinbacher-to-an-entry-level-contract/

"Widely perceived as someone that could step into an NHL lineup now, Montreal’s defensive depth should be strong enough that they don’t need to do so.  While they might prefer him to be in Laval where they can control his playing time, Reinbacher has indicated that he’d like to go back overseas for 2023-24 to allow him to finish his final year of school.  It’d be a bit surprising if that ultimately wasn’t the course of action that they go with him."

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Capfriendly says 3x$950K, maximum of $1M in performance bonuses.

More precisely, max $1M in bonuses in each of the first two years, and a max of $1.5M in the third year.

Reinbacher showed a little emotion when he signed, good to see that passion. Regardless of whether we should have picked him at 5, I think we’re really going to like him. He might crack the roster after one more year in the Swiss league as well

41 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Reinbacher showed a little emotion when he signed, good to see that passion. Regardless of whether we should have picked him at 5, I think we’re really going to like him. He might crack the roster after one more year in the Swiss league as well

The fan narrative on him *seems* to have flipped as well. People appear to be moving past their initial draft-day hysteria and embracing him as a key piece of the Habs’ future. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The fan narrative on him *seems* to have flipped as well. People appear to be moving past their initial draft-day hysteria and embracing him as a key piece of the Habs’ future. 

The complaints about him weren’t really about him. They were about management’s process and rationale for selecting him. I want him to do well. I just don’t thi he will be one of the top 5 players from this draft.

I really hope for all involved that this works out. Poor kid will forever be measured against michkov and Leonard.  If michkov becomes kaprisov or Leonard becomes Tkachuk, we better hope he becomes Pietrangelo at worst. Otherwise the media and fans will eat him alive. 

54 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I just don’t thi he will be one of the top 5 players from this draft.

Not end all be all is it?

If he is the 3rd, 6th or the 10th best 10 years down the road; but, is playing 25minutes/game putting up 50pts/season and has 2 cup rings, not sure we will care too much.

Again, Arizona at 6 and other team (s) wanted to trade up for him, so wasnt not a big reach and really not much to be pessimistic about. But, is what fanatics are like i suppose.:D

4 hours ago, DON said:

Not end all be all is it?

If he is the 3rd, 6th or the 10th best 10 years down the road; but, is playing 25minutes/game putting up 50pts/season and has 2 cup rings, not sure we will care too much.

Again, Arizona at 6 and other team (s) wanted to trade up for him, so wasnt not a big reach and really not much to be pessimistic about. But, is what fanatics are like i suppose.:D

If you had a choice between taking the minute eating Adam Larsson, Zibonajed, Scheifele, or couturier, from the 2011 draft (excluding the D option of Hamilton intentionally), who would you rather have? I know Larsson would not be my choice.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If you had a choice between taking the minute eating Adam Larsson, Zibonajed, Scheifele, or couturier, from the 2011 draft (excluding the D option of Hamilton intentionally), who would you rather have? I know Larsson would not be my choice.

Why do we assume that Reinbacher will be Larsson and the other forwards drafted after him will be the equivalent of Zibanjed, Scheifele and Couturier?

Would you take Victor Hedman over Matt Duchene, Evander Kane and Brayden Schenn?

Would you want Noah Hanifin, Pavel Zacha, or Lawson Crouse?

I would have taken Michkov, but I had Reinbacher at 7th.  I don't think he's a bad pick at 5, even if I would have went Michkov.  This is not a bad player.  This is not McCarron where I wanted to throw something out the window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Why do we assume that Reinbacher will be Larsson and the other forwards drafted after him will be the equivalent of Zibanjed, Scheifele and Couturier?

Would you take Victor Hedman over Matt Duchene, Evander Kane and Brayden Schenn?

Would you want Noah Hanifin, Pavel Zacha, or Lawson Crouse?

I would have taken Michkov, but I had Reinbacher at 7th.  I don't think he's a bad pick at 5, even if I would have went Michkov.  This is not a bad player.  This is not McCarron where I wanted to throw something out the window. 

There’s a difference in the drafts you are using as comparison. Hedman was a clear stud option. Hell at the time I was  on the fence about Hedman vs Tavares, although because of our lack of centre depth since 94, I’d probably have gone with Tavares. In hindsight I think Tampa got the better player.

Hanafin was a guy that was seen as a stud and Babcock wanted him over Marner, so obviously I’d want him over the guys you mentioned. Even through he wasn’t seen an as good as Hedman, he was rated very highly - much more higher than any dman this year.

This year was a forward rich draft. The consensus was that were at least 6 to 8 forwards that were rated higher than any dman. I strongly believe in taking the BPA in the first round and in the top 5 it should be a no brainer decision. From all the reviews I’ve read even Leonard is a guy that most have said would have gone ahead of Slafkovsky. Even if they passed on Michkov because the Russian issues, I don’t know how we passed on Leonard.

Even with the Russian. Issues, I don’t see the concern about taking Michkov beciae if the Russian factor. Hell, unless you are talking about Berard, McDavid type player, it’s probably better to wait at least one year, and even two years before you bring up a guy picked 5th. It was only one extra year with Michkov.  To me the bigger risk and what would be a more legit concern is if they feel Michkov is going to be a total bust - which I don’t think was a real concern by most analysts.

The latest rumour, from TSN690 yesterday, is that Michkov does not like the idea of a 3-yr ELC and may stay in Russia until he is 24, when his ELC would only be one year.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The latest rumour, from TSN690 yesterday, is that Michkov does not like the idea of a 3-yr ELC and may stay in Russia until he is 24, when his ELC would only be one year.

Might suck to be in Briere's shoes if true. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The ELC rule should have been no surprise. With bonuses, he could still make $2M+ per year, and I don't think anyone in the KHL is paid over $2M.

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s a difference in the drafts you are using as comparison. Hedman was a clear stud option. Hell at the time I was  on the fence about Hedman vs Tavares, although because of our lack of centre depth since 94, I’d probably have gone with Tavares. In hindsight I think Tampa got the better player.

Hanafin was a guy that was seen as a stud and Babcock wanted him over Marner, so obviously I’d want him over the guys you mentioned. Even through he wasn’t seen an as good as Hedman, he was rated very highly - much more higher than any dman this year.

This year was a forward rich draft. The consensus was that were at least 6 to 8 forwards that were rated higher than any dman. I strongly believe in taking the BPA in the first round and in the top 5 it should be a no brainer decision. From all the reviews I’ve read even Leonard is a guy that most have said would have gone ahead of Slafkovsky. Even if they passed on Michkov because the Russian issues, I don’t know how we passed on Leonard.

Even with the Russian. Issues, I don’t see the concern about taking Michkov beciae if the Russian factor. Hell, unless you are talking about Berard, McDavid type player, it’s probably better to wait at least one year, and even two years before you bring up a guy picked 5th. It was only one extra year with Michkov.  To me the bigger risk and what would be a more legit concern is if they feel Michkov is going to be a total bust - which I don’t think was a real concern by most analysts.

The difference is only in hindsight and believing that there are 6 better forwards.  We have to let it play out.  I had michkov higher, and benson but after michkov the differences became very, very small in the next tier.  I certainly can understand why Reinbacher who i had at 7 was seen as 5th by the team.

I also.had Reinbacher higher than Leonard.  

But sure, let fans rage about the draft pick of two players most of those same fans have barely seen play, if at all.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

The ELC rule should have been no surprise. With bonuses, he could still make $2M+ per year, and I don't think anyone in the KHL is paid over $2M.

Likely not ... but the issue may be what standard of living his pay and perks provide in Russia versus a max ELC in the states ... not necessarily a dollar-for-dollar comparison.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If he doesn’t sign an ELC within 2 years, Philadelphia loses his rights.  At that point he would be put back in the draft as he would only be 20.  If by chance he isn’t put back in the draft he becomes a UFA.

I’m not sure if there’s some specific rule that may negate this if he’s signed in the KHL though.

13 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

If he doesn’t sign an ELC within 2 years, Philadelphia loses his rights.  At that point he would be put back in the draft as he would only be 20.  If by chance he isn’t put back in the draft he becomes a UFA.

I’m not sure if there’s some specific rule that may negate this if he’s signed in the KHL though.

In the case of a players drafted from the Russian Federation, NHL teams hold the players rights indefinitely. That is because the Russian Hockey Federation does not have a formal transfer agreement with the NHL and transfers must be conducted on a case-by-case basis. There is, however, a non-interference agreement between the NHL and KHL that teams in one league must honor as valid still-active contracts in the other league.

I believe the author is correct.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

No. From what I understand Philly retain his rights without the need to sign him.

it’s why Phoenix was drafting Russians - pushing out when they need to sign their draft picks by.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

No. From what I understand Philly retain his rights without the need to sign him.

it’s why Phoenix was drafting Russians - pushing out when they need to sign their draft picks by.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Habs knew that Bogdan Konyushkov was planning to extend ... and the goalies they drafted are on three different timelines ... one CHL, one NCAA and one KHL.