Game #45: Canadiens at Senators, 18 January, 7 PM

tomh009

After a hard-fought victory in New Jersey, the Habs head to Ottawa for a second game of a back-to-back. Will they take the Senators seriously enough or will it be a San Jose-style letdown?

image.jpg

We'll be looking forward to the new 14 to pot a goal or two tonight.

Habs' lines:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsku

RHP - Evans - Gallagher

Roy - Monahan - Armia

Pezzetta - Stephens - Ylonen

Guhle - Matheson

Struble - Savard

Harris - Barron

Primeau

Allen

Primeau in net tonight.

I want lots of goals from our first line. They are on the cusp of taking a step up to consistent goal production I think. My man Slafkovsky needs a multi goal night. 

Still the Sens always give us trouble no matter how crappy they are. 

Go Habs Go 

We are only 4 points behind Tampa and 6 behind the leafs. 

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I assume you're talking about the Sens 😉 And yes, I entirely agree

Oh completely.... they are a stain on the league.

I doubt there will be a comeback, especially being the second game in a back-to-back.  There’s also no way the score should be this close.

if Montreal even pulls a point out of this it will be a miracle.

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I doubt there will be a comeback, especially being the second game in a back-to-back.  There’s also no way the score should be this close.

Just think, if the puck didn't bounce over Slafkovsky's stick with the open net off the Monahan post, it'd somehow be 2-1 Montreal right now.  (Since Tkachuk's goal wouldn't have happened five seconds later.)

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We look like garbage tonight 

That's a fair assessment.  Between Montreal not faring well against Ottawa lately and being dreadful in back-to-backs, this isn't a shocking outcome.

The Habs have been playing .500 all season. I would not be surprised they win in BOS

Korpisalo was shaky and the Habs hit a few posts that would have started a SENS cave-in

I have not see the SENS press lake that all game; it was good game for them a poor goaltending by Primeau 

Slaf and Caufield did well. The RHP-Evans-Gallagher were good too. I don’t remember how any of the other played 

Yeap, this is a good summary:

https://www.habsworld.net/2024/01/10-thoughts-senators-bury-canadiens/

thanks or calling out Caufield for cheating. It drives me crazy that the media and most fans don’t call him out for that more often.

Whining to hear himself whine i guess?

This writer tends to spout typical knee-jerk reaction stuff.

How can they lose to SJ and Sens!

WELL, it isnt rocket science, i think needs to just look at their roster, they also are a very weak team. Maybe is why they look like crap once in a while. 

Bottom Six Minutes: Embarrassing effort sinks Habs in Ottawa (habseyesontheprize.com)

21 hours ago, Commandant said:

13-2 in shots and 2-0 in goals.

I stand by what i said last night, not close to a playoff team.  Too inconsistent.

Inconsistent indeed, beating the Avs and losing to the Sens. Some of that is more likely than in the past decades given the level of parity, but, still ...

So what is it, I was thinking. It wasn't two or three players having a bad night, it really seemed more like a team (lack of) effort. Back to back, yes, and that probably matters more for the top line than for others, with Suzuki et al playing 20 minutes on two consecutive nights. That line was down to the 25% range for xGF, which is pretty grim. Does St-Louis need to do some load management on this line? Armia-Monahan-Roy were around 70% (yes, weaker opposition) but they play significantly fewer minutes.

Overall, though, as ugly as the score was, the Habs actually had chances. The xG for the game was 3.87 (Ottawa) to 2.62, not a blowout by any means. Shots were 37-23, so a simil;ar ratio. But a few unlucky bounces for the Habs, and not so stellar goaltending (.861, -1.39 GSAx) did not help, and we ended up at 6-2.

And the night before ... xG was again for the opposition, with NJ expected to score 3.87 (identical to last night!) and the Habs 2.99--but on that night Montembeault saved all but two. So, goaltending definitely a factor.

So, apart from the Habs maybe being tired and playing their third-string goalie, what else explains this? The Senators very much looked like they were psyched up for this game and raring to go, and the Habs were not. How much of this is this mental preparation?

I have many questions, no real answers. Yes, we need consistency, but what is key to that? How can they become consistent? Is this a coaching issue more than anything?

I don't know that its a coaching issue. 

I think its two things.... 1 lots of young players who need to learn to be consistent in the league.  Inconsistency is the hallmark of the young player. 

2. This roster is just not that good, its not close to a playoff team as some have claimed.  The fact they are so close is a bit of luck and a bit of a credit to the coaching staff right now. I just think the team lacks depth, there is one line and a bunch of third and fourth liners and youngsters. 

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't know that its a coaching issue. 

I think its two things.... 1 lots of young players who need to learn to be consistent in the league.  Inconsistency is the hallmark of the young player. 

2. This roster is just not that good, its not close to a playoff team as some have claimed.  The fact they are so close is a bit of luck and a bit of a credit to the coaching staff right now. I just think the team lacks depth, there is one line and a bunch of third and fourth liners and youngsters. 

As we have discussed (I certainly have), the injury to Dach robbed them of a chance at a very good 2nd line.  I wonder just how much a healthy Dach could have helped them. Hopefully we find out next year but you are right, the current team is one line and a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners. 

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

As we have discussed (I certainly have), the injury to Dach robbed them of a chance at a very good 2nd line.  I wonder just how much a healthy Dach could have helped them. 

I think with zero injuries, this team would still be pretty weak group and a non-playoff team.

Have 1 top-4 d-man at present and top Hab forward (with or without Dach-Newhook) is 37th in scoring.

Roster is improving, but still bottom 3rd of league, no matter what St Louis does or dosent try.