GAME # 72 Habs vs Flyers March 28 2024 7:00pm est

DON

History of fighting in hockey – The Denver Post

1st game at home after road trip, i am not putting a lot of money on the Habs to win this one.

Fair match-up; but got little faith that the Habs show up to play.

Canadiens @ Avalanche: Game preview and how to watch (habseyesontheprize.com)

Canadiens Statistics Flyers
27-32-12 Record 36-27-10
44.8% (28th) Scoring-chances-for % 51.1 (15th)
2.70 (28th) Goals per game 2.92 (23rd)
3.37 (26th) Goals against per game 3.05 (17th)
17.5% (25th) PP% 13.4% (32nd)
76.5% (23rd) PK% 84.1% (3rd)
0-0-1 Head-to-Head Record 1-0-0

I don’t hate the Flyers org in the way I hate Toronto (first with a bullet: hatred and contempt), Boston (hatred tempered with respect for a great opponent), and, a distant third, Ottawa (contempt curdling into intense dislike)…but I don’t like ‘em either.

The Broad Street Bullies were a disgrace to the game and the Habs dynasty had to thump their asses in order to save hockey itself from sheer thuggery.

Then there was the Hextall teams in the 1980s.

Then that drooling jabbernowl Houle gave them Leclair and Desjardins in a disastrous overpay for Recchi, and they owned us for years.

It’s been a pretty quiet 21st century between the two franchises, though, I’ll admit.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I absolutely hated the Broad Street Bullies but that was a different time. The Flyers have been a huge surprise this year and Tortorella has done a fantastic job. I never thought they would be in a playoff spot this late in the year.  I won't lose any sleep if the Flyers take 2 points in regulation tonight. The Habs might have a bit of a hangover after a successful end to a long road trip but I won't sell them short either.  

My foggy ol 80s flyers memories;

I remember watching this swing by Hextall. Buttend just missed Chelios.

Cool Ice Images - Ron Hextall vs Chris Chelios! May 11,1989! | Facebook

But this hit on Propp was a 'bit' excessive.

image.jpeg

Annual game with my 6yo.

I want a win... but I don't want the points in the standings :D

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t hate the Flyers org in the way I hate Toronto (first with a bullet: hatred and contempt), Boston (hatred tempered with respect for a great opponent), and, a distant third, Ottawa (contempt curdling into intense dislike)…but I don’t like ‘em either.

The Broad Street Bullies were a disgrace to the game and the Habs dynasty had to thump their asses in order to save hockey itself from sheer thuggery.

Then that drooling jabbernowl Houle gave them Leclair and Desjardins in a disastrous overpay for Recchi, and they owned us for years.

It’s been a pretty quiet 21st century between the two franchises, though, I’ll admit.

image.jpeg

I think it was Serge Savard that traded for Recchi though....

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Annual game with my 6yo.

Ill cheer for a win for your kid.

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are right, it was that drooling jabbernowl Savard that made the Leclair trade. Houle became GM later in 1995.

Correct! My bad.

Savard was actually a very good GM, but that trade and the Chelios one -which was even worse - are huge blots on his copybook. 

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Savard was actually a very good GM, but that trade and the Chelios one -which was even worse - are huge blots on his copybook. 

I think the only GM's out there that have never made a bad trade are GM's that are either:

1) fairly new to the job  

2) have never taken a chance

7 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Annual game with my 6yo.

Struble is a solid player. Having a strong game but not the first time I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him. 

38 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Struble is a solid player. Having a strong game but not the first time I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him. 

Hope other teams like him too ... he is likely HuGo's preferred trade bait this summer (***if*** a D is traded) with Matheson, Guhle, and Xhekaj ahead of him currently (on the left-side), and the "great offensive hope" Hutson joining the organization soon ... by next summer they may be willing to part with Matheson if the youngsters progress ... they will also have a better idea of where/if Struble, Bogdan Konyushkov and Adam Engstrom fit into the mix for 25/26 and beyond (assuming none are traded) ... a further complication is the possibility that they take another D in a defenceman deep draft in June.

EDIT (1): clarified above that I was talking about the LHD
EDIT (2): Forgot Harris, he is likely (I-M-O) in a dead heat with Struble

EDIT (3): Forgot that Bogdan Konyushkov is a RHD

BAD night for the old brain cells

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the only GM's out there that have never made a bad trade are GM's that are either:

1) fairly new to the job  

2) have never taken a chance

Yes, but how many GMs have two howlers on that scale on their resume?

The amazing thing to me is that Savard won a Cup AFTER throwing away a Norris-calibre defenceman for a guy who got scratched in the playoffs. That he could pull that off is a testament to the strength of the organization he managed.

Between the Chelios/LeClair/Roy/McDonagh/Sergachev trades, I'm pretty sure the Habs have a disproportionately outsized history of disastrous deals over the past 40 years.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Between the Chelios/LeClair/Roy/McDonagh/Sergachev trades, I'm pretty sure the Habs have a disproportionately outsized history of disastrous deals over the past 40 years.

You bring back some sweet memories.  LOL  The McDonagh/Gomez trade is still a head scratcher. 

Sather:  Bob, if you give me your best young defense prospect, I will let you have my worst contract. I know he makes 7.3M/year but he is a nice skater.

Bob: Sounds good. Why don't I throw in Chris Higgins as well. I know he only scored 12 goals last year but he scored 20+ the previous 3 years and he plays both ends of the ice. 

Sather: Let me think about that. OK, you got a deal. Happy to help you out Bob. 

WTF   That trade in a salary cap world still boggles my mind. 

Based on the Sportsnet recap - which includes hilariously “homer” commentary by the Flyers broadcasting crew - this seems to have been a solid win. Too bad they couldn’t get Primeau a shutout. He seems to just keep rolling along, eh? 

Not exactly happy they won, but Suzy got his 30th and Slaf's streak is still going, so I have to like that.  

Wild, Arber with 3 Flyers.  I loved what he said:  "you don't want this, you don't want it"

7 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I tend to disagree with that because Umberger wrecked the Habs in the 3rd round once and they won in the 1st rnd in the Covid playin year.  I believe there is another series with Carter and Richards and possibly 1 more too.  The Habs worst playoff record this century is against what team?  The Flyers are my answer to that Q.   

I loved TSN's 3 Stars of the Game:

image.png

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I tend to disagree with that because Umberger wrecked the Habs in the 3rd round once and they won in the 1st rnd in the Covid playin year.  I believe there is another series with Carter and Richards and possibly 1 more too.  The Habs worst playoff record this century is against what team? 

I think by "quiet" he meant in terms of what we old-timers remember form the BBBs and Chelios vs. Hextall.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Based on the Sportsnet recap - which includes hilariously “homer” commentary by the Flyers broadcasting crew - this seems to have been a solid win. Too bad they couldn’t get Primeau a shutout. He seems to just keep rolling along, eh? 

Montembeault  AND  Primeau in Prague/Ostrava come May?

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

image.jpeg

I too,  shudder at the mere mention of Houle’s reign of Error as Habs GM but that terrible, destructive trade was the work of Serge Savard. The drooling Jabernowl did the final razing of the’93 championship team with a series of almost inconceivably bad trades, poor drafting and non-existent development. Btw, I also hate the Leafs, apparently not as much as you, the Bruins and to a much lesser degree the Flyers, but number 1 on my list for many years is the Hurricanes.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wild, Arber with 3 Flyers.  I loved what he said:  "you don't want this, you don't want it"

Really?

I was thinking the opposite and this is exactly what Xhekaj needs to curb, the immature post-whistle BS.

Working on his decision-making and defense is likely bit more important for the Habs.

10 Thoughts: Habs Make It Three Straight Wins – HabsWorld.net

3rd Star: Jayden Struble 

Loved the backhand shot and i think being scratched must of been bit of wake up call.

"After surviving a flurry from the Flyers, the Canadiens make the same thing happen in the offensive zone. It nearly ends with a highlight-reel goal for Jayden Struble slicing through the middle of the ice, but his backhand goes off the post.
Struble then races back to break up a pass in the neutral zone.
Then he goes deep into the offensive zone to relaunch the attack. He probably skated 300 metres on that shift, one of his best in the NHL."

Top Six Minutes: Montreal earns first winning streak of the year (habseyesontheprize.com)