2024 NHL Entry Draft

I know not everyone is a fan of McCagg, shares his top 10 list. He says it's the deepest defense crop he has ever seen. He doesn't have Eiserman, Helenius or Catton in the top 10, he says it's more like a top 13 or 14 this year. 

Last years draft;

Perreault 5'11" 165, didnt get picked till 23rd by Rangers. 46pts in 28games as freshman, too early to say he should of gone higher, or maybe his game (skating?) wont translate to the NHL?

His linemate Ryan Leonard was one i would of been happy to of seen Habs pick and went 8th to Caps; also doing pretty well as freshman, with 38pts in 28games.

(Caufield had 36pts-36games/Newhook 42pts 34gms as freshman)

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I remember Swedish experts saying Buium looked better than Hutson in a few games in the world juniors.

And that shouldn't be too surprising as Buium is ranked top 10 on many lists while Hutson was drafted 62. 

Berkly Catton seems an nice offensive option in top 10 or so eh? 39g in 52gms this year.

2023-24 6.png Spokane Chiefs WHL 52 39 47 86     |

Ranked #6 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #8 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #10 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #13 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #2 by THN/FERRARI
Ranked #6 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #9 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #7 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #5 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #8 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #9 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #9 by SPORTSNET/COSENTINO
Ranked #6 by SPORTSNET/BUKALA
Ranked #8 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #3 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #5 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #4 by SMAHT SCOUTING

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Berkly Catton seems an nice offensive option in top 10 or so eh? 39g in 52gms this year.

2023-24 6.png Spokane Chiefs WHL 52 39 47 86     |

Ranked #6 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #8 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #10 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #13 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #2 by THN/FERRARI
Ranked #6 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #9 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #7 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #5 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #8 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #9 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #9 by SPORTSNET/COSENTINO
Ranked #6 by SPORTSNET/BUKALA
Ranked #8 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #3 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #5 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #4 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Throwing out NHL Central Scouting (I wish Elite Prospects would omit them from their list of rankings), and his highest and lowest ranking, he averages out to 7th ... so he is potentially right in the Habs wheelhouse ... not great size ... but with time to maybe grow and certainly to fill out, not problematic size by any means ... 5th in points and tied for 4th for goals in WHL ... plays centre ... obviously depending on where the Habs' draft, he would be a good option.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Throwing out NHL Central Scouting (I wish Elite Prospects would omit them from their list of rankings), and his highest and lowest ranking, he averages out to 7th ... so he is potentially right in the Habs wheelhouse ... not great size ... but with time to maybe grow and certainly to fill out, not problematic size by any means ... 5th in points and tied for 4th for goals in WHL ... plays centre ... obviously depending on where the Habs' draft, he would be a good option.

Yup, it seems around 7 is where the Habs will be drafting and Catton will be considered. He is slight of build but so is Elias Petterson who he reminds me of somewhat. Very talented. 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2024-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Berkly-Catton

Commandant, what are your thoughts on Catton? I know you like Helenius better. 

I was hoping the Habs would draft 5 or maybe 6 and Lindstrom would slide down but Arizona is tanking hard as usual and Ottawa loses back to back to Anaheim and Chicago (WTF??) so they seem determined to finish below the Habs. 

It seems like the Habs will draft 7-8 (things could change) so that seems to be Catton/Helenius territory but again I am certainly no pro scout and things could change. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Commandant, what are your thoughts on Catton? I know you like Helenius better. 

I was hoping the Habs would draft 5 or maybe 6 and Lindstrom would slide down but Arizona is tanking hard as usual and Ottawa loses back to back to Anaheim and Chicago (WTF??) so they seem determined to finish below the Habs. 

It seems like the Habs will draft 7-8 (things could change) so that seems to be Catton/Helenius territory but again I am certainly no pro scout and things could change. 

I'm not liking that the Sens haven't raised in the standings either.  I have no idea how the Sens managed to beat the Habs twice the other week but still haven't managed to gain any points and remain 3 games back.  Like you say Arizona is also being a problem but they're not quite as important because they're in another division.  I don't want to see either team draft higher than the Habs. 

The good news is that the Sabers seemed to have caught the Habs.  The Sens and Sabers have had enough high draft picks lately so the Habs basically need to draft higher than them.  That's especially true if Lindstrom is still available - it'd suck if a div rival ends up with him.  I'm thinking that would be a worst case scenario.  

10 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm not liking that the Sens haven't raised in the standings either.  I have no idea how the Sens managed to beat the Habs twice the other week but still haven't managed to gain any points and remain 3 games back.  Like you say Arizona is also being a problem but they're not quite as important because they're in another division.  I don't want to see either team draft higher than the Habs. 

The good news is that the Sabers seemed to have caught the Habs.  The Sens and Sabers have had enough high draft picks lately so the Habs basically need to draft higher than them.  That's especially true if Lindstrom is still available - it'd suck if a div rival ends up with him.  I'm thinking that would be a worst case scenario.  

Lottery 🤞

14 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Sens and Sabers have had enough high draft picks lately so the Habs basically need to draft higher than them.  That's especially true if Lindstrom is still available - it'd suck if a div rival ends up with him.  I'm thinking that would be a worst case scenario.  

Agree 100%, Lindstrom is the guy I would love to see the Habs get (assuming we don't win the lottery and have a chance at Celebrini) but I think he is almost for sure gone in the top 5. 

56 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree 100%, Lindstrom is the guy I would love to see the Habs get (assuming we don't win the lottery and have a chance at Celebrini) but I think he is almost for sure gone in the top 5. 

Wouldnt be for a Demidov or maybe big d-man Dickenson (56pts in 54games)? Both seem to have some offense in their games.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Probably gone in the top 2, 3 at the latest. Hard to pass over a big physical centre with a nose for the net.

We still have a decent shot at the #5 slot if Ottawa and Arizona get their act together.

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Wouldnt be for a Demidov or maybe big d-man Dickenson (56pts in 54games)? Both seem to have some offense in their games.

Both Demidov and Dickenson are supposed to be terrific. Habs will get a good player almost for sure where they draft. I am just partial to big, tough, mean and most importantly very skilled centers as they are so hard to get. I would love to get a Ryan Getzlaff type to compliment Suzuki. 

6 minutes ago, Neech said:

Probably gone in the top 2, 3 at the latest. Hard to pass over a big physical centre with a nose for the net.

I agree, they are hard to pass over but there are also some outstanding defensemen available and stud defensemen who can log a lot of minutes and anchor a defense are also hard to pass over so there is a chance Lindstrom could fall to 5 or 6.  Probably a small chance he falls that far. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, they are hard to pass over but there are also some outstanding defensemen available and stud defensemen who can log a lot of minutes and anchor a defense are also hard to pass over so there is a chance Lindstrom could fall to 5 or 6.  Probably a small chance he falls that far. 

There's also the Russian factor working against a few of the top D men (as well as Demidov), so a big Canadian C is a safer pick.

If we somehow win the lottery and get a top 2 pick I'll be over the moon. 

1 hour ago, Neech said:

There's also the Russian factor working against a few of the top D men (as well as Demidov), so a big Canadian C is a safer pick.

Not sure if Habs Mgmt are anti-russian, just were anti-Michkov and/or really liked Reinbacher?:spamafote:

44 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure if Habs Mgmt are anti-russian, just were anti-Michkov and/or really liked Reinbacher?:spamafote:

They did draft two Russians in last year's draft class so I'm not sure about the anti-Russian part.  They really seemed to like Reinbacher based on the offers they reportedly declined and based on the video they released, also seemed to be a bit risk-averse when it came to Michkov.

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, I also believe that his talent and size should put him in the top 5 but surprisingly 3 scouts have him at 10 or higher.  Oddly, Craig Button is 1 of them and I don't understand that.   

I'm surprised with Tiggy's rank too because his shot seems to be in the top 5 in this draft.  Sure, some of the others F's ranked ahead of him have more assists but he has better pedigree.  Even tough he is currently 15th or 16th I think Tiggy will continue to rise in rank and he will likely have a better career than numerous of the F's that are currently ranked ahead of him.  I think if he's drafted where he is currently ranked the team that picks him will get a hell of a deal.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

With all the d-men in this draft it will be interesting to see what happens.  Numerous teams have drafted fairly high in the last several drafts who have already taken forwards so they might opt to take dmen this year.  ex:  the Ducks have 3 or 4 F they drafted fairly high so there is a good chance they take 1 of the dmen, and same with SJ and CBJ.  

26 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yes, I also believe that his talent and size should put him in the top 5 but surprisingly 3 scouts have him at 10 or higher.  Oddly, Craig Button is 1 of them and I don't understand that.   

I'm surprised with Tiggy's rank too because his shot seems to be in the top 5 in this draft.  Sure, some of the others F's ranked ahead of him have more assists but he has better pedigree.  Even tough he is currently 15th or 16th I think Tiggy will continue to rise in rank and he will likely have a better career than numerous of the F's that are currently ranked ahead of him.  I think if he's drafted where he is currently ranked the team that picks him will get a hell of a deal.

With all the d-men in this draft it will be interesting to see what happens.  Numerous teams have drafted fairly high in the last several drafts who have already taken forwards so they might opt to take dmen this year.  ex:  the Ducks have 3 or 4 F they drafted fairly high so there is a good chance they take 1 of the dmen, and same with SJ and CBJ.  

Yes, Button had him at 10, Helenius at 6 and Eiserman at 2 in January. I think it shows that it's a pretty strong group and rankings could change quickly as some guys develop and others flatline. A lot can happen during the course of the season. 

Jasome Iginla was drafted 11th and was such a stud so I think his son will likely go higher than expected just based on pedigree like you said. 

You are absolutely right that the teams at the bottom (same bottom 4 this year) took forwards last year so they could opt for a dman this time around. Habs were the 1st team to take a dman last year. 

I think this draft is shaping up to be a pretty good one. I remember reading a lot of comments from media last year that said that the 2023 draft was going to be way better than 2024 but you never really know that as you don't really know how some guys will progress. McCagg said the top 10 this year is as good as he has ever seen.