2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know Calgary wanted a first, but that still seems like a big haul for Tanev. Good work by Conroy.

I think this is terrible for Calgary.  I expect Grushnikov to top out as a number 5 Dman, although I confess I haven't seen him play.   Dallas got Tanev 75% retained for a late 2nd round pick plus some scraps.  Why wouldn't Calgary hold out till the deadline is nearer?  I

I assume Conroy took the 2nd pick as no one was willing to offer up a 1st.

Not sure i would want to see Savard dealt for just a 2nd and be fine if just keep him till next deadline.

Wheeler's take on Stars d-prospect.

Dallas Stars are No. 21 in 2024 NHL prospect pool rankings - The Athletic

10. Artyom Grushnikov, LHD, 20 (Texas Stars)
Grushnikov is a fascinating case study in that despite a statistical profile that virtually never translates to the NHL, he has always had some believers because of his skating, length and ability to defend. He’s got balanced posture and control in his skating, which he uses effectively gapping up. He’s an excellent backward skater. He’s got a disruptive stick and an ability to track and then close out physically (which hasn’t always been part of his game but has developed over time).

He’s got a pro build at 6-1 and a playing weight in the 190s. He has just enough poise and vision with the puck to advance play and occasionally involve himself (he started to activate more late in his junior career, and while that hasn’t continued in his rookie season in the AHL, I do think there are more opportunities for him to use his smooth skating and influence play than he realizes). He has defended well for a 20-year-old rookie in the AHL. Time will tell if his defending is high-end enough to carry him into a No. 6/7 role, but the Stars clearly have belief in him or they wouldn’t have drafted him in the second round, signed him and bypassed the ECHL for the AHL.

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

I think this is terrible for Calgary.  I expect Grushnikov to top out as a number 5 Dman, although I confess I haven't seen him play.   Dallas got Tanev 75% retained for a late 2nd round pick plus some scraps.  Why wouldn't Calgary hold out till the deadline is nearer?  I

Tanev is a 34 year old UFA, it was either sign him or lose him for nothing. I think they got a decent return. A 2nd and 3rd is not bad even if Grushnikov doesn't turn out. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not sure i would want to see Savard dealt for just a 2nd and be fine if just keep him till next deadline.

I agree, if getting a late 2nd is the best you can do then you might as well keep him for another year. It could be a quiet deadline for Hughes. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Tanev is a 34 year old UFA, it was either sign him or lose him for nothing. I think they got a decent return. A 2nd and 3rd is not bad even if Grushnikov doesn't turn out. 

Or wait 10 days for a better offer.  Given the minimal risk in waiting, I think they should have watched to see how things play out.  I'm confident they could have gotten a 2nd and a 3rd anytime they wanted.

11 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Or wait 10 days for a better offer.  Given the minimal risk in waiting, I think they should have watched to see how things play out.  I'm confident they could have gotten a 2nd and a 3rd anytime they wanted.

The biggest risk is Tanev gets hurt then you get nothing. Given the physical shot blocking style of Tanev, that is certainly a possibility. I am sure Conroy had numerous conversations with other GM's and had a pretty good idea what the market was. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am sure Conroy had numerous conversations with other GM's and had a pretty good idea what the market was. 

I would assume so and am guessing the demand for a Tanev/Savard just isnt there.

2 hours ago, DON said:

I would assume so and am guessing the demand for a Tanev/Savard just isn't there.

OR ... they place a higher value on Grushnikov than most seem to on here.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

OR ... they place a higher value on Grushnikov than most seem to on here.

That is a good point, he was a 2nd round pick and still only 20.  The Flames seem high on him and most here don't know much about him. So basically the Flames got 2 x 2nd round picks and a 3rd for Tanev and retaining salary for the rest of this year.  Not a bad haul. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is a good point, he was a 2nd round pick and still only 20.  The Flames seem high on him and most here don't know much about him. So basically the Flames got 2 x 2nd round picks and a 3rd for Tanev and retaining salary for the rest of this year.  Not a bad haul. 

I think our reaction to this trade hinges on our view of Tanev. I don't really see him as an impactful top-4 guy at this stage - I could be wrong, of course - so the return seems solid to me.

Sorry to talk about Van so much, but I was very interested to note that, amidst much speculation of who the Canucks might go after now that Tanev is off the board, I haven't heard Savard's name come up once - even though he seems like a perfect fit for them 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sorry to talk about Van so much, but I was very interested to note that, amidst much speculation of who the Canucks might go after now that Tanev is off the board, I haven't heard Savard's name come up once - even though he seems like a perfect fit for them 🤷‍♂️

I agree and not surprised. A couple days ago Savard wasn't even on the top 50 list on TSN's trade bait board. Now he is at 49 with Tanev gone. A RD for Columbus, Andrew Peeke is at 36??  Who the heck is Andrew Peeke?? 

I guess the brain trust at TSN in Toronto doesn't think Savard is worth talking about so the fans don't think he exists. 

45 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree and not surprised. A couple days ago Savard wasn't even on the top 50 list on TSN's trade bait board. Now he is at 49 with Tanev gone. A RD for Columbus, Andrew Peeke is at 36??  Who the heck is Andrew Peeke?? 

I guess the brain trust at TSN in Toronto doesn't think Savard is worth talking about so the fans don't think he exists. 

Peeke has been on the block for most of the season so it makes sense that he'd be higher on the board than Savard, a player who isn't believed to be getting shopped around.

6th in TOI amongst regular Ducks-D ... Leafs going C-H-E-A-P to "improve" their defence corps.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

6th in TOI amongst regular Ducks-D ... Leafs going C-H-E-A-P to "improve" their defence corps.

Treliving watched the Ducks, one of the worst defensive teams in the league, over the past two seasons and said "yeah, give me half their defence"

Benoit, Klingberg, Lybushkin

He didnt even get the good D like Gudas or Jensen

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

They don't have much choice unless they want to trade a 1st round pick and their 1st rounder from 25 is already gone. No 2nd round picks to trade.  

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They don't have much choice unless they want to trade a 1st round pick and their 1st rounder from 25 is already gone. No 2nd round picks to trade.  

If they were SERIOUS about improving their team for this season they could offer this year or 2026 first, or dangle Nicholas Robertson, Knies, Fraser Minten or Easton Cowan ... to re-purpose a classic, you can't get silk purses by offering sow's ears.

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If they were SERIOUS about improving their team for this season they could offer this year or 2026 first, or dangle Nicholas Robertson, Knies, Fraser Minten or Easton Cowan ... to re-purpose a classic, you can't get silk purses by offering sow's ears.

They could offer a 1st from another year or one of their top prospects.  And if that guaranteed winning a cup I am sure they would do it in a heartbeat. But a GM also has to think about the future and the Leafs have traded away so many picks that I don't blame Treliving for being a little cautious. 

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Come on Leafs, empty the tank! You got picks left.

image.png

Those trades can really come back to bite you. The Leafs gave up a 1st and a 4th for Nick Foligno 3 years ago.  How did that turn out?  Foligno played a total of 7 regular season games and 4 playoff games amassing a total of ZERO goals and 5 assists. I almost felt bad for the Leafs. Almost.