Game 47 Ottawa at Montreal 7pm Tuesday Jan 23

Do you think the Habs can fight for a wildcard spot next season?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Habs make the playoffs in 2024/2025?

• Yes
    • No

3rd pair LD, Harris, sits this one out. Habs expecting physical play tonight:

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

A head scratcher:

image.gif

Putting a copy of this post here because it is indeed a head scratcher. 

So we are dressing 6 Dmen and 12 forwards but there won’t be a centre on the 4th line..

I'm curious Marty, WTF do you have in mind? 🤷‍♂️

As long as Suzuki or Monahan do not get hurt from playing sooo many minutes, I do not care

this season is meaningless except for development and trade returns 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So we are dressing 6 Dmen and 12 forwards but there won’t be a centre on the 4th line..

I'm curious Marty, WTF do you have in mind? 🤷‍♂️

During live play, I think they'll go with a 3-winger fourth line.  On set faceoff plays, one of the three centres will go out for the draw and then probably change once possession is gained.  You run the risk of an icing with the 3-winger line but if I was drawing up how to make this work, that's how I'd do it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

During live play, I think they'll go with a 3-winger fourth line.  On set faceoff plays, one of the three centres will go out for the draw and then probably change once possession is gained.  You run the risk of an icing with the 3-winger line but if I was drawing up how to make this work, that's how I'd do it.

I hadn’t considered simply having a three person line where nobody played centre. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pearson is part of trio. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

As long as Suzuki or Monahan do not get hurt from playing sooo many minutes, I do not care

this season is meaningless except for development and trade returns 

I would agree, it would be really bad timing for Monahan to get hurt. 

For 14-17 minutes the front of Allen's net will be better protected.

11 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

, Habs vs Sens is:
Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Roy-Monahan-Armia 
Pearson-Evans-Anderson 
Pezzetta-RHP-Gallagher  
Matheson-Savard 
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Kovacevic
Allen
Primeau

Harvey-Pinard makes some sense as the defacto 4C in that he is somewhat reliable defensively while Pezzetta/Gallagher are better on board battles.  I'll be curious to see how much extra pressure this puts on the other three centres though.

I'm also a bit surprised Xhekaj isn't in Struble's spot on the second pairing.  Struble has shown he's not ready to be a top-four guy while Xhekaj is coming back from being an all-situations top-pairing player.  If there was ever a chance to try him on the second pairing, now (or very soon) might be that time.

Just now, sbhatt said:

That's the level of effort coming off of back to back blowout losses?!  Sad.

Yeah, I was expecting more of a push.  They were fine the first few minutes but that shorthanded goal got them down.  And what lousy coverage on that first goal, Allen made a good first stop but how does Greig beat multiple players to that puck?

6 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

And people think they will be a playoff team in a year.  We are watching the wheels fall off a bad roster.

Last year it was the December road trip that led to.these blowout losses.  We made it a month more this season, so thats progress.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah, I was expecting more of a push.  They were fine the first few minutes but that shorthanded goal got them down.  And what lousy coverage on that first goal, Allen made a good first stop but how does Greig beat multiple players to that puck?

I was told Barron and Harris were the problem.  Too weak in front of the net.

I can't watch this one (too much work!) but I strongly suspect that we're seeing the "crash" of a group of young players still not fully used to the brutal NHL schedule - midseason blahs are generally rough for kids - PLUS the cracks showing from a team that has been injury-depleted. Add to that that we're not very good in the first place, and you get these kinds of breakdowns.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

Is it effort, or we are finding out that contrary to the belief of some, we ar not close to a playoff team yet, and won’t be until the D has a chance to develop and are healthy AND we add more talent up front.

52 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can't watch this one (too much work!) but I strongly suspect that we're seeing the "crash" of a group of young players still not fully used to the brutal NHL schedule - midseason blahs are generally rough for kids - PLUS the cracks showing from a team that has been injury-depleted. Add to that that we're not very good in the first place, and you get these kinds of breakdowns.

You're not missing much so far and you've hit the nail on the head.  I'll add fragile to the description, there is not a lot of confidence or assertiveness out there at the moment.