2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

Xhekaj/Barron what kind of deals will they likely get?

Guhle/Slafkovski, will both get extended in July?

Ylonen?

2 hours ago, DON said:

Xhekaj/Barron what kind of deals will they likely get?

Guhle/Slafkovski, will both get extended in July?

Ylonen?

At first glance without giving it much thought: 

Xhekaj: 2 x $1.4 (the Harris deal)

Barron: 1 x $900K one-way

Guhle: If extended, 8 x $6.5

Slafkovsky: Don't think he'll extend, think Habs will offer 8 x $7.5-$7.75.  That's on the low end for #1 picks so his agent may suggest waiting.

Ylonen: Takes a year at the minimum or is non-tendered.  Could also go overseas and Habs then retain his rights with a QO.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 1:29 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's sort of the trouble, IMHO. We can talk about "flipping a D for a FW" but guys like Harris, Barron, Struble and Kovacevic are unlikely to command a significant return.

The dudes who would bring back a major asset - WiFi, Mailloux, Hutson, Guhle - are the ones we would HATE to see traded. 

Perhaps the likeliest outcome is that one of our crown jewels on D is actually what gets moved in order to bring back an impact young FW. And we then trust that our blueline depth will allow us to absorb the blow to our D. 

Rebalancing the roster sounds good but it will probably hurt.

Here is my gut. For 2 years from now.

They go with "we know what we have".

Keep Hutson, Mailloux, WiFi for their uniqueness. Reinbacher is their flagship pick. And Guhle. They decide that Guhle is basically a veteran in poise and attitude. A more mature Xhejak being the glue type presence a vet may also fill. Therefore not feeling the pressure to add a top end vet.

Now for the off ice maturity and guidance. That does not have to be a dman. A Gallagher (if he can screw his head back on straight and commit to the role) can do that. Plus Marty is a huge factor here compared to other coaches. They may also feel having Robidas as an exdman who isnt toooo far removed from his playing days helps.

THE MOVES

They then move off both Barron and Harris.

Barron this off-season. 100%. I think they see Mailloux on the starting roster next season.

Then its either pairing Barron (or the assets he his flipped for) with our next first round pick. Top 3 protected. For forward help. That pick will be valued at worst... 7th-12th OA I'd say by gms I'd think.

Harris they hold till camp to see how Hutson and the guys do. Move Harris at deadline to make room for Hutson, Struble or Reinbacher.

Start of 2024-2025

Matheson-Guhle

Harris-Mailloux

Wifi-Savard

Kova

AHL

Struble

Hutson

Reinbacher

I think Matheson stays next year (unless Hutson is insane) and is moved the following year in a similar deal paired with assets for a forward.

Kovacevic I figure will be someone we can sell for over market value at the deadline because of his low cap hit. Someone will overpay for playoff depth if he is decent next year. It's highly unlikely he'd want to resign given the number of young d here imo. Even if we wanted to keep him as a 7.

(Pet kova theory: maybe toronto does in the off-season. They will be rebulding He kinda vibes like a traveling guy and they need cheap deals.)

Start of 2025-26 something like... 

Guhle (24)-Reinbacher (20)

Struble (24)-Mailloux (23)

Hutson (22)-Wifi (25)

7th - Savardesque Dude

More even minute distribution for 2nd 3rd pairing. Pairings obviously not in stone I figure Wifi with Hutson to protect him early as he will be a target.

Running Hutson AND Mailloux on the pp because Hutson basically is a rover. They add different elements to a pp.

Guhle or Renbacher are likely smart or poised enough for the largely irrelevant pp2 anyways.

The big thing is how Hutson translates. Mailloux can play nhl hockey and likely pp a good powerplay. That is the development they wait for before moving one of them. I don't think they move guhle or reinbacer. Wifi... I think they keep him to ensure mailloux doesn't feel he has to do some of the crazier stuff. Stuble seems like a solid guy there too.

I watched quite a few Laval Rocket games this season and I do not think Mailloux is ready.

Despite the criticism, Barron does a better job in the NHL than Mailloux.

Also, Hutson needs time to develop his potential. Let’s not rush him.

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I watched quite a few Laval Rocket games this season and I do not think Mailloux is ready.

Despite the criticism, Barron does a better job in the NHL than Mailloux.

Also, Hutson needs time to develop his potential. Let’s not rush him.

Im not sure that Barron has a NHL career, I think he is on the borderline. 

Having said that, I noticed an improvement in his Dzone play when he got called up in the late season. He made simple box out plays and was much better at covering his man. 

Maybe he has enough growth left to have a bottom pairing role. 

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Having said that, I noticed an improvement in his Dzone play when he got called up in the late season. He made simple box out plays and was much better at covering his man. 

Maybe he has enough growth left to have a bottom pairing role. 

in my potato head eyes, he would be a good replacement for Kovacevic down the road.

52 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

But, perhaps better to allow Mailloux to "fully bake" in the AHL and put up with Barron in the short -term ... for the start of next season, it isn't a question of picking who will be the better player in 2-3-4 years but where each player is best placed for the benefit of the Habs in 2-3-4 years.

40 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

in my potato head eyes, he would be a good replacement for Kovacevic down the road.

😍

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But, perhaps better to allow Mailloux to "fully bake" in the AHL and put up with Barron in the short -term ... for the start of next season, it isn't a question of picking who will be the better player in 2-3-4 years but where each player is best placed for the benefit of the Habs in 2-3-4 years.

This makes perfect sense and I expect it will be how HuGo approach it. 

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I know that I’m in the minority here but I think Kovacevic is far ahead of Barron. 

Kovasevic is pushing the boundaries of second pairing (he can’t handle it yet). 

Barron is pushing the boundaries of #7 Dman 

IMO

38 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I know that I’m in the minority here but I think Kovacevic is far ahead of Barron. 

IMO

Not certain I agree that Kovacevic is "pushing the boundaries of second pairing" ... but I agree he is a better 6/7 option than Barron ... he is I-M-O far superior defensively and THAT is what I look for in a 6/7 defenceman ... he also brings an element of physicality ... but we all have our favourites ... "Potato Head" is an unabashed Barron fan.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This makes perfect sense and I expect it will be how HuGo approach it. 

IMO

If you take their age difference as an indicator of the potential for the younger one to improve. Kovacevic (26) has had 4 more years than Barron (22) to develop.

At 22, Kovacevic was in the AHL: 29Games 2g 12a 14pts

Barron's combined AHL;NHL:       80Games 9g 15a 24pts

So, IMHO, there is hope for Barron.

51 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If you take their age difference as an indicator of the potential for the younger one to improve. Kovacevic (26) has had 4 more years than Barron (22) to develop.

I agree there is hope, you just have more of that hope than I do. 

If the plan is to move Guhle back to the left side that would leave Reinbacker, Mailloux, Kovasevic, Barron. With Harris as a pivot. 

Barron has opportunities there

27 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree there is hope, you just have more of that hope than I do. 

If the plan is to move Guhle back to the left side that would leave Reinbacker, Mailloux, Kovasevic, Barron. With Harris as a pivot. 

Barron has opportunities there

Guhle is more effective on LD. Once Savard is moved or retires (if he stays) Reinbacher, Mailloux, and Barron would be a solid RD. With Kovacevic as a ackup in case of injuries, if he is not traded by that time.

Of course, it depends on how well they all develop

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Both Kovacevic and Barron are affordable RD choices. And neither one is old, especially for D--Kovacevic is still only 26. I think either one could be a fit for the Habs' D corps, but probably not both. The decision between the two will depend not only on their skills but also on which style (offensive or defensive) is a better fit--and which of the two will have better trade value.

But, yes, I agree that both can be credible NHL D-men, although probably not both of them in Montreal.

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Both Kovacevic and Barron are affordable RD choices. And neither one is old, especially for D--Kovacevic is still only 26. I think either one could be a fit for the Habs' D corps, but probably not both. The decision between the two will depend not only on their skills but also on which style (offensive or defensive) is a better fit--and which of the two will have better trade value.

But, yes, I agree that both can be credible NHL D-men, although probably not both of them in Montreal.

don't forget that MTL is cursed and that key players get hurt at the worst of times. Having extra depth on RD can only be positive

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He would need to clears waivers in 24-25, so that aint gonna play out.

If you are talking Barron?

image.png

With Guhle eligible to sign an extension come July 1st, the Habs should be so lucky ...

NOTE: For some reason the bottom of the Twitter post is cut-off ... 6 yrs @ $4.6M AAV

I will be utterly shocked if Hutson isn't on the big team right from the start of the season.... He has that swagger that MSL knows all to well. 

Someone is gone to make room for him immediately.  Bet on it.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I will be utterly shocked if Hutson isn't on the big team right from the start of the season.... He has that swagger that MSL knows all to well. 

Someone is gone to make room for him immediately.  Bet on it.

Completely agree 

However Hutson may start in Laval because we don’t have roster spots. 

If Hughes can’t trade a Dman then we are kind of hooped. 

We can’t carry 10 Dmen and the Habs don’t have a great deal of waiver exempt players to manoeuvre with. 

The defenseman who Hutson has been compared to most (in Habs lore anyway) is Subban.

Subban was a late 2nd round pick, did two.years of junior post draft, then a year of AHL, and then came up in the 2010 playoffs when Markov got hurt against Pittsburgh.

Hutson has done two.years of college post draft.  A year dominating the AHL isnt out of the question.

I don't want a top 10 pick next summer unless it's another team's. What do we need to do with the current team to start winning more? 

Reducing high danger chances against, is my first thought. Can associate coaching changes help this?

A second offensive threat is my second. Can Dach stay healthy and be that 2nd threat beside newhook?