WJC 2024 discussion thread

alfredoh2009

Hutson 1g+1a including the 6-5 OT winner; Beck 1a and 2 minutes for charging.

Fowler 14 saves on 16 shots, first 29 minutes of the game. (Canadian goaltenders combined for only 22 saves on 28 shots, will need to do better than that in the tournament.)

I apologize if this is posted and I’ve missed it - but -

does anyone know how I can watch the games in the US? 

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

I apologize if this is posted and I’ve missed it - but -

does anyone know how I can watch the games in the US? 

NHL Network is the US broadcaster.  Their schedule is here: https://www.sportsvideo.org/2023/12/21/nhl-network-announces-2024-iihf-world-junior-championship-broadcast-schedule-and-on-site-coverage-from-the-2024-discover-nhl-winter-classic/

On 12/23/2023 at 3:22 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Beck knows better, definitely a learning opportunity.  Thank god it was just an exhibition game, good time to learn. 

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Out of all players on Team Canada it is Owen that should damn well know Lane is awesome.  After all, Owen is aware that Lane is above him on the Habs prospects depth chart.   

In Owen's defense though he didn't have control of the puck so Lane didn't steal it from him.  However, Owen definitely should have have been more careful and been in control of the puck - especially when it was Lane who had the puck.  When I 1st saw it I thought Lane recovered the puck with the blade of his stick, but the camera angle from the end boards showed that Lane did a nice goalie like paddle down move and dragged the shaft of his stick along the ice to recover the lose puck.  

Beck has played with Lane for what like 3-4 days at a summer rookie camp.  Thats about it.

Anyone who came up in the American system or is playing College hockey (like Lane's teammate Celebrini) will know him best.

Meanwhile Beck knows the GTA players best.  

Just being habs picks, they havent spent much time together yet.

34 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I dislike how the IIHF despises physical play. Checking is part of hockey you weenies 

Don't entirely disagree ... but (a) their tournament, their rules and (b) I would rather err on the side of protecting players, especially teenagers, than letting someone "get away with one".

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't entirely disagree ... but (a) their tournament, their rules and (b) I would rather err on the side of protecting players, especially teenagers, than letting someone "get away with one".

Fair enough. 

There is also a lot less physical play due to the big ice but there is a noticeable lack of net battles and board battles. 

Beck looked fine and I’m looking forward to seeing Hutson 

I-M-O this must be at least a game suspension, ideally more.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Mesar 2a

Hutson 1a

Mesar 18:01 TOI

Hutson 22:56

Much better ice time than what Beck's third line got, in spite of scoring two of the three goals (excluding the two empty-netters).

49 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He got a one-game suspension.

Notably, he got a suspension in last year's U18 world championship as well, for another ugly check from behind.

It seems that he did not learn anything from that one.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Notably, he got a suspension in last year's U18 world championship as well, for another ugly check from behind.

It seems that he did not learn anything from that one.

If so (Google was no help in confirming it) then I-M-O it should have been at least two games, in addition to the game in which the recent incident took place. and from which he was expelled after 25 seconds.