2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

They would be able to easily move him in the summer if they retain 50%, I think. They are not using any of their retention slots at the moment.

They are using one (Maroon for $200K) but he'll be off the books in the summer.  The issue for TB is how much dead cap space can they afford?  They're extremely tight to the cap every year; can they really afford $1.75M in a dead cap charge and still keep the rest of the core intact?  I'm not sure about that.

In wake of Reilly cross checking Grieg in the face, TSN has a bunch of stories of idiots defending Reilly's actions, the worse being Martin Biron.  Biron went as far as saying he doesn't believe Reilly even deserves a suspension.

TSN has always been bias, but to even defend that is unacceptable.

Bell owns a share of the Leafs and owns TSN

Rogers owns a share of the Leafs and owns Sportsnet. 

Its deeper than just the media money, the businesses are literally intertwined

16 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

In wake of Reilly cross checking Grieg in the face, TSN has a bunch of stories of idiots defending Reilly's actions, the worse being Martin Biron.  Biron went as far as saying he doesn't believe Reilly even deserves a suspension.

TSN has always been bias, but to even defend that is unacceptable.

That may be true but the Grieg play deserved some sort of reaction (not a cross check to the face).  He was saying FU to the Leafs in their own building knowing they didn't have to play them again this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That may be true but the Grieg play deserved some sort of reaction (not a cross check to the face).  He was saying FU to the Leafs in their own building knowing they didn't have to play them again this year. 

I disagree entirely. 

He scored a goal. 

Its not up to a team to decide if you disrespect them by doing the thing that is literally the point of the game, to score goals. 

If you don't like the way the other team scores a goal.... don't let them score a goal. 

Sorry that shooting the puck hard instead of passing it into the net hurt the Leafs feelings. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I disagree entirely. 

He scored a goal. 

Its not up to a team to decide if you disrespect them by doing the thing that is literally the point of the game, to score goals. 

If you don't like the way the other team scores a goal.... don't let them score a goal. 

Sorry that shooting the puck hard instead of passing it into the net hurt the Leafs feelings. 

I guess we will have to disagree on this. Winding up for a slapshot was totally unnecessary and disrespectful, kind of like running up the score. It's like sending out your best power play unit in the last minute of the game with a big lead. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess we will have to disagree on this. Winding up for a slapshot was totally unnecessary and disrespectful, kind of like running up the score. It's like sending out your best power play unit in the last minute of the game with a big lead. 

Meh.. I don't have issues with that either. 

This is pro sports, not children.   

It might be classless in kids hockey, but these are highly paid professionals.  If you don't like your feelings being hurt by giving up goals, play better. 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Meh.. I don't have issues with that either. 

This is pro sports, not children.   

It might be classless in kids hockey, but these are highly paid professionals.  If you don't like your feelings being hurt by giving up goals, play better. 

Sometimes even pros have off nights and rubbing salt in the wound doesn't accomplish anything, only fires up the opponent for the next game. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is never an acceptable reason for cross checking someone to the head. 

The idea that he hurt the leaf’s feelings and that justified the response is ridiculous. 

You rarely see nonsense like this in the NFL. I hope the terrible player safety team uses this to set a precedent and suspends him for many games. 

The entire code crap is outdated nonsense 

You are 100 correct that NOTHING justifies a cross-check to the face ... but I could have understood Reilly simply checking Grieg or challenging him to a fight ... the "fake slap shot" was unnecessary hot dogging to embarrass the Leafs.

29 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't understand this mentality.  It's was unnecessary and disrespectful? Players have made entire careers on being disrespectful and doing unnecessary things.  Teams look for pests to antagonize the other team.  That part is completely embraced and accepted by the hockey community, but heavens forbid someone slap shots a puck into an empty net. 

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I don't understand this mentality.  It's was unnecessary and disrespectful? Players have made entire careers on being disrespectful and doing unnecessary things.  Teams look for pests to antagonize the other team.  That part is completely embraced and accepted by the hockey community, but heavens forbid someone slap shots a puck into an empty net. 

How often do you see the quarterback of a football team take a knee when the game is decided or a basketball team dribble out the clock when the game is decided. Maybe you are right and they should try and run up the score to antagonize the other team. 

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

How often do you see the quarterback of a football team take a knee when the game is decided or a basketball team dribble out the clock when the game is decided. Maybe you are right and they should try and run up the score to antagonize the other team. 

If the net is empty, it's the losing team attempting to come back, not signaling the game is over.  The reference to football and basketball are misplaced. In hockey, if the net is empty to attempt a comeback, it's fair game to score on it.  Teams don't avoid scoring on an empty net if given the chance.

When was the last time you saw a team have a breakaway on an empty net and purposely not score?

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

If the net is empty, it's the losing team attempting to come back, not signaling the game is over.  The reference to football and basketball are misplaced. In hockey, if the net is empty to attempt a comeback, it's fair game to score on it.  Teams don't avoid scoring on an empty net if given the chance.

I am not saying they shouldn't try and score in the empty net, it's how they did it. I have never seen a player with a breakaway on an empty net wind up for a slap shot 3 feet from the goal line.  Maybe Ridley Greig is an innovator and others will do it now. In my opinion, it was rubbing salt in the wound.  Some here disagree and that's absolutely fine. If we all had the same opinion on everything these boards would be awful boring. 

Entertaining and humorous goal at least.

Immature low brow reaction by our favourite team, all good by me.

The empty net goal was a legal and lawful goal. 

I don’t care if the leafs felt disrespected because of some “bro” code. 

I feel disrespected so I have the right to smash your brains in isn’t how society works. 

But, but your Honour he was showboating so Im justified in smashing his head in, just like self defence! 

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The empty net goal was a legal and lawful goal. 

I don’t care if the leafs felt disrespected because of some “bro” code. 

I feel disrespected so I have the right to smash your brains in isn’t how society works. 

But, but your Honour he was showboating so Im justified in smashing his head in, just like self defence! 

I don't think 1 poster here said the cross check to the head was justified. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sometimes even pros have off nights and rubbing salt in the wound doesn't accomplish anything, only fires up the opponent for the next game. 

Ok, the risk should be you get an opponent who is fired up and beats you the next game.

The risk shouldn't be that you get crisschecked in the head, or you get attacked, or you have to fight cause you scored a goal.

Dinosaurs are not completely extinct, though.

To hear him tell it, Ryan Reaves has no problem with how Morgan Rielly reacted to Ridly Greig’s, ahem, enthusiastic empty-net goal on Saturday night.

The veteran enforcer held court with Toronto media on Monday morning and let it be known that he believes Rielly’s response was “appropriate.”

“If you rewind to when I came into the league, he’s probably still laying on the ice,” Reaves told reporters. “Kids these days, they’re playing a different brand of hockey than I’m used to. The code’s changed a little bit.

“The game’s changed a lot,” Rielly continued. “It’s unfortunate that a kid like that can get away with something like that and one of our best players is going to get suspended.”

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think 1 poster here said the cross check to the head was justified. 

Imagine if after every really hard hit in football, that player that made the hit had to go and fight someone from the other team. 

This is a regular occurrence in the NHL. 

This hidden code in the NHL needs to go. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Imagine if after every really hard hit in football, that player that made the hit had to go and fight someone from the other team. 

This is a regular occurrence in the NHL. 

This hidden code in the NHL needs to go. 

Now you are changing the subject. Reilly's cross check to the head was going overboard so he will get suspended as he should. 

Fighting in the NHL is substantially down from where it was 10,20 or 30 years ago. 

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Of the leafs fans complaining about Grieg.  How many are Blue Jay fans who celebrated Jose Bautista's bat flip?

I don't think you can compare the two. Bautista's bat flip was a bit of a hot dog move but it was also after hitting a home run in a playoff game compared to an almost nothing regular season hockey game where the outcome had already been decided and the intent of Greig's move was just to rub it in.