2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I never meant to suggest bullying - MUCH too strong a word. I just thought there was a scornful tone directed at the poster in a couple of replies. Didn't mean to cause a ruckus or accuse anybody.

I was replying to both.  You suggested incivility, the poster in question called it bullying. 

But that's neither here nor there, I merely meant the criticism of MSL should be taken with a grain of salt as its not something new.  There seems to be an agenda.  That's all.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I never meant to suggest bullying - MUCH too strong a word. I just thought there was a scornful tone directed at the poster in a couple of replies. Didn't mean to cause a ruckus or accuse anybody.

Sorry you were caught in the middle. I will also be careful on what I reply.

Happy trails!

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You seriously think Pezatta is the missing piece the Canucks need to win the cup??? Really?? Really?

I believe that is potentially possible.  Have you seen Pezz play in the playoffs?  Nope.  He gives 110% in the regular season so what level do you think he would play at in the playoffs?  I'm sure the answer would be the same level of intensity at a minimum and probably even higher.

Does anyone else realize that Van has no F's that are tough and Pezz would be the 2nd or 3rd strongest and likely the toughest guy on their team?  Not to mention the Nucks are currently built like a President Trophy team that gets knocked out in the 1st round.  They could definitely use some sand paper in their line up.

The peanut gallery is purposely misinterpreting my point.  Obviously, I'm not suggesting that Pezz will be their leading scorer.  lol  Besides, it not like 3rd or 4th liners have never been turned into a hero during a playoffs before.  

46 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I believe that is potentially possible.  Have you seen Pezz play in the playoffs?  Nope.  He gives 110% in the regular season so what level do you think he would play at in the playoffs?  I'm sure the answer would be the same level of intensity at a minimum and probably even higher.

Does anyone else realize that Van has no F's that are tough and Pezz would be the 2nd or 3rd strongest and likely the toughest guy on their team?  Not to mention the Nucks are currently built like a President Trophy team that gets knocked out in the 1st round.  They could definitely use some sand paper in their line up.

The peanut gallery is purposely misinterpreting my point.  Obviously, I'm not suggesting that Pezz will be their leading scorer.  lol  Besides, it not like 3rd or 4th liners have never been turned into a hero during a playoffs before. 

I think he'd be playing at the level of 0% in the playoffs as I'm skeptical he'd crack the regular lineup of most playoff-bound teams.  Maybe when there's an injury or for a one-game thing where they want to up the physicality but not as an every-game player.  Teams like Vancouver need grit, sure.  But I think they should be aiming a bit higher on the talent side of things. 

51 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

He gives 110% in the regular season so what level do you think he would play at in the playoffs?  I'm sure the answer would be the same level of intensity at a minimum and probably even higher.

I-M-O a dirty secret that few like to admit is that the average NHL player (even the superstars) don't play at 100% in the regular season ... the same is true for players in the NBA and MLB because of the length of the regular seasons ... that is why they can "step up their game" in the playoffs ... Pezzetta plays to the max because that is the only way he can stay in the NHL ... he has no "step" to take beyond that.

Believing Pezzetta is the missing piece to vancouver winning the stanley cup now makes me understand the Florian Xhekaj can score 30 goals and 60 points in the NHL posts that much more 

40 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A guy like Pezzetta certainly brings grit but he can also take some bad penalties which can be very detrimental in the playoffs as special teams become even more important. That would be a concern of mine. 

I will give him credit, he has cut those down this season which has been nice to see.

I wouldn't say it is just discipline either, I think he has improved all around.  Sure, he still isn't great by any means, but I agree with Mike Johnson that he's a respectable 4th liner.   Plus, what would he cost to get?  What is his salary?  See, he'd be a cheap pick up.   It is unarguable that Van needs to add some toughness.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I wouldn't say it is just discipline either, I think he has improved all around.  Sure, he still isn't great by any means, but I agree with Mike Johnson that he's a respectable 4th liner.   Plus, what would he cost to get?  What is his salary?  See, he'd be a cheap pick up.   It is unarguable that Van needs to add some toughness.

Van might be interested in a Pezzetta type as depth. They've had injuries in their bottom-6 and the feeling is that this has contributed to their recent dip in performance. And if you're trying to win the Cup, you need to have some bench strength.

However, I really doubt anyone, including Vancouver, is coughing up significant assets for Pezzetta. Maybe a 4th rounder. So in that sense, the entire scenario isn't worth getting too excited about one way or another.

Frankly, what I mostly hear about in Van is the need to be 8, 9 deep at D in order to make a deep run. David Savard is the Hab they should be targeting, in pure hockey terms. I get that the cap may preclude that. But that's probably what they need from the Canadiens roster. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Van might be interested in a Pezzetta type as depth. They've had injuries in their bottom-6 and the feeling is that this has contributed to their recent dip in performance. And if you're trying to win the Cup, you need to have some bench strength.

However, I really doubt anyone, including Vancouver, is coughing up significant assets for Pezzetta. Maybe a 4th rounder. So in that sense, the entire scenario isn't worth getting too excited about one way or another.

Frankly, what I mostly hear about in Van is the need to be 8, 9 deep at D in order to make a deep run. David Savard is the Hab they should be targeting, in pure hockey terms. I get that the cap may preclude that. But that's probably what they need from the Canadiens roster. 

The greatest move Vancouver could make is to pick up Josh Anderson. 

That would be a great move 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

👍    😄    😜

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

👍    😄    😜

Joking aside, I was thinking that. But the cap hit is too high. 

eve  with his lack of point production, he would be a better fit for VAN than Pezzetta

45 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Unfortunately Jim Benning is no longer Cancuks GM. Otherwise, I'm sure we could package Gally and Andy together in return for a high pick and quality prospect. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Pezzetta is simply not good enough to play on a good team. Doesn’t matter how hard he tries or how tough he is, he isn’t the answer to the Canucks needs. The Canucks could use a big tough Dman like Savard. But even than he wouldn’t be used like we are using him. He’d be the bottom pairing dman on the Canucks.

Could the Canucks use more toughness? Absolutely.  But they would be better served in getting a guy who can play hard on the top two lines. Someone like Horvat.  Could the use more toughness on the third, 4th lines?  Sure, but like I said, Pezzatta is not the answer - he is not a legit NHL player on a good team. He simply is not good enough of a hockey player. He’d have the same impact on the Canucks that Ryan Reeves is having on the Leafs. Zilch.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think Pezzetta would bring more like a 6th/7th rounder back, but agree with you about Savard.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Pezzetta would bring more like a 6th/7th rounder back, but agree with you about Savard.

I agree,  Pezetta gets at best a 6th/7th rounder.  I think Hughes will trade Savard if he can get a 1st round pick in the equation (likely have to retain 50%) otherwise he will wait until next year to trade him. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree,  Pezetta gets at best a 6th/7th rounder.  I think Hughes will trade Savard if he can get a 1st round pick in the equation (likely have to retain 50%) otherwise he will wait until next year to trade him. 

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Funny thing about Savard - the fact that he has another year on his deal might actually be a selling point for the Canucks. They have a huge number of D on expiring deals. If they’re not convinced about re-signing Zadorov, Myers, or Cole, they might appreciate the certainty of Savard’s contract.

All that said, this is just me talking; I haven’t hear any rumours linking Savard to the Canucks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Could the Canucks use more toughness? Absolutely.  But they would be better served in getting a guy who can play hard on the top two lines. Someone like Horvat.  Could the use more toughness on the third, 4th lines?  Sure, but like I said, Pezzatta is not the answer - he is not a legit NHL player on a good team. He simply is not good enough of a hockey player. He’d have the same impact on the Canucks that Ryan Reeves is having on the Leafs. Zilch.

Yes, that's obviously correct a top 6 tough guy would be better than a 4th liner.  However, any other player they don't really have cap space for and would have to change their team to add, and they'd have to give up a ton to get them.  

I'm surprised that on a Habs board there is vehement disagreement with a comment that sometimes a small little moves can make a large difference.  For years MB made a bunch of small additions with a low cost to attain that paid big dividends.   ex:  a 7th rnd pick to get a guy that scored the series winning goal vs the Leafs in 21.  Gustafsson was no super star but he was a significant and important pick up.

Interesting you mention Reaves, in the last 2 years Pezz has gained almost 10 lbs.  He's now 217 lbs and Reaves is 226 lbs and they're the same height.  In another year or 2 Pezz will be just as strong and tough as Reaves.   

People can say whatever they want about Reaves being a marginal 4th liner but the fact is he's 37 and has played 16 season in the NHL and he's signed for 2 more years.   Not to mention Vegas, Rangers, and Leafs were all strong teams that were playoff bound.   

No, I am not suggesting Pezz will play until he's 39.  

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about Savard - the fact that he has another year on his deal might actually be a selling point for the Canucks. They have a huge number of D on expiring deals. If they’re not convinced about re-signing Zadorov, Myers, or Cole, they might appreciate the certainty of Savard’s contract.

All that said, this is just me talking; I haven’t hear any rumours linking Savard to the Canucks.

That's a good point, other than Hughes the Canucks have to re sign almost the entire defense. If they needed Savard this year then a deal might make a lot of sense. 

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm surprised that on a Habs board there is vehement disagreement with a comment that sometimes a small little moves can make a large difference.  For years MB made a bunch of small additions with a low cost to attain that paid big dividends.   ex:  a 7th rnd pick to get a guy that scored the series winning goal vs the Leafs in 21.  Gustafsson was no super star but he was a significant and important pick up.

I don't think anyone disagrees that a small depth move can sometimes be impactful.  I think the disagreement stems from most here thinking Pezzetta doesn't crack Vancouver's lineup and thus can't be impactful in the playoffs whereas you feel he would play regularly on their fourth line and would have a chance to make a difference. 

For the depth move to matter, the player has to actually play and barring injuries, I don't see where he fits in their lineup.  If they're going to make a fourth-line addition, I suspect that it's going to be a player that's better than Pezzetta.  Right now, their fourth-line wingers are Sam Lafferty and Ilya Mikheyev.  Pezzetta isn't better than those two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the Habs' trend:

We have to hope that it’s a question of incremental improvements to individual young players, and that eventually those improvements will tip us over the edge into better results. From that point of view, we just haven’t hit “critical mass” yet. 

That’s sort of what Hughes said in his presser. In effect: we like how our young players are coming along, but projecting team performance is much harder.

I suspect it’s going to be a bumpy ride, TBH. Look at teams like Buffalo and Ottawa that were expected to surge forward but instead crapped out. I can imagine a future where the Habs’ period of struggling (a) drags on longer than we want (b) causes the fanbase to sour and then (c) after everyone has given up on the team, and media “experts” project “another tough year” for the Canadiens, we see the dam break and start winning lots of games. 

In this hypothetical future, the key thing will be for management not to panic and do a Mcdonagh/Sergachev type trade out of a sense that things aren’t working. Stay the course and stick to the process.