Game #43: Avalanche at Canadiens, 15 January, 7 PM

tomh009

Another playoff team comes to the Bell Centre for a visit.

usa_today_19666889.0.jpg

Projected lines:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky

RHP - Evans - Gallagher

Roy - Monahan - Armia

Pezzetta - Stephens - Ylonen

Matheson - Guhle

Struble - Savard

Harris - Kovacevic

Allen

Primeau

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #43: Avalanche at Canadiens, 15 January, 7 PM

RHP - Evans/Monahan - Gallagher 

They looked great last game and so far look great again tonight. 

Really tenacious board work is leading to scoring opportunities. 

Best Gallagher I’ve seen in a while 

Woot Slafkovsky scores as I’m posting this 

23 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That Evans trip was overt and right in front of the ref. WTF was that? At least RHP scored right after 

Same with the hold on suzuki.  Grabbed his sweater and was yanking on it hard. Right in front of the ref.

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Nice effort by Armia on the game winner. If a contender was smart they would grab him at the trade deadline. 

I hope the OTT scouts were watching, so that my trade proposal happens :P

Fun game, Habs bent but didn't break; nice to see them punching above their weight.

Go Habs Go!

Slafkovski 1g 6 shots:1banana:

Suzuki 4 shots, 65.7% faceoffs

CC 1g 3 shots

Struble 19:25 4 shots 

Roy 9:33 1 shot

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Armia now has 7 goals in 27 games, that's a 21 goal pace over 82 games. Maybe the time in Laval did him some good and he has finally figured it out. 

If I had a dollar for every time someone brought up that Armia is on a 20 goal pace, I’d be making more more than he is🙄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If I had a dollar for every time someone brought up that Armia is on a 20 goal pace, I’d be making more more than he is🙄

LOL, just having a really optimistic evening. I hear you. Armia is one of those players that teases you.  Big, strong, good skater, could never really put it together for long stretches or got hurt.  Maybe, just maybe at the age of 30 he will turn the corner??   Or maybe he will get hurt next game. 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

his shooting percentage is way too high, he will revert back to normal. But he is producing more than other forwards in similar disappointing seasons.

one thing is for certain, he is more combative on ice and just dominant in defensive roles

image.png

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

his shooting percentage is way too high, he will revert back to normal. But he is producing more than other forwards in similar disappointing seasons.

one thing is for certain, he is more combative on ice and just dominant in defensive roles

image.png

Maybe someone looking for playoff depth will toss us a late pick for Armia. 

Man, would that be great 👍 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe someone looking for playoff depth will toss us a late pick for Armia. 

Man, would that be great 👍 

It would be great and if he didn't have another year on his contract it would be possible if the Habs retained 50%.  BUT that extra year means we will have to wait until next year to move him. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It would be great and if he didn't have another year on his contract it would be possible if the Habs retained 50%.  BUT that extra year means we will have to wait until next year to move him. 

I think he was affected by COVID and/or concussions for a while. I think he is healthy again and playing as well as he was playing in his playoff hot-streak. He would be a great complement to a scoring-heavy team, like Eller was fro WSH

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hahaha, too true, mon ami.

Armia is playing well, however - defensively and on the PK. He’d be a useful deadline acquisition for some contender if his salary were not so absurd.

I watched that game via PVR and was really struck by how excellent our #1 line was. Frankly, it was as good as the MacKinnon line - and may evolve into one of the NHL’s dominant lines if CC can find his scoring groove.

The way I saw this game was that the Avs completely, laughably dominated us almost every time the #1 trio was not out there. Nonetheless, we eked out an improbable win, which is always nice.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I watched that game via PVR and was really struck by how excellent our #1 line was. Frankly, it was as good as the MacKinnon line - and may evolve into one of the NHL’s dominant lines if CC can find his scoring groove.

The way I saw this game was that the Avs completely, laughably dominated us almost every time the #1 trio was not out there. Nonetheless, we eked out an improbably win, which is always nice.

I only saw bits of the game, but the advanced stats say that the #1 line indeed held its own (about 50% xGF)--but the fourth line also outworked the Avs' fourth line. Our second and third lines were badly outmatched, though. I suppose that this is what we get for having our entire second line on IR ...

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Armia is playing well, however - defensively and on the PK. He’d be a useful deadline acquisition for some contender if his salary were not so absurd.

At TDL, on an expiring contract, it might actually be OK as there is only 25% left to the season anyway. But he's still got another year left, so that doesn't apply now.

In the meantime, I'll note that his seven goals are actually all since he returned from his Laval stint, so 0.33 goals/game! 😂