Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

You  ARE  excited about the lineup ... 😉

I am excited every year to see future players and interesting line combos. 

Preseason or not I always hope that the Habs crush the leafs. 

Hope Slafkovsky looks good with Dach too

🎉

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Toronto's roster, for anyone interested:

F7R8rqhWwAAOuhh?format=jpg&name=900x900

Expect their Monday lineup will be STACKED!

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yep.  Allen's going to have fun with that one unless they decide to throw Primeau to the wolves.

Were Primeau to perform well it might make him tradeable ... if he gets pumped it likely settles the nonsense about keeping three goalies as he is unlikely to be claimed on waivers.

19 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So far I don’t like them together and I don’t think Newhook fits with Suzuki. 

Swap Newhook and Slafkovsky for period two! 

Or maybe Newhook for RHP ... CC can flip-flop if needed

Montembeault not "pumped up" for pre-season ... or ... Montembeault looking like Montembeault?

44 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I don't put much stock in preseason games, but...it sure feels like the same old "horrid powerplay, lack of finish" story.

I was thinking the same thing - another year of inept PP. 

How did we lose this game?! I was thinking that we would challenge for a playoff spot this year…Not feeling so confident about that. 

Sure it’s preseason but it sure looks like last season 

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How did we lose this game?! I was thinking that we would challenge for a playoff spot this year…Not feeling so confident about that. 

I believe challenging for a playoff spot might be a possibility, but it depends on numerous things.

I cringed quite a few time's when I kept seeing perfect 1 timer passes not being taken with the player receiving the pass instead.  What the hell is up with that?

Of the bubble players, I think Heineman helped his cause tonight.  A bit more edge to his game even if the results weren't there.  Farrell wasn't in an ideal spot but he looks like someone that could be in the next group of cuts.

F7UVD-1XYAAk4Eu?format=jpg&name=900x900

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is no way in hell we are challenging for a playoff spot this year. I think we finish behind Toronto, Tamp, Florida, Buffalo, Boston and Ottawa and battle Detroit for last place in our Division.

We are two years away from legitimately being a playoff team and maybe next year if:

1) On D, Harris, Guhle, Baron and wifi can all take another step forward this year and Hutson and Reinbacher  can both step in and impact next year.

2)Dach and Newhook show consistency and live up to their draft projections, and  Slafkovsky and Roy look like they belong by the end of this year.

3) we actually have solid goaltending

this year - no chance in hell!!

29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There is no way in hell we are challenging for a playoff spot this year. I think we finish behind Toronto, Tamp, Florida, Buffalo, Boston and Ottawa and battle Detroit for last place in our Division.

We are two years away from legitimately being a playoff team and maybe next year if:

1) On D, Harris, Guhle, Baron and wifi can all take another step forward this year and Hutson and Reinbacher  can both step in and impact next year.

2)Dach and Newhook show consistency and live up to their draft projections, and  Slafkovsky and Roy look like they belong by the end of this year.

3) we actually have solid goaltending

this year - no chance in hell!!

Yeah I thought that if injuries were kind to us this season then maybe we would push for a wildcard. 

Especially if Caufield hits 50 and Dach steps forward. 

But yeah not feeling so confident anymore! PP is still brutal - maybe try something different….

One positive was Reinbacker. I think he is already good enough to play in the NHL and he is only going to get better. 

9 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Of the bubble players, I think Heineman helped his cause tonight.  A bit more edge to his game even if the results weren't there.  Farrell wasn't in an ideal spot but he looks like someone that could be in the next group of cuts.

F7UVD-1XYAAk4Eu?format=jpg&name=900x900

Is there an updated list of guys at camp still?

2 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Is there an updated list of guys at camp still?

I think this is where they're at once they send the four waived players from yesterday down:

F (18) Suzuki, Caufield, Newhook, Dach, Anderson, Slafkovsky, Dvorak (inj), Monahan, Ylonen, Gallagher, Armia, Evans, Pearson, Pezzetta, Harvey-Pinard, Heineman, Andersson, Maillet

D (11) Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Harris, Xhekaj, Kovavcevic, Barron, Mailloux, Norlinder, Lindstrom, Wideman (inj)

G (4) Montembeault, Allen, Primeau, Price (inj)

Maillet should be on waivers today, possibly Andersson as well.

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think this is where they're at once they send the four waived players from yesterday down:

F (18) Suzuki, Caufield, Newhook, Dach, Anderson, Slafkovsky, Dvorak (inj), Monahan, Ylonen, Gallagher, Armia, Evans, Pearson, Pezzetta, Harvey-Pinard, Heineman, Andersson, Maillet

D (11) Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Harris, Xhekaj, Kovavcevic, Barron, Mailloux, Norlinder, Lindstrom, Wideman (inj)

G (4) Montembeault, Allen, Primeau, Price (inj)

Maillet should be on waivers today, possibly Andersson as well.

I'm so curious what they are going to do.

Is it basically confirmed now that price will have to go on ltir?

19 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

I'm so curious what they are going to do.

Is it basically confirmed now that price will have to go on ltir?

Per CapFriendly the Habs are $6,177,916 over the cap with 27 players ... so as many as 7 players could be "moved", having a minimal 20-man roster for the first game and then do the LTIR stuff "in-season" and fill-out the roster ... so I wouldn't say it is guaranteed that they have to LTIR before the season ... and that is without any as yet unexpected trades.

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Per CapFriendly the Habs are $6,177,916 over the cap with 27 players ... so as many as 7 players could be "moved", having a minimal 20-man roster for the first game and then do the LTIR stuff "in-season" and fill-out the roster ... so I wouldn't say it is guaranteed that they have to LTIR before the season ... and that is without any as yet unexpected trades.

Yeah I think the issue there is that guys with bonuses being sent down is suboptimal for reasons @dlbalr understands 😛

8 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Yeah I think the issue there is that guys with bonuses being sent down is suboptimal for reasons @dlbalr understands 😛

I do not pretend to have his @dlbalr's depth of knowledge ... but the "strip down" approach would be for one game, so don't know whether the complexities to which you refer would be problematic.

Sending Reinbacher "home" was the right move ... he looked good but I expect he will be even better next fall.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I do not pretend to have his @dlbalr's depth of knowledge ... but the "strip down" approach would be for one game, so don't know whether the complexities to which you refer would be problematic.

A quick example - if Slafkovsky is on the season-opening roster, he has a $950,000 cap hit.  If he's papered down for that roster and then recalled, he's a $4.45M cap hit.  Thus, it's more optimal to have as many players with bonuses as possible on that opening roster.  Is it a must?  No, especially if they don't plan to use all of Price's LTIR.  But in a perfect world, the roster would be structured that way.

14 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I believe challenging for a playoff spot might be a possibility, but it depends on numerous things.

I cringed quite a few time's when I kept seeing perfect 1 timer passes not being taken with the player receiving the pass instead.  What the hell is up with that?

There was a bunch of this going on during PP too. 

Is Burrows still in charge of the PP because it’s still terrible! Seriously dude, you have used the same 4 forwards, 1 Dman system for three years and it has always been ass!

We absolutely have the skill and power to score PP goals so what’s the problem?