2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

18 hours ago, Helmethead said:

He didn’t have to waive him yesterday either but I think he saw the opening on Anaheim’s roster with the drysdale trade. 

Wouldn’t hold it past him. 

RHP is active tonight, so yes, the two seem related

• Upvote 1

Most picked 4 or 5 20goal Hab scorers this year, anyone wanna reconsider or re-guess?

Will Suzuki, Caufield & Monahan make it to 20? Guessing yes for Caufield-Suzuki and will his 15g with the Habs and 5 with the Aves count for Monahan?

image.png

1 hour ago, DON said:

Most picked 4 or 5 20goal Hab scorers this year, anyone wanna reconsider or re-guess?

Will Suzuki, Caufield & Monahan make it to 20? Guessing yes for Caufield-Suzuki and will his 15g with the Habs and 5 with the Aves count for Monahan?

image.png

I picked 5, thought Dach and Newhook would get to 30 for sure. Caufield is the biggest disappointment for me, sophomore jinx ?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I picked 5, thought Dach and Newhook would get to 30 for sure. Caufield is the biggest disappointment for me, sophomore jinx ?

Sophomore?

Minimum junior, maybe senior if the 10 games in 20/21 count.

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ah! ok, then this is who he is

Don't think anyone is saying that, just that he is no longer a "newbie".

39 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is very interesting, sometimes you just need a little patience especially with bigger guys. 

Agree

Hughes had 2 minutes more ice per game so that’s an extra 160 minutes so the scoring, points totals are fairly even. 

Look at Slafkovsky’s hits and blocked shots…Not even close. Slafkovsky plays both ends better than Hughes. 

Perhaps next season is when Slafkovsky hits another gear towards offence like Hughes did. 

Montembeault looks pretty good this season, his GSAx/60 is tenth-best in the league. And if we take our sad-sack PK out of the picture, he looks even stronger (no, he's not a Vezina candidate, at least not yet). Very happy that the Habs stuck with him and gave him the opportunity to improve his game.

image.png

On the downside, it's not helping the Habs to get a better draft pick this summer.

So Barron sent to Laval

Stephens placed on waivers to be sent to Laval if he clears. 

Pearson likely returns but we are now short a centre and we didn’t need two roster spots…

Trade coming? Xhekaj being called up? Loading up Laval for a Calder run?

I'm not sure 🤔 

Newhook (who may not be ideal at C anyway) isn't ready to come back so the C position is the most baffling.

No obvious candidates in this season's face-off stats (which do confirm the strength of our C position in terms of face-offs).

image.png

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Newhook (who may not be ideal at C anyway) isn't ready to come back so the C position is the most baffling.

No obvious candidates in this season's face-off stats (which do confirm the strength of our C position in terms of face-offs).

image.png

Xhekaj has been recalled. 

Curious who plays 4th line centre?

Perhaps we dress 7 D and shift work the three centres on the 4th?

55 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder if they are going to try and fill that vacant 4th Dman role?

Barron failed

Harris failed 

Struble failed 

Kovasevic failed 

Xhekaj - Guhle is what I would try

Guhle on the right?

Thank God Barron is gone and Wifi is back. Barron has been terrible, and we've been too soft around our net and in general since Wifi left.

I'm happy that Arber is back!!

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Awesome, just in time to play Ottawa.  I am sure the time in Laval was great for him. If nothing else it made him realize that to stay with the big team he has to play smart. 

Arber's time in Laval was also great for Mailloux.  What was Logan's +/- before Arber went down? -11 or -12, and its now -5.  Logan playing with Arber certainly helped him improve.

I'm definitely still hoping they bring up Mailloux this year to see how he does even if it is just for a few games.

It is also good that Barron was sent down because he needs to improve defensively.   I'm sure the peanut gallery will incensed by this but Barron also needs to learn to stop exposing his back to the other teams forwards.  

• Upvote 1