Game #46 - Canadiens vs Bruins

GHT120

41 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slafkovsky has been terrible and he is not alone. Struble’s worst performance since joining the Habs. 

This is a complete team failure. The wheels have come off the bus. 

Ha! That's the headline for tonight's 10 Thoughts!

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sheesh, they beat Colorado, the Rangers, win in New Jersey, lose in OT to Edmonton and now the world is falling apart because of 1 game. Weren't we expecting some nights like this with a young team?

Yeah, it's still the same team. Our young defence has been struggling recently, though, and the Bruins pounced on those defensive issues. Montembeault didn't have a great game but he was really hung out to dry.

The sky has not fallen, but some work is clearly needed.

Habs Martin St-Louis: "every now and then this League will humble you - that's kinda what happened to our team in the 3rd period - but that OK. Maybe this is a period that sends us to a higher place; we'll learn from this..."

Gotta love our coach - take us to that higher place Marty

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, it's still the same team. Our young defence has been struggling recently, though, and the Bruins pounced on those defensive issues. Montembeault didn't have a great game but he was really hung out to dry.

The sky has not fallen, but some work is clearly needed.

No the sky hasnt fallen.  This is who they are and Boston is just better right now.  

Im not overly concerned by this, I guess its cause I didnt see them as a playoff contender yet, so the Sens/Bruins games are not a setback from where I had them.

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Kovacevic's struggles seem really to have exposed the D. With him out - and I agree that he was struggling badly, so it's not just his absence but his regression - our D suddenly looks like a bunch of rookies brought up too soon. It doesn't help that Struble also seems to be regressing after his impressive start.

Mid-year fatigue, which is often an issue with young players, may also be relevant. Most of these guys were injured last season and do not have experience with the meat-grinder of a full NHL season.

Just think, three games ago people on this board were talking about us as a borderline playoff team...

I don’t get the constant playoff talk everytime we string a few wins together. We are not close to be being a playoff team. East has been lousy and our loser points make it seem we are closer to a wildcard than we actually will be in another month.

I said at the start of this year, we don’t have the D to be a playoff team, and I haven’t seen anything to change my mind. The D has score more than I thought they would have (while the forwards have scored less than I thought they would). Unless Hutson and Reinbacher suddenly are suddenly playing like Makar and Seider in their first years, we probably aren’t a playoff team next year either.

25-26 is the year we should be targeting for the playoffs. 

we have a young team with an extremely young D. It’s going to take time. Wifi isn’t going to make us better, and either is Kovacavec.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No the sky hasnt fallen.  This is who they are and Boston is just better right now.  

Im not overly concerned by this, I guess its cause I didnt see them as a playoff contender yet, so the Sens/Bruins games are not a setback from where I had them.

100% agree. Only thing that surprises me is that we are ahead of the Sens on the standings.

The losses are expected and considering the loss of Dach, the team is doing better than I expected. I watch for development. It's been great watching Slafkovsky improve and start to find his game. I just don't like seeing Ghule play the right side. It's good to see he can handle it, and I suppose you could argue that he is developing by playing rd. Would still rather see him excel at LD than hold his own at RD. As far as wanting a strategic associate coach, I don't think that's a sky is falling ask. 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t get the constant playoff talk everytime we string a few wins together. We are not close to be being a playoff team. East has been lousy and our loser points make it seem we are closer to a wildcard than we actually will be in another month.

I said at the start of this year, we don’t have the D to be a playoff team, and I haven’t seen anything to change my mind. The D has score more than I thought they would have (while the forwards have scored less than I thought they would). Unless Hutson and Reinbacher suddenly are suddenly playing like Makar and Seider in their first years, we probably aren’t a playoff team next year either.

25-26 is the year we should be targeting for the playoffs. 

we have a young team with an extremely young D. It’s going to take time. Wifi isn’t going to make us better, and either is Kovacavec.

I think we are confusing playoff team with a contender team. 

If our injuries weren’t so severe our second line would be

Newhook - Dach - Monahan 

Habs are about to enter bubble status, climbing out of bottom feeder status is what I’m saying, not that we are ready to compete. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that was ugly last night in Boston, but with a young team, it is expected. I don't think anyone really thought the Habs would be making the playoffs this year. As long as there is some kind of progression (compared to last year) I think everything will be fine!

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we are confusing playoff team with a WILDCARD contender team. 

Made a minor edit above ... and I am not certain they are really even that ... YET ... I think some get excited by the previously cited 6-6-3 record against top teams (I didn't verify that) and start to believe/hope that is what the team "really is" ... accepting that the Habs play up and down to their competition without factoring in that other teams do the same.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we are confusing playoff team with a contender team. 

If our injuries weren’t so severe our second line would be

Newhook - Dach - Monahan 

Habs are about to enter bubble status, climbing out of bottom feeder status is what I’m saying, not that we are ready to compete. 

We are not a playoff team even with a better second line. Our D is still learning to play. While I think Dach looked like he eas ready to take a big step forward, we don’t know if Newhook is a 2nd or 3rd liner. While we would have been better, I don’t think we’d even be a real bubble team by we get to games 70-82.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

We are in the low 40% for team xG%.  We are still a bottom ten team in the league and some OT points and luck in goaltending doesnt really change that.

100% agree. This year and next I’m just looking for an increase in production from Suzuki, Caufield, and Slafkovsky to play better. I really thought Suzuki was going to get over 80 points and Caufield over 40 goals. I also see this year and next as a time to get a better read on our young D. Is Guhle trending to be a top pairing, or middle pairing? Can Barron be a middle pairing guy, and will Wifi be a guy that can be part of the future. I’m really happy they sent wifi down for development this year. Better now than when we get more crowded on D. 

While I was looking for high production from Suzuki, Caufield and Dach this year, I still thought we’d  finish between 25 and 28. Is still think we finish between 25 to 27 - unless the Sens really pick it up.

we are not a wildcard or bubble team yet. We were a bottom feeder that overachieved because of goaltending, and look better because of the OT/SO loser point.

48 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thank God for Savard !

I’m hoping he gets us a first at the deadlines. If that happens, that’s what I’d be most thankful about Savard for.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Made a minor edit above ... and I am not certain they are really even that ... YET ... I think some get excited by the previously cited 6-6-3 record against top teams (I didn't verify that) and start to believe/hope that is what the team "really is" ... accepting that the Habs play up and down to their competition without factoring in that other teams do the same.

The bottom line for me is that they are making progress. Last year they ended up 14 games below 500, right now slightly past the 1/2 way mark they are 1 game below 500.  Rome wasn't built in a day. Monty is emerging as a #1 goalie, the young defense is gaining experience (painful at times as expected), Slaf is progressing and maturing. We need to find another young offensive dynamo at the draft and hope that Dach can emerge and stay healthy. A lot of positive signs if you want to look at the glass as half full. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

we are not a wildcard or bubble team yet. We were a bottom feeder that overachieved because of goaltending, and look better because of the OT/SO loser point.

Not yet. But that said, the goaltender is part of the team, too.

33 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We are not a wildcard or bubble team yet. We were a bottom feeder that overachieved because of goaltending, and look better because of the OT/SO loser point.

I agree we are not a wild card team yet but I am always a little confused when people say we overachieved because of goaltending. A goalie is part of the team!  That's like saying the Oilers overachieve because of McDavid or the Leafs overachieve because of Mathews. Sure that may be true but they are part of the team. Monty is part of the team and yes one of the reasons the Habs have been somewhat respectable but he is part of team. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The bottom line for me is that they are making progress. Last year they ended up 14 games below 500, right now slightly past the 1/2 way mark they are 1 game below 500.  Rome wasn't built in a day. Monty is emerging as a #1 goalie, the young defense is gaining experience (painful at times as expected), Slaf is progressing and maturing. We need to find another young offensive dynamo at the draft and hope that Dach can emerge and stay healthy. A lot of positive signs if you want to look at the glass as half full. 

The only thing that I would add to this excellent post is that much is being said about that amount of one point games the Habs have this season and that such a record is unlikely to repeat. 

SURELY some of these one point game will be two point games next year. All of these one point games will NOT turn into 0 point games. 

• dlbalr changed the title to Game #46 - Canadiens vs Bruins