2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Worth noting, two of the players in their group rankings are players that were traded away two months ago (Mysak and Legare).

yes, they have been late in updating the website. I wonder if the person doing does check something like cap friendly to check on the roster and prospects status

Caufield vs Slafkovski today in tune up game.

Guhle to play vs Hungary

1 hour ago, DON said:

Offseason Checklist: Montreal Canadiens (prohockeyrumors.com)

"So, Hughes needs to determine if he wants to go back into offseason LTIR or not.  If he does, they could be players either in free agency or perhaps taking on a short-term pricey contract as they did with Monahan two years ago. "

Brian's background/analysis to that question was:

Even with the cap set to rise by more than $1MM this time around, there will be teams looking to move out some salary.  The benefit would be more future than current as they’d likely be compensated with a draft pick but if they’re not in a spot where they think they can push for a playoff spot – which would be a lofty goal – then they wouldn’t be concerned about that.

If they don’t want to go into offseason LTIR, it might be worth them trying to dip out of it altogether.  They currently have about $78.6MM in commitments, per CapFriendly, with Barron and Arber Xhekaj being the only two RFAs on the roster who could command a seven-figure contract.  That would still leave them room to try to add a piece while also staying under the cap ceiling (meaning Price would be on regular IR), allowing them to bank money for in-season flexibility or to try to avoid incurring a seven-figure bonus overage for the third straight year, a move that would help them cap-wise heading into 2025-26. 

As usual, he is spot on ... absent any trades in the days to come, the Habs have some pending UFAs (Armia, Dvorak, Evans, Savard ... even Pezzetta) that may be in play come the deadline; having cap flexibility to retain salary (one slot left) or take-back "money" in-season will likely be very enticing ... I expect it will have to be a significant "payoff" to take on a contract and go into summer LTIR.

• Like 1

ClickBait30 reporting that the Habs are one of the teams bidding for Maxim Tsyplakov (Forward, 25 yrs-old, 6'2", 189 lbs) who had by far a CAREER season in 23/24 with Moscow Spartak (one fewer goal than his previous career total in six KHL seasons) ... apparently, Nick Bobrov has family ties to Maxim's father Sergei.

NOTE: Could be good to have a veteran Russian on the team if they get lucky and land Demidov. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

ClickBait30 reporting that the Habs are one of the teams bidding for Maxim Tsyplakov (Forward, 25 yrs-old, 6'2", 189 lbs) who had by far a CAREER season in 23/24 with Moscow Spartak (one fewer goal than his previous career total in six KHL seasons) ... apparently, Nick Bobrov has family ties to Maxim's father Sergei.

NOTE: Could be good to have a veteran Russian on the team if they get lucky and land Demidov. 

It was reported by Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts podcast that both the Leafs and Habs were teams who have met with him and his agent.  There is lots of competition though... double digits in teams are interested.

He could make his decision this week.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I dunno, seems most of these guys are overrated and dont do much once hit the NHL, so dosent excite me too much or any.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Teams continue to ask Habs about Xhekaj — The Fourth Period

"Several clubs have been reaching out to the Habs about their blueliners, but one player Hughes does not have interest in moving AT THIS TIME is Arber Xhekaj."

OR is he just trying to get a bidding war started?

I see no need, nor have any desire, to trade Xhekaj ... but for the right deal I would accept HuGo trading anybody on the roster.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

OR is he just trying to get a bidding war started?

I see no need, nor have any desire, to trade Xhekaj ... but for the right deal I would accept HuGo trading anybody on the roster.

I agree, no need or desire to trade Arber but for the right price anyone is available.  I don't think Hughes is trying to start a bidding war, I just don't think he has any interest in trading him. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

I dunno, seems most of these guys are overrated and dont do much once hit the NHL, so dosent excite me too much or any.

Artemi Panarin

Andrei Kuzmenko

Pius Suter
Artyom Zub

have all worked out pretty good for these Euro free agent signings.  Yes, others haven't worked, but its the same as a 2nd round draft pick, even if most fail, there are some home runs out there so its worth taking a swing. 

Most get ELCs, so for these types of players it costs no more than a contract slot and minimal contract that can be sent to the AHL. 

I don't see the downside, and the upside is high. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, no need or desire to trade Arber but for the right price anyone is available.  I don't think Hughes is trying to start a bidding war, I just don't think he has any interest in trading him. 

Habs have lots of LH d-men. Hutson-Matheson-Guhle arnt going anywhere anytime soon.

If his value is high and added to Jet pick, might be a great return in top-six forward for a 3rd pairing d-man.

Better than dealing away RH Mailloux, i think.

And Struble-Harris-Barron-Kovacevic- Savard value not real high in trade.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Most get ELCs, so for these types of players it costs no more than a contract slot and minimal contract that can be sent to the AHL.

Tsyplakov will also wind up with one, a one-year agreement based on his age.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Tsyplakov will also wind up with one, a one-year agreement based on his age.

Upside ... only a short commitment

Downside ... only a short commitment

Depends on how he does.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Upside ... only a short commitment

Downside ... only a short commitment

Depends on how he does.

Hed still be rfa after the deal

Its low risk.  If he earns a good contract thats a good problem to have.  If he doesnt earn a second contract, you just let him walk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Hed still be rfa after the deal

Yes ... but they get a season to assess his NHL viability ... so contract slot not encumbered unless they want it to be.

023-24 Final Grades: Goalies and Defencemen – HabsWorld.net

Dont think i agree with this one, the young fellow played some awesome hockey often, didnt he?

Kaiden Guhle: Player Rating = 6/10

My biased opinion, i would peg him at 7/10 or maybe even 8/10. He basically has a bit over 1 season played and love his skating, is physical and seems pretty smart with puck.

And was better at self-preservation than was in his rookie year,

image.png

And he had 1g1a for Team Canada yesterday.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

023-24 Final Grades: Goalies and Defencemen – HabsWorld.net

Dont think i agree with this one, the young fellow played some awesome hockey often, didnt he?

Kaiden Guhle: Player Rating = 6/10

My biased opinion, i would peg him at 7/10 or maybe even 8/10. He basically has a bit over 1 season played and love his skating, is physical and seems pretty smart with puck.

And was better at self-preservation than was in his rookie year,

image.png

And he had 1g1a for Team Canada yesterday.

Depends on what system one uses ... if you take account of "where he is in his career" he could play better in future years but get a lower score ... if you dispassionately score him just on his play this season, regardless of experience then it may be fair ... I-M-O very few players ever deserve an 8, let alone 9 or 10.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Depends on what system one uses ... if you take account of "where he is in his career" he could play better in future years but get a lower score ... if you dispassionately score him just on his play this season, regardless of experience then it may be fair ... I-M-O very few players ever deserve an 8, let alone 9 or 10.

Reading the article, I also don't agree with rating Guhle below Struble and Kovacevik, regardless of the arbitrary number assigned as a rating.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If that was the case I’d agree, but the ratings make zero sense, when you comisiderntjr following other ratings:

-Matheson-9

-Struble -8

-Kovacavik-7

-Savard-7

-Xhekaj-6

–Guhle-6

-Harris-6

Barron-4

i won’t bother with the goalies.

frankly, this is one article that was a waste of time.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If that was the case I’d agree, but the ratings make zero sense, when you comisiderntjr following other ratings:

-Matheson-9

-Struble -8

-Kovacavik-7

-Savard-7

-Xhekaj-6

–Guhle-6

-Harris-6

Barron-4

i won’t bother with the goalies.

frankly, this is one article that was a waste of time.

I suspect another factor --- EXPECTATIONS --- played a factor ... which screws up any ratings even more than "where he is in his career".