Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

More like Suzuki getting less and less effective as the season wears him down 

Caufield hitting 30g by mid-season and the getting hurt again 

Dach flip/flopping with Anderson and Newhook wing/center and never finding his game

Guhle having a bad year, and the Habs cycling multiple LDs o n his spot

No kids being demoted and loosing some bottom-6 vets on waivers then suffering through multiple callous of AHL fillers

Missing the playoffs by half a dozen points but drafting out of the lottery 

Just go to sensworld.net if this is what you think of the team.

Again just making up shit to dump on the new management for.

Its obvious youve never been behind the team since Bergy and DD got fired.

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't know if I can stomach another pointless season if I cannot understand the team anymore. I just "don't get" the Habs aymore, I cannot clearly describe their identity, their values and their organization's goal.

Their identity is that of a team in transition, a team that isn't good enough to win yet and is focusing on player development to try to get them back into playoff contention over time.

Values...not sure what you mean here - this can mean a few different things.  Are you talking on-ice, off-ice, community-based, etc?

The goal is to maximize player development, particularly skill development.  Even if the parts don't completely 'fit' now, just keep developing the skill-set, not focus on pigeonholing to fit specific roles or focus too much on weaknesses.  Not saying weaknesses will/should be ignored altogether but it won't be the sole focus of areas to improve.  There will come a time (ideally in the near future) when the fit will start to matter and shoring up the weak spots will become more important.  That will come when the team is closer to playoff contention (when players are further developed and other divisional rivals are on the downswing) and short-term success becomes a bigger priority.  They're not there yet and they know it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If all of this bad stuff happens then surely we are a lottery pick. 

Perhaps this is the year that things go well for us. Perhaps we push for a playoff spot. Perhaps Dach finds chemistry with Newhook and they become league leaders. Perhaps Gallagher scores 30 and doesn’t miss much time. 

Perhaps 🤔 

I am with you in hoping for all the best. I can’t wait for some preseason games 

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't know if I can stomach another pointless season if I cannot understand the team anymore. I just "don't get" the Habs aymore, I cannot clearly describe their identity, their values and their organization's goal.

If I want an aimless "fun to watch" team, might as well watch the sens.

The Habs are in a rebuild. Sometimes I think you should take a deep breath and pause before you click on Submit Reply. You are either a Habs fan or you are not. There is no middle ground here.  Perhaps you were just looking for a reaction. If that is the case then you were successful. 

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Habs are in a rebuild. Sometimes I think you should take a deep breath and pause before you click on Submit Reply. You are either a Habs fan or you are not. There is no middle ground here.  Perhaps you were just looking for a reaction. If that is the case then you were successful. 

Not looking for a reaction, just sharing 

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not looking for a reaction, just sharing 

You are certainly allowed to share, it's a free country but inferring the Habs are aimless is a bit out there especially when training camp hasn't even started yet. They are clearly rebuilding with a goal of winning the cup. I for one am pretty excited about what Hughes has been doing and I think the future looks bright. Perhaps a little more pain this year but I can handle that as I am pretty confident we are headed in the right direction. Cheers

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are certainly allowed to share, it's a free country but inferring the Habs are aimless is a bit out there especially when training camp hasn't even started yet. They are clearly rebuilding with a goal of winning the cup. I for one am pretty excited about what Hughes has been doing and I think the future looks bright. Perhaps a little more pain this year but I can handle that as I am pretty confident we are headed in the right direction. Cheers

The annual ... "let's make some short-term moves and hope to make the playoffs, then anything can happen" approach for almost all of the 30 years since the last Cup victory has not prepared fans for the need for patience.

On 9/10/2023 at 8:34 PM, tomh009 said:

Subject to pre-season, I think more likely Monahan at C and both Ylonen and RHP at wing, until Dvorak returns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

from what I watched from the draft and the interviews in the past couple of weeks, they seemed to be coy and a bit evasive on expectations and season-goals

I am a fan, and I'll be patient. Of course!

but, if you remember some of my posts, I follow the Habs for the pleasure it gives me and to change my mind from day-to-day life. I am not 100% committed yet to investing my free time on a team that hasn't yet given me reason for optimism

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The annual ... "let's make some short-term moves and hope to make the playoffs, then anything can happen" approach for almost all of the 30 years since the last Cup victory has not prepared fans for the need for patience.

exactly

and you understand this, since we are both in Ottawa. The vibe in out city is positive.

if my kids family and friends start cheering for the Sens, it may be hard not to jump on that band wagon for the pleasure of enjoying some games with them.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

and you understand this, since we are both in Ottawa. The vibe in out city is positive.

Mainly, sad as it is to say, because Melnyk passed and the team has been sold ... Michael Andlauer is good at least until he has to fire a GM he has hired.

It also helps that the sports media is as soft and fawning as any in North America ... the most they ever did about Melnyk was acknowledge that some fans were unhappy.

IMO the fanbase has been through a few rebuilds in which drafting and prospects led to nothing, so just the roster is only enough for the "black, red, gold, and white" tinted glasses crowd ... if the Sens aren't making the playoffs this season their fans will find several new "Wade Reddens" to flog ... if they make the playoffs and lose to the Leafs John Roddenberg will need to mainline coffee for a week.

BTW - you wouldn't happen to have worked for Ag-Can at Billings Bridge?

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A real fan never abandons their team and never cheers for a rival.  

Yup. You can get frustrated, ticked off with management, ticked off with the players, etc etc but you always maintain some level of hope and faith that your team will turn it around and come back to the glory days we dream about. Again, FAN is short for fanatic so there is nothing logical about your commitment to your team (ie Habs), it's just there and it doesn't go away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Mainly, sad as it is to say, because Melnyk passed and the team has been sold ... Michael Andlauer is good at least until he has to fire a GM he has hired.

It also helps that the sports media is as soft and fawning as any in North America ... the most they ever did about Melnyk was acknowledge that some fans were unhappy.

IMO the fanbase has been through a few rebuilds in which drafting and prospects led to nothing, so just the roster is only enough for the "black, red, gold, and white" tinted glasses crowd ... if the Sens aren't making the playoffs this season their fans will find several new "Wade Reddens" to flog ... if they make the playoffs and lose to the Leafs John Roddenberg will need to mainline coffee for a week.

BTW - you wouldn't happen to have worked for Ag-Can at Billings Bridge?

no, I go to billings bridge every now and then though.

I work for high tech

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

I live in Toronto, and I don't care how many of my family, friends, etc cheer for the Leafs. 

A real fan never abandons their team and never cheers for a rival.  

why waste your time... the guy already said he's cheering for OTT this year and going to watch, follow them instead.

what is there not to like about Gorton, Hughes and MSL?

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

from what I watched from the draft and the interviews in the past couple of weeks, they seemed to be coy and a bit evasive on expectations and season-goals

I am a fan, and I'll be patient. Of course!

but, if you remember some of my posts, I follow the Habs for the pleasure it gives me and to change my mind from day-to-day life. I am not 100% committed yet to investing my free time on a team that hasn't yet given me reason for optimism

coy and evasive?  the team has been pretty clear over the last couple years of their plan and expectations. They do not need to disclose the actual particulars of day to day operations to a SEns fan trolling the Habs and their true fan base.

55 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Getting excited about Newhook 🤩

Can Roy actually make the team?

Maybe Mailloux is putting it together quickly?

General caution, it is the beginning of TC ... let's wait until at least actual pre-season games before getting excited (or panicked) about anyone.

Roy ***might*** make the team if Hughes is able to move a couple of veterans for cap purposes, but I expect Stephens and Anderson are ahead of him in terms of starting the season in Montreal ... I would prefer he starts in the AHL for a good stretch, and only move up after some sustained serious success.

As regards Mailloux ... general caution ... Logan missed almost two full seasons of junior development ... even ***if*** he were to look great in the pre-season I expect he will greatly benefit in the long-term from a season in the AHL.

CLICKBAIT site Hockey30 ***claiming*** Primeau said:

"I'm tired of playing in the American League. I know I have the level to play in the NHL. I know I can face the best night after night. I want to play in the NHL. If it’s not in Montreal, it will be elsewhere”

"I want to stay in the NHL. I trained all summer to prove I was an NHL goalie."
"I had a tough day. It's hard to look forward right now. I'm not in the best mental state."

When asked about Primeau, Martin St-Louis reportedly said

"He would have to take away Samuel's (Montembeault) or Jake's (Allen) spot. He must perform better and the performance of the other two would have to drop. I will not stand in his way, but I will not place him in front of others if he does not deserve it. He has to speak with his game, not with his mouth."

Some of the "quotes" are confirmed in a Journal de Montreal article.

NOTE: I've bolded what the Journal de Montreal confirms.

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

CLICKBAIT site Hockey30 ***claiming*** Primeau said:

"I'm tired of playing in the American League. I know I have the level to play in the NHL. I know I can face the best night after night. I want to play in the NHL. If it’s not in Montreal, it will be elsewhere”

"I want to stay in the NHL. I trained all summer to prove I was an NHL goalie."
"I had a tough day. It's hard to look forward right now. I'm not in the best mental state."

When asked about Primeau, Martin St-Louis reportedly said

"He would have to take away Samuel's (Montembeault) or Jake's (Allen) spot. He must perform better and the performance of the other two would have to drop. I will not stand in his way, but I will not place him in front of others if he does not deserve it. He has to speak with his game, not with his mouth."

Some of the "quotes" are confirmed in a Journal de Montreal article.

My initial reaction was to post a F U Primeau post. 

Hockey30 Eh? I’ll reserve judgement for a better source. 

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

My initial reaction was to post a F U Primeau post. 

Hockey30 Eh? I’ll reserve judgement for a better source. 

EXACTLY why I emphasized "clickbait" ... but Journal has some of it as well

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think Primeau is about to find out what his worth is when he gets waived then sent to Laval because nobody took him. 

Given that he has proven ZILCH in his career so far, and has been unable to outplay two G who are decent but not exactly top-drawer, his reaction seems strange - if the story is true. But I've never been impressed with him to begin with, so let him pout, it's all one to me. MSL's answer was perfect.