Tanner Pearson and 3rd to Habs, Casey DeSmith to Canucks

revvvrob

3 hours ago, Neech said:

Interesting perspectives denigrating this deal, which I thought was decent value. If Pearson is healthy he'll be worth another mid round pick at the deadline. But maybe we let Vancouver off the hook.

We got a 3rd round pick to take on approx 2 million bucks.  (Difference in de smith and Pearson).

Thats fair value.

If Pearson does anything and gets another pick later, we won the deal 

On 9/25/2023 at 6:13 PM, Commandant said:

Sounds like the duos are

Cc - suzuki

Monahan - Dach

Newhook - anderson

And then the third member of each line is tbd

Potential thirds on those lines include Slafkovsky, Pearson, RHP, Gallagher, ylonen, armia, 

Those are decent duos, at least we should be able to put Slaf with good players as long as we keep him off the fourth line. No one really stands out as deserving of the first line spot though.

one or Pearson or Armia must be traded. With Gallagher's boat anchor contract the Habs cannot carry such expensive bottom-6 forwards.

I have not watched much of the preseason: how well has Pearson looked?

I have seen some reports that Armia is not looking great

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

one or Pearson or Armia must be traded. With Gallagher's boat anchor contract the Habs cannot carry such expensive bottom-6 forwards.

It might be more a question of which of them can be traded and with the least ridiculous sweetener ... pending UFA Pearson's AAV is $3.25M, but his actual salary this season is $4.25M ... Armia's AAV is $3.4M and his salary is $4.8M this season and $3.8M next season.

I expect Pearson would be slightly easier to trade, but many of the teams with cap space are also budget conscious, so it likely wouldn't be cheap to move him ... but I expect Armia would be worse.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It might be more a question of which of them can be traded and with the least ridiculous sweetener ... pending UFA Pearson's AAV is $3.25M, but his actual salary this season is $4.25M ... 

That's with the signing bonus which, to the best of my knowledge, has been paid.  His base salary is $2.75M.  He'll be easier to move than Armia.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Sure, but Armia is untradeable without pick sweeteners and retention. Gallagher is untradeable with a full NMC. Can’t see anyone taking Pearson either.

best we can hope for is that they decide to send Armia to the minors and he refuses to report (which is not an option for Gallagher). You can thank your favourite GM for that.

Pearson may be moveable during the year if he is healthy and productive.

I’m not sure that Armia gets claimed if put on waivers so we gotta pay to trade him  

Pearson hasn’t looked great to me but he had been playing 4th line. Only hope is that he plays ok and might be worth a late pick at the deadline. 

Possible that either of them are part of a larger trade I suppose. Possibly with a goalie

I’d be all for burying Armia in the minors. He’s shite. Depends if Molson wants to eat more money.

Agree that Gally is a hopeless case. Nothing to be done there.

Pearson, he just needs to show that he can play a regular shift, some GM will then want his Cup rings and “character” at the deadline, even if the return is a bag of dirty jock straps.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’d be all for burying Armia in the minors. He’s shite. Depends if Molson wants to eat more money.

Agree that Gally is a hopeless case. Nothing to be done there.

Pearson, he just needs to show that he can play a regular shift, some GM will then want his Cup rings and “character” at the deadline, even if the return is a bag of dirty jock straps.

HuGo up to know have been showing nice they are (moving Petry for less to his desired location), now they need to show they can be ruthless when warranted by putting Armia on waivers and burying him in the minors if required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Sure, but Armia is untradeable without pick sweeteners and retention. Gallagher is untradeable with a full NMC. Can’t see anyone taking Pearson either.

best we can hope for is that they decide to send Armia to the minors and he refuses to report (which is not an option for Gallagher). You can thank your favourite GM for that.

Pearson may be moveable during the year if he is healthy and productive.

they have to get rid of one of these thee if they want to come under the cap with Price still on the books. At least as far as my math can tell me.

I checked other combinations, including waiving Armia, and it does not help. A trade is coming to help with the cap, for sure.

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

they have to get rid of one of these thee if they want to come under the cap with Price still on the books. At least as far as my math can tell me.

I checked other combinations, including waiving Armia, and it does not help. A trade is coming to help with the cap, for sure.

OR ... HuGo accept all the deficiencies of LTIR'ing Price before the first game ... I'm hoping for a trade ... 

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They can do it. Primeau, Armia and Pearson papered down to Laval, also RHP, Harris, Xhekaj and Barron. As I recall, that's enough.

Actual roster once they start playing will be different.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

They can do it. Primeau, Armia and Pearson papered down to Laval, also RHP, Harris, Xhekaj and Barron. As I recall, that's enough.

Actual roster once they start playing will be different.

Would that not leave them playing short-handed (10F/4D-ish) for the first game?

I may be wrong ( @dlbalr ?) but I don't think it is as simple as filing the cap-compliant roster and then immediately adding players back before you even play a game. 

41 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I may be wrong ( @dlbalr ?) but I don't think it is as simple as filing the cap-compliant roster and then immediately adding players back before you even play a game. 

It actually is.  Season-opening rosters are set the day before the season starts.  The next day (the first day of the season), teams can make a whole bunch of roster moves to make the roster way different than their original one.  Montreal did that last season with Xhekaj, actually.  He was cut on paper for the initial roster but played the next day in the opener.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It actually is.  Season-opening rosters are set the day before the season starts.  The next day (the first day of the season), teams can make a whole bunch of roster moves to make the roster way different than their original one.  Montreal did that last season with Xhekaj, actually.  He was cut on paper for the initial roster but played the next day in the opener.

Thats true, but isn't there a minimum number of players you have to have? i don't think they can be at like 15 players?

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats true, but isn't there a minimum number of players you have to have? i don't think they can be at like 15 players?

Right. So you have the guys making $775K on the roster and the ones making $1.15M+ papered to Laval to maximize the benefit (you can bury $1.15M in the minors).

Minimum roster size is 20.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Here is a quick 21-man roster, including Price, under the cap.

image.png

I understand that Slafkovsky to Laval to start the season means his $3.5M in performance bonuses then immediately get locked onto the cap, in addition to his AAV, when he is recalled.

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Here is a quick 21-man roster, including Price, under the cap.

image.png

No Pearson, No Armia. that is in-line with what I had looked into before.

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I understand that Slafkovsky to Laval to start the season means his $3.5M in performance bonuses then immediately get locked onto the cap, in addition to his AAV, when he is recalled.

It was a quick one! :) Missed the Slafkovsky performance bonuses, so would need to choose someone else to paper down, such as Xhekaj.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

They can be sneaky and include Price, Dvorak, and Wideman on there so they can trim it down quite a bit assuming they're willing to waive veterans (and I'm not sure they're as willing to do that with some of them).

Looking forward ... POTENTIALLY good news for 24/25

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Why is that good?

The poor boys are underpaid?:devil:

Dont you want the Leafs to really squirm after another early exit?

Because as the rebuild progresses the Habs will have some need of spending money.