2023 Draft, Pick 101: Florian Xhekaj

dlbalr

9 hours ago, DON said:

Fair i guess, in that they would be highly praised if hit on numerous players over a few years. Yzerman comes to mind at moment, he "seems" a pretty smart dude and the Wings should be pretty good in near future.

Even there, you have the case of Zadina, a fifth overall pick they are losing for nothing.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Even there, you have the case of Zadina, a fifth overall pick they are losing for nothing.

He didnt draft him.

Pretty sure he was with TB then.

How great is Yzerman? Was it BriseBois and the scouting staff in Tampa?

The only signing i like in that entire group is gostibehere.  Holl might be the worst signing in all of 2023 free agency.  Chiarot might have been the worst in all of 2022.

Also... jt compher may be overpaid now, but he was my pick over Mike McCarron.

2 hours ago, DON said:

He didnt draft him.

Pretty sure he was with TB then.

Gms get too much credit and too much blame on individual draft picks.  They dont have the time to do all this scouting.  Its really about the staff.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Gms get too much credit and too much blame on individual draft picks.  They dont have the time to do all this scouting.  Its really about the staff.

True ... but the GM selects who runs the scouting operation and must bear responsibility for who they hire ... and GMs do usually have final say on draft plans, so ...

image.png

It's why they get pretty decent paycheques.

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

True ... but the GM selects who runs the scouting operation and must bear responsibility for who they hire ... and GMs do usually have final say on draft plans, so ...

image.png

Could not agree more. 

Actually, this raises another question. I get that you rely on your scouting staff. And in the lower rounds, of course you just go with their recommendation. But with a pick like the #5 overall, wouldn’t you take a special interest? Surely Slaf got extensive scrutiny from HuGo before draft day, and surely they would have formed their own impression, quite apart from whatever the scouts were saying. If so, then the GM can’t even hide behind the argument that “the scouts made me do it.”

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

I think you judge a GM on the overall performance of the dept.  But not on an individual pick.  You get evaluated on your overall staff's performance.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

And who hires "the staff".

Lots successful folks are so because they smartly surround themselves.

2 hours ago, DON said:

While others are not becuase they surround themselves with the guys they grow up with or their drinking buddies. My blood pressure rises every time I think about how long Sylvain Lefebve held onto his job and the fact that he left and was not fired!

2 hours ago, DON said:

Sure.  Like I said, judge them on the Staff's overall performance. 

We don't have to do that on a pick by pick basis though. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Sure.  Like I said, judge them on the Staff's overall performance. 

We don't have to do that on a pick by pick basis though. 

Agree... but what else is there to do during fire season summer but nitpick.

• 1 month later...

Awesome:

Apparently, Florian' OHL team recently measured him and he apparently has grown almost 2" over the summer and is now close to being 6'4".  

But wait, there's more:

"He's gained considerably in mass and physical strength. You're going to see a much better offensive performance from him this season. I'd love to give you a comparison to an NHL player, but I've seen so much growth in him that I refrain from putting limits on his potential."

- Jay McKee, Bulldogs' Head Coach

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Awesome:

Apparently, Florian' OHL team recently measured him and he apparently has grown almost 2" over the summer and is now close to being 6'4".  

But wait, there's more:

It might turn out to be a pretty astute pick. The Xhekaj's seem to be late bloomers. We know the work ethic is there. 

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It might turn out to be a pretty astute pick. The Xhekaj's seem to be late bloomers. We know the work ethic is there. 

I dont think you should judge s player based on his brother.  Thats how you get Marcel Hossa, Valeri Bure, Jordan Subban, Jared Staal, Matt Strome, etc... etc... 

Lets hope Florian is a late bloomer, but you cant simply say he will be because his brother was.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I dont think you should judge s player based on his brother.  Thats how you get Marcel Hossa, Valeri Bure, Jordan Subban, Jared Staal, Matt Strome, etc... etc... 

Lets hope Florian is a late bloomer, but you cant simply say he will be because his brother was.

Maybe Arber is the Valeri and Florian is Pavel... 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't think anyone is saying he will but work ethic can run in a family (ie the Sutters) and it's not like they used up a high pick on him although he was likely drafted higher than the consensus.  Lets hope. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He'll probably be garbage, but he's the guy we picked, so let's hope he develops into a hard-nosed, hard-hitting, reliable bottom-6 behemoth.

amen!

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He'll probably be garbage, but he's the guy we picked, so let's hope he develops into a hard-nosed, hard-hitting, reliable bottom-6 behemoth.

Maybe not quite garbage. I have pretty high confidence that he can carve out an AHL career for himself at a minimum.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe not quite garbage. I have pretty high confidence that he can carve out an AHL career for himself at a minimum.

NHL pace is pretty darn quick, is my 1st question, can he keep up at pro speed?

(from the Habs draft video, Xhekaj was on their radar in discussions before the draft as 4th rd pick. They thought he might/likely be gone by 101.) 

Anyways, hope his offense skyrockets this year in OHL, he stays fairly healthy & he doesnt eat too many knuckle sandwiches. 

16 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Well, yeah. I meant garbage at the NHL level.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, yeah. I meant garbage at the NHL level.

I figured out what you meant as I have become used to your occasional use of hyperbole. 

Interesting watching the Habs draft video, referring to Xhekaj as a Unicorn, they didn't think he would be around later if they didn't take him at 101, perhaps they know something we don't. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I figured out what you meant as I have become used to your occasional use of hyperbole. 

Interesting watching the Habs draft video, referring to Xhekaj as a Unicorn, they didn't think he would be around later if they didn't take him at 101, perhaps they know something we don't. 

Actually, I don't think it's hyperbole to say that a guy who fails to crack an NHL roster is a garbage player at the NHL level. *Shrug*

This management group has shown a penchant for making slightly off-the-board draft choices. It's too soon to tell whether they're just outsmarting themselves, or if they do indeed have an unusually canny level of insight.