Game 25 - Canadiens vs Kraken - December 4, 2023 - 7:30 p.m.

GHT120

52 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It would be shocking if Savard isn't dealt at the deadline IMHO

It'll come down it if a team is willing to eat his 2 year entire contract at $3.5m AAV.  I doubt Montreal will have an appetite retaining any salary this season, considering the last retention slot would be way more valuable being used for Monahan if they are looking to trade him.

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

IMHO He doesn’t have a lot of value outside Montreal.

I could easily see teams like Edmonton or Toronto being interested in Savard if they can make the cap work.  Both teams are on the hunt for a defensive defenseman, especially one that can eat 20 minutes a game. 

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

[...]

I could easily see teams like Edmonton or Toronto being interested in Savard if they can make the cap work.  Both teams are on the hunt for a defensive defenseman, especially one that can eat 20 minutes a game. 

Let's hope, he has been hurt so often and for so long that he is not missed.

Next year can off load Savard, doubt he will be dealt this year. Too much youth on  right-side and likely worth more when becoming a UFA in 25.

Yes, he kinda sucks, but in rebuilding mode that wont hurt and I just want to see Lindstrom gone to Laval.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Next year can off load Savard, doubt he will be dealt this year. Too much youth on  right-side and likely worth more when becoming a UFA in 25.

Yes, he kinda sucks, but in rebuilding mode that wont hurt and I just want to see Lindstrom gone to Laval.

That's my thoughts as well, the extra year makes it harder to trade him, next year will be far easier plus the younger defensemen will be a little more experienced and won't need him as much. 

Next year may be an easier trade but I think Barron and Kovacevic will be quite ready for the responsibility next year, maybe Harris, too. Add to that Reinbacher and Mailloux in Laval, and I don’t think we need Savard next year.

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Next year may be an easier trade but I think Barron and Kovacevic will be quite ready for the responsibility next year, maybe Harris, too. Add to that Reinbacher and Mailloux in Laval, and I don’t think we need Savard next year.

As he's still under contract, having Savard in case Reinbacher or Mailloux is quite ready to make the full-time, isn't a bad problem to have. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Not a problem—but neither will he be essential, I think.

Kovavevic (105games), Barron (67games), Guhle(64games), (Harris(91games) 

Seems a pretty green group and at least 1 RH veteran might be smart to have around (even if is a Savard-type on the 3rd pairing).

1 hour ago, DON said:

Kovavevic (105games), Barron (67games), Guhle(64games), (Harris(91games) 

Seems a pretty green group and at least 1 RH veteran might be smart to have around (even if is a Savard-type on the 3rd pairing).

By the end of the season, barring injuries, Kovacevic will be 160+ and Harris 150+, Guhle and Barron 120+ games. They are showing remarkable maturity this season already--with no Savard presence!--and with Matheson still on the roster, I really don't see Savard as critical for next season.

But Savard, besides being old, doesn’t have any real qualities. He is like Hall Gill out there just flopping on the ice blocking shots. He gets injured blocking them

58 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

But Savard, besides being old, doesn’t have any real qualities. He is like Hall Gill out there just flopping on the ice blocking shots. He gets injured blocking them

Pfft, what a bs thing To say about an NHL calibre player.

additionally, when it comes to taking abuse/blocking shots:

If it isn’t Savard doing it, it is going to be Guhle even more so than he already has to.

He will be the one on IR and is far too valuable to be taking on that primary penalty kill, shot block load.

Mattheson is not that type of player (he does block a decent amount of shots). you need a vet that can lead the way in that regard and defend a third period onslaught.

Every winner has dmen sacrificing themselves for the team, acting like it isn’t essential is ignorant.  Some players are better than others at understanding the angles/lanes and how to make themselves big, it is a skill set in its own.  Savard blocks have won the Habs many a game, late and defending the lead.  Takes some serious balls to know the gap is too big and still stand in front on an Ovie one timer.

Savard has proven to be much better than I’d personally anticipated in his all

around game.  

38 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Pfft, what a bs thing To say about an NHL calibre player.

additionally, when it comes to taking abuse/blocking shots:

If it isn’t Savard doing it, it is going to be Guhle even more so than he already has to.

He will be the one on IR and is far too valuable to be taking on that primary penalty kill, shot block load.

Mattheson is not that type of player (he does block a decent amount of shots). you need a vet that can lead the way in that regard and defend a third period onslaught.

Every winner has dmen sacrificing themselves for the team, acting like it isn’t essential is ignorant.  Some players are better than others at understanding the angles/lanes and how to make themselves big, it is a skill set in its own.  Savard blocks have won the Habs many a game, late and defending the lead.  Takes some serious balls to know the gap is too big and still stand in front on an Ovie one timer.

Savard has proven to be much better than I’d personally anticipated in his all

around game.  

I don't like how he plays. that's all

This reminds me a little bit of the debate over Chiarot. A lot of us dismissed Chiarot as a plumber, but other GMs sure didn't. He was similarly injury-prone due to his grinding style. And he fetched a nice return.

Savard isn't quite at that level, but he's the same type of player: a veteran warrior who pays the price and is defensively sound. GMs LOVE that type of player, especially when loading up for a long playoff grind. 

I've appreciated having him as a mentor to the young D, but the blueline is, like the song says, getting mighty crowded. There comes a time to cut the cord and maximize return.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

You are being far too cruel for a guy who has been a solid defensive NHL defensemen. He also leads by example and is a good mentor, you can ask Guhle about him. Although not flashy offensively he did score 36 points one year. If this was the last year of his contract I think he would be highly sought after at the deadline. 

• Like 1

Like Chiarot, If you get a huge offer for him with 1.5 years left on his contract you take it.  But you don't NEED to sell him this year, and if that offer doesn't come, you can keep him for a summer trade, or for next year's trade deadline. 

Let's evaluate the position.  On the Right side, Barron and Kovacevic are worthy of their ice time. 

Mailloux is not NHL ready. 

Reinbacher is in Switzerland and not really an option to play in the NHL this season.  He's also not ready, and there is no need to rush him. 

Harris is versatile and can play right or left and is currently injured. 

Lindstrom is not very good and he really should be back in Laval. 

So Savard is both a mentor to young kids and not taking up a spot that a young kid would be playing this season.  There is no absolute need to get him off the roster.  Of course if someone overpays, you move him.  But there is little to no urgency to make a move during this season.  He's not keeping anyone worthy out of the lineup and there is time to get a good deal here. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Like Chiarot, If you get a huge offer for him with 1.5 years left on his contract you take it.  But you don't NEED to sell him this year, and if that offer doesn't come, you can keep him for a summer trade, or for next year's trade deadline. 

Let's evaluate the position.  On the Right side, Barron and Kovacevic are worthy of their ice time. 

Mailloux is not NHL ready. 

Reinbacher is in Switzerland and not really an option to play in the NHL this season.  He's also not ready, and there is no need to rush him. 

Harris is versatile and can play right or left and is currently injured. 

Lindstrom is not very good and he really should be back in Laval. 

So Savard is both a mentor to young kids and not taking up a spot that a young kid would be playing this season.  There is no absolute need to get him off the roster.  Of course if someone overpays, you move him.  But there is little to no urgency to make a move during this season.  He's not keeping anyone worthy out of the lineup and there is time to get a good deal here. 

Good analysis. I agree. He'll be traded at the deadline, of course; the only question is which deadline - this year or next. And it's true, next year might make more sense for many reasons.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are being far too cruel for a guy who has been a solid defensive NHL defensemen. He also leads by example and is a good mentor, you can ask Guhle about him. Although not flashy offensively he did score 36 points one year. If this was the last year of his contract I think he would be highly sought after at the deadline. 

Hal Gill mentored PK but ran his term withthe Habs. I dislike how he plays goalie in front on the net, especially when he is caught out of position which was happening a lot early this season.

He has value to the team, I agree, I just don't like that type of player. With everyone healthy next year, I do not see where he fits on the team as it is projecting.

And the fact that he has missed so many games makes wonder if he is really missed.

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Hal Gill mentored PK but ran his term withthe Habs. I dislike how he plays goalie in front on the net, especially when he is caught out of position which was happening a lot early this season.

He has value to the team, I agree, I just don't like that type of player. With everyone healthy next year, I do not see where he fits on the team as it is projecting.

And the fact that he has missed so many games makes wonder if he is really missed.

I agree that he doesn't have a long term future. It's always hard to quantify how much a player is missed when they are injured. I think the Dach injury really hurt the Habs offense but hard to say how much. It really messed up the lines.  

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree that he doesn't have a long term future. It's always hard to quantify how much a player is missed when they are injured. I think the Dach injury really hurt the Habs offense but hard to say how much. It really messed up the lines.  

exactly, it is obvious to gauge the impact of Dach being injured. Savard’s absence has not been missed given the performance of the team 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Yes, the team has just been tearing it up since he got hurt, only giving up 3.5goals/game.:devil:

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

exactly, it is obvious to gauge the impact of Dach being injured. Savard’s absence has not been missed given the performance of the team 

His replacement, Lindstrom, is analytically a top-5 worst defenceman in the NHL. 

Savard isn't my favourite player, but to say he has been replaced and the team isn't missing him, is ignoring obvious evidence.