Game #10, Nov. 2, Montreal @ Arizona, 10pm EST

TurdBurglar

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Coincidentally, Arpon Basu posted a story on The Athletic yesterday about playing with balance and how he wants all four lines to have a balanced attack (and defence). The second line is the one that’s struggling with this.

St. Louis said he remains confident in the line and is going to stick with it. And he refused to isolate Slafkovský from his linemates. The line needs to be better, and he will continue working on how it can get better. And once the line is playing more within the structure of how the team plays, and if Slafkovský continues to struggle at that point, then maybe the questions on his game will be more justified.

But for now, he is just one part of a more general problem with his more veteran linemates.

So, he is not about to change this.

I just keep hearing he wants to give Slaf more stability this season. Which makes sense I guess. He won't have to think as much about what his linemates might do and focus on himself?

I just wish he'd played another year abroad or in the ahl last year.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Why does Marty continue to keep Newhook, Slaf, Anderson together?

I know the RHP injury caused some changes there but seriously Marty the second line is terrible and you need to do something about it. 

Stubbornness, and because at the end of the day, I don’t think Anderson can really work with anyone.

• Like 1

Suzuki 4 shots & seemed to be flying.

Gallagher is a new-old man this year, 1g-1a & 4 shots 

6 Shots for Matheson

Allen playing solid

Cooley 8pts 10games and game winning pass, Habs mgmt appears made wrong decision; but, 5'10" just wasnt big enough.

Go Canucks Go:canada:

10 Thoughts: Habs Fall Asleep Mid-Game, Lose to Coyotes – HabsWorld.net

Bottom Six Minutes: Sean Monahan is on fire - Habs Eyes on the Prize

Can we put bubble-wrap on Monahan till the end of Feb?

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Why does Marty continue to keep Newhook, Slaf, Anderson together?

I know the RHP injury caused some changes there but seriously Marty the second line is terrible and you need to do something about it. 

Dvorak will be off LTIR and is expected to be ready for Saturday.  This will free Monahan from the 3rd line and he will most likely center the 2nd line between Slaf and Newhook.  I would imagine this means Anderson goes back to the top line regardless of RHP is hurt or not.

56 minutes ago, DON said:

Suzuki 4 shots & seemed to be flying.

Gallagher is a new-old man this year, 1g-1a & 4 shots 

6 Shots for Matheson

Allen playing solid

Cooley 8pts 10games and game winning pass, Habs mgmt appears made wrong decision; but, 5'10" just wasnt big enough.

Go Canucks Go:canada:

10 Thoughts: Habs Fall Asleep Mid-Game, Lose to Coyotes – HabsWorld.net

Bottom Six Minutes: Sean Monahan is on fire - Habs Eyes on the Prize

Can we put bubble-wrap on Monahan till the end of Feb?

I will very happily eat my words, but yes, I am pretty sure we made the wrong call on Slaf. 50 games and he has shown absolutely nothing.

Allen, Matheson, Gally, Monahan - our current team is being driven by vets plus CC/Suzuki. In certain sense it’s a bad news story disguised as a good one. Hopefully by the end of the season it will be kids who are dominating our highlight reels.

10 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

One team played last night, but it wasn't the team that played poorly in the 3rd and couldn't stay out of the box.

Arizona: five minors

Montreal: Four minors + penalty shot

30 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Dvorak will be off LTIR and is expected to be ready for Saturday.  This will free Monahan from the 3rd line and he will most likely center the 2nd line between Slaf and Newhook.  I would imagine this means Anderson goes back to the top line regardless of RHP is hurt or not.

I hope this is the route they take but I’m not sure that Marty would put Monahan or Newhook on the first line. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Stubbornness, and because at the end of the day, I don’t think Anderson can really work with anyone.

Sounds like Anderson should spend some time with Evans and Pezzetta on the 4th line but I doubt that happens 

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Allen, Matheson, Gally, Monahan - our current team is being driven by vets plus CC/Suzuki. In certain sense it’s a bad news story disguised as a good one. Hopefully by the end of the season it will be kids who are dominating our highlight reels.

Guhle, Barron, Kovacevic, Montembeault?

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Dvorak will be off LTIR and is expected to be ready for Saturday. 

Do we know this for sure?  He's eligible to come off, doesn't mean he will come off.  In my head, it makes more sense for him to wait until after the road trip to return.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Do we know this for sure?  He's eligible to come off, doesn't mean he will come off.  In my head, it makes more sense for him to wait until after the road trip to return.

Depends. What if he's been ready for a while now and went on LTIR only  because of Habs forward group just a little crowded.

Seeing how he fairs with Pearson and Gally and moving Monahan between Newhook and Slav could get that li e going.

But, Anderson back on the top line?

Coming into the line up with RHP out could be most ideal. 

22 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Guhle, Barron, Kovacevic, Montembeault?

Yes, as I note in the “Discussion” thread, our D is looking to become very strong as it develops. In fact I am, unusually for me, very optimistic that we will end up with one of the league’s absolute best D corps. There is too much young talent, some of it with high ceilings, for the D not to work out.

It’s the FW unit that worries me. There’s the dynamic duo and that’s about it. The performance of vets like Monahan, Pearson, even Gallagher, is papering that over for now, but it’s looking like a structural weakness in the rebuild at this juncture.  I would guess we will need to swing a high-impact trade involving one of our important defencemen within the next year or two in order to try to add an impact younger FW.

21 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Depends. What if he's been ready for a while now and went on LTIR only  because of Habs forward group just a little crowded.

Seeing how he fairs with Pearson and Gally and moving Monahan between Newhook and Slav could get that li e going.

But, Anderson back on the top line?

Coming into the line up with RHP out could be most ideal. 

if RHP is out and D-Vo back, I would keep Anderson with Newhook to continue working on building chemistry between them; Monahan can take Dach’s spot on that line.

I don’t want Anderson in the top line and I much rather have Armia on the top line than any other option. 
The Pearson-Dvorak-Gallagher line kind-of looks like a good 3rd line 

37 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I think that's basically what they did as he was skating on his own just a few days into the season.  As it turns out, he is with the team in St. Louis so it looks like he will indeed play.  The Habs will have to make a roster move first to activate him.  (Harvey-Pinard to IR is the easiest one if he's going to be out for a few games but he's currently listed as DTD.)

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I would keep Anderson with Newhook to continue working on building chemistry between them ...

WHO has Anderson ever built any chemistry with?
He is a "third-wheel" forward.
Play Monahan with Slafkovsky and Newhook, they BOTH need veteran "leadership" ... move Pearson or Gallagher up with NS&CC ... pair Dvorak with the one who is "left behind" and Anderson.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He was put on LTIR because he wasn't ready to start the season, and the Habs needed to manage cap space ... but he was never expected back before November ... he has cleared and practiced "full speed" for a week or ten days, which is probably about normal from someone coming back from knee surgery before returning to the lineup.

23 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It’s what the TSN announcers were saying, multiple times, during the Arizona game.  That is my only insight into it.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

He was put on LTIR because he wasn't ready to start the season, and the Habs needed to manage cap space ... but he was never expected back before November ... he has cleared and practiced "full speed" for a week or ten days, which is probably about normal from someone coming back from knee surgery before returning to the lineup.

He actually has been practicing with a full contact jersey for more then two weeks and even taking morning skates and travelling with team knowing that he had no chance to play until as early as Nov 4th because of LTIR. That tells me he's been ready for a while now and just marinating. He was clearly put on LTIR to play it safe and give him extra time to be ready as well as "coincidentally" help the habs with decision making on the opening night roster. Let's not try to read to much into this