2024 NHL Entry Draft

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Columbus is now only 6 points behind the Habs with 2 games in hand. They play Buffalo tonight. I hope the game goes into overtime. 

should we start a “worst finish for Celebrini” thread? 

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

should we start a “worst finish for Celebrini” thread? 

The Habs won't get Celebrini unless they win the lottery (somewhat unrealistic).  My hope is that they draft 4-6 (somewhat realistic) and they get Lindstrom.  I don't think we need another thread but let's keep hoping for some Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus wins. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Habs won't get Celebrini unless they win the lottery (somewhat unrealistic).  My hope is that they draft 4-6 (somewhat realistic) and they get Lindstrom.  I don't think we need another thread but let's keep hoping for some Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus wins. 

Yes 4-6 is realistic but who knows what a twenty game losing streak would do for us!

49 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yes 4-6 is realistic but who knows what a twenty game losing streak would do for us!

that’s the spirit !

50 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

that’s the spirit !

”Bottom finish for Celebrini “

53 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wouldn't put it past the 6 teams below us to match it.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

A 20 game losing streak might destroy the confidence of some young players so maybe a couple of 8 game losing streaks might do the trick. LOL

I think Cole Eiserman is definitely one of the wild cards in this draft.  A year ago he was mentioned as going 1-2 with Celebrini but his stock has fallen a bit. The guy can sure score though and with an Aug 29th birthday he is barely old enough for the draft so he has a little more time to mature and develop.  It will be interesting to see where he goes. 

Cole Eiserman | Cole Eiserman Profile | Cole Eiserman Scouting Report 2024 (mynhldraft.com)

2 interesting prospects doing pretty well;

Catton is 5th in WHL scoring, 43g in 56 games

Parekh is 6th in OHL scoring; 81pts as a d-man.

image.png

image.png

Here is a question. Let's say the Flames go on a bit of a run and make the playoffs and maybe win the first round (unlikely but possible) and end up drafting in the 20-22 range.  Do you take the pick this year or wait until next year and hope for a better one? 

Now my first gut reaction is to say wait but if the Flames are rebuilding and draft bottom 10 next year and the Panthers have an excellent year (they are a really good team) and draft outside the bottom 10 then the Habs get the Panthers pick. 

If they both draft outside the top 10 next year then the Habs get the better of the 2 picks. A lot to think about. Which draft year is stronger?  etc.  I think waiting is better but it's not a slam dunk. 

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Here is a question. Let's say the Flames go on a bit of a run and make the playoffs and maybe win the first round (unlikely but possible) and end up drafting in the 20-22 range.  Do you take the pick this year or wait until next year and hope for a better one? 

Now my first gut reaction is to say wait but if the Flames are rebuilding and draft bottom 10 next year and the Panthers have an excellent year (they are a really good team) and draft outside the bottom 10 then the Habs get the Panthers pick. 

If they both draft outside the top 10 next year then the Habs get the better of the 2 picks. A lot to think about. Which draft year is stronger?  etc.  I think waiting is better but it's not a slam dunk. 

if HughGort plan is to build a team that can compete in the mid-term (3-4 years) then a 20+ first rounder this year is preferable to something next year. This year, at the draft, picks can be bundled to trade higher or packaged with players on boat anchor contracts.

I am hoping the Habs can be a bubble team next year and fight their way into the playoffs. If healthy, given how key prospects have developed, they should be able to do that. For that reason, I would like the bulk of drafting for the rebuild to be done sooner than later

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

if HughGort plan is to build a team that can compete in the mid-term (3-4 years) then a 20+ first rounder this year is preferable to something next year. This year, at the draft, picks can be bundled to trade higher or packaged with players on boat anchor contracts.

I am hoping the Habs can be a bubble team next year and fight their way into the playoffs. If healthy, given how key prospects have developed, they should be able to do that. For that reason, I would like the bulk of drafting for the rebuild to be done sooner than later

Fair point. I like the bundled together to move up.  Not interested at this point to use high draft picks to get rid of bad contracts. Maybe down the road a bit further, we don't need a lot of cap space yet, let time decay the negative value they have for now until maybe a buyout makes sense. 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

First round wins dont reset playoff seeding... they'd still be 17-20 even if they sneak in.

You have to win 2 rounds (make conference final) to be pushed to the back of draft seeding.

I also dont think the pick is the Habs choice between this year or next.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:49 PM, Commandant said:

Age is by far the biggest thing you are missing in comparing 19 year olds to 17 year olds.  Its so immense that it makes a dach/Florian comparison meaningless.

What Dach was doing at 17 made him a third overall pick.  Florian could barely crack juniors, would be passed over in the draft and it would take anothet year to be a 4th rounder.

They just arent the same caliber of prospect and pretending they are just says you dont understand prospects.

My cousin's son Brett Leason is a good example of this. He was always slow to develope in each league that he played, but his final year in the dub, he lit it up. Was drafted mid second round by the caps. Now he is a 4th liner in Anaheim.  He may ha e a career, because he's not bad away from the puck, but if you saw his last year with the raiders, you'd mistakenly project him as the next Nash. Classic example of men against boys.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

First round wins dont reset playoff seeding... they'd still be 17-20 even if they sneak in.

You have to win 2 rounds (make conference final) to be pushed to the back of draft seeding.

Thanks for the clarification. The odds of Calgary making the playoffs and winning 2 rounds is even smaller, most likely that pick is next year but it would be an interesting decision if that pick was 20-22. 

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

My cousin's son Brett Leason is a good example of this. He was always slow to develope in each league that he played, but his final year in the dub, he lit it up. Was drafted mid second round by the caps. Now he is a 4th liner in Anaheim.  He may ha e a career, because he's not bad away from the puck, but if you saw his last year with the raiders, you'd mistakenly project him as the next Nash. Classic example of men against boys.

Yeah, i hope he does even better for your cousin, but he looks like a guy who will be a 4th liner with maybe a small chance of being a third liner.  Still even making the NHL for a single game, is very hard so good for him

Hes 24 now so he doesnt have much growth left, likely.

8 hours ago, DON said:

2 interesting prospects doing pretty well;

Catton is 5th in WHL scoring, 43g in 56 games

Parekh is 6th in OHL scoring; 81pts as a d-man.

image.png

image.png

Catton, I have seen him play twice. He reminds me of Joe Sakic. And has speed.

He looks up to Jack Hughes style of game.

Interesting option , he ' should ' be available when Habs select. Very skilled.

Here is a mock draft as of now, having him going to Canadiens at 6.

Lindstrom has been my preference depending on final draft order.

Of course wishful thinking is a Lottery win 😍Screenshot_20240226_003459_Instagram.jpg