2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

33 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree with the price, if you don't get it then wait until next year.

I agree too, since the 1st pick is late 1st round and the young player is not going to be performing at his projected peek yet.

Dont imagine any GM will be that desperate for Savard and staying 1 more year wont hurt any, he can provide bit of experience for Mailloux-Reinbacher to learn from.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree with the price, if you don't get it then wait until next year.

So this is one of those 'entirely out of context' reports.  Here's what LeBrun actually said (emphasis mine):

There’s clearly a conversation happening within that Habs front office, though, about Savard’s value, both in terms of staying put and what it would take to move him. It’s a healthy debate. I think it would take a first-round pick, a young player with value equivalent to a first-round pick or multiple picks with combined value equivalent to a first.

It's not a 1st, a young player, and multiple picks, the reported asking price is one of the three.  Basically, the anticipated value is that of a first-round pick, not a smorgasbord of valuable picks and a young player.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

So this is one of those 'entirely out of context' reports.  Here's what LeBrun actually said (emphasis mine):

It's not a 1st, a young player, and multiple picks, the reported asking price is one of the three.  Basically, the anticipated value is that of a first-round pick, not a smorgasbord of valuable picks and a young player.

Thank you

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, it was poorly worded, in the article where I took this it clarified what they meant and indicated the same quote you mentioned. The headline was just poorly worded. 

Montreal Canadiens Organizational Players of February (habseyesontheprize.com)

NHL Player AHL Player EU Prospect NA Prospect PWHL Player
February Nick Suzuki Jakub Dobeš Oliver Kapanen Owen Beck Claire Dalton
January Sean Monahan Logan Mailloux Filip Eriksson Lane Hutson Marie-Philip Poullin
December Juraj Slafkovský Jakub Dobeš Filip Eriksson Jacob Fowler  
November Alex Newhook Brandon Gignac Adam Engström Jacob Fowler  
October Cole Caufield Joshua Roy Oliver Kapanen Cedrick Guindon  

12 minutes ago, DON said:

January Sean Monahan Logan Mailloux Filip Eriksson Lane Hutson Marie-Philip Poullin

Seeing Dobes and Fowler up there like that is encouraging. We need at least one of them to become a NHL starter at some point 

35 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Seeing Dobes and Fowler up there like that is encouraging. We need at least one of them to become a NHL starter at some point 

I think that the idea is one becomes part of a tandem with Monty.  I dont know that pure starter is the way to go anymore unless you find a Carey Price level guy.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Oh goody, 😍 😍 😍 some Owen Beck love !!! 😍 😍 😍 

Don;t know why it is the first name that jumped out of that list :)

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I think that the idea is one becomes part of a tandem with Monty.  I dont know that pure starter is the way to go anymore unless you find a Carey Price level guy.

I agree that something closer to  60/40 type split would be perfect. Hopefully Fowler is good enough to make Monty the 40. Monty has been great but hoping Fowler is even better 

34 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree that something closer to  60/40 type split would be perfect. Hopefully Fowler is good enough to make Monty the 40. Monty has been great but hoping Fowler is even better 

Goalies are voodoo but Fowler has been as good as we could have hoped this season.

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Even so, I don’t think they’re getting that for Savard. Adjust all those scenarios downward to a 2nd-rounder and I think it’s more plausible.

Savard’s stock seems to be lower than it should be, given how much GMs like blood-and-guts veterans for the playoffs. I wonder if that’s because the Habs have priced him out of the market.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Even so, I don’t think they’re getting that for Savard. Adjust all those scenarios downward to a 2nd-rounder and I think it’s more plausible.

Savard’s stock seems to be lower than it should be, given how much GMs like blood-and-guts veterans for the playoffs. I wonder if that’s because the Habs have priced him out of the market.

Given what Calgary got for Taney, I don’t see us getting a first.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Given what Calgary got for Taney, I don’t see us getting a first.

One difference here is that Savard has another year on his contract. If Montreal retains 50% (as Calgary did with Tanev) then you have Savard for 2 playoff runs at a cheap price. Savard is worth more than Tanev IF the Habs retain 50%. How much more is open to debate. 

I wish the Gallagher family all the best during these trying times:

37 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Arber Xhekaj’s NHL stats for the season and they are impressive. What I glean from these stats is that Xhekaj is too good for bottom pairing and it’s time to see if he can hold these stats against better players. 

IMG_0317.jpeg

Interesting numbers for sure. He kind of has been second pair with Savard lately and hasn’t looked out of place for most part, they actually make a decent combo from the eye test, have not looked at advanced metrics.

I’ve personally always seen him ending up as a solid 4/5 guy with second unit PP potential and possibly PK potential should he learn some finer points on positioning, disrupting, reading NHL PP’s. Playing PP time may actually help him see the angles when on PK.

I do believe he is best served by having continued, sustained success in a lower role for a longer period of time before I’d throw him out against top 6’s every shift, every night (not that you’re saying that is the case either).   Again, he is playing on what is the second pair now and ice time creeping up to the higher teens and into the twenties now.  I think you may have called it, and they are thrusting him into more responsibility/trust.

Given his trajectory and season so far, I’d like him to end on a strong note rather than pushing him too hard. Post season exit meeting, you tell him he needs to elevate his play once again and will have a shot at top 4 next year type thing.  Knowing what we know of him, he’ll come back faster, stronger, more aware hopefully.  He needs to stop chasing players so far out of position in d zone, start recognizing when they are no longer a threat and just pulling him away from the important areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Arber Xhekaj’s NHL stats for the season and they are impressive. What I glean from these stats is that Xhekaj is too good for bottom pairing and it’s time to see if he can hold these stats against better players. 

Well, sucks for him that Matheson & Guhle are both healthy and Hutson likley suiting up in Hab jersey this season for a token game or three?, hope Mailloux & Trudeau get a game at least before end of season. 

It just looks so awkward for lefties to play right side; too many negatives;

backhand giving and taking cross ice passs & backhand at opposing blueline along the boards... some can manage 'OK' but Guhle/Harris are obviously better on normal side.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Well, sucks for him that Matheson & Guhle are both healthy and Hutson likley suiting up in Hab jersey this season for a token game or three?, hope Mailloux & Trudeau get a game at least before end of season. 

It just looks so awkward for lefties to play right side; too many negatives;

backhand giving and taking cross ice passs & backhand at opposing blueline along the boards... some can manage 'OK' but Guhle/Harris are obviously better on normal side.

Guhle is playing the right side and has been for a while.

Xhekaj has been second pair with Savard as of late, which is a good test for now.

Start by moving Savard and Norlinder, the rest, keep playing them til you are sure who are the best ones and then move those you dont see in your future.

Dont think Barron has done well since demoted to Laval and Trudeau is bit of long shot with Habs isnt he; being a LH-d & Struble playing well as a rookie?