GAME # 72 Habs vs Flyers March 28 2024 7:00pm est

DON

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I think by "quiet" he meant in terms of what we old-timers remember form the BBBs and Chelios vs. Hextall.

Jeepers, yes. Those were some serious wars. (I’m not old enough to remember the Bullies heyday - just the tail end of it - but know enough Habs and hockey lore to understand what the dynasty’s first Cup represented). There is zero to compare with it in the 21st century. Closest we’ve come is the Habs-Bruins during the Lucic/Subban eras, which was a hell of a rivalry in its own right.

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

I too,  shudder at the mere mention of Houle’s reign of Error as Habs GM but that terrible, destructive trade was the work of Serge Savard. The drooling Jabernowl did the final razing of the’93 championship team with a series of almost inconceivably bad trades, poor drafting and non-existent development. Btw, I also hate the Leafs, apparently not as much as you, the Bruins and to a much lesser degree the Flyers, but number 1 on my list for many years is the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes have definitely been a thorn in the Habs’ flesh. Very much a “this century” thing. Whether it’s the absolute BS call that cost us the series in 2002, or the gouging out of Koivu’s eyeball that similarly turned the series (that made TWO unearned playoff wins against us!!), or the Kotkaniemi nonsense, we’ve had to put up with a whole lot of crap from that quarter. So that is a totally valid choice and probably pretty representative of a younger generation of Habs fans. 

Another more contemporary team that has frustrated the crap out of me is Tampa Bay. Even when we had a powerful team in 2014-15, they beat us. And they were there to end the great Run of ‘21. That’s a franchise that just seems to own us, in the same way that the Devils used to own us in the Brodeur era. But there haven’t been a lot of nasty incidents affixed to that ‘rivalry’ which is why it’s hard to *hate* TB.

I actually think Savard’s drafting was underrated because of all the blown 1st rounders. Houle inherited a team that had a lot of strong pieces and some promising young players (Tucker, Conroy, Bure, Koivu, etc.). There was no way the period from 1995-2005 should have been as catastrophic as it was. That’s on the second worst GM in modern NHL history, i.e., Reggie Houle.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Matheson with the 3a & up to 51pts, now 10th in NHL d-scoring.

Amazing when you consider that a good portion of Habs fanbase has spent the season crapping on his head.

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Amazing when you consider that a good portion of Habs fanbase has spent the season crapping on his head.

Hands down best trade Hughes has made so far during his tenure.

He's such an effortless skater.

I expect this will be more than a fine ... absolutely no relationship to a "hockey play".

Its a love tap but the fact he does it from the bench and not being involved in the play suggests a suspension to me.  Especially this close to.playoffs the league has to set the precedent that you cant be hitting people from the bench.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It was a stupid play by Guhle, very surprised he did this. I think a 2 game suspension is coming. 

I expect he was upset at Konecny's run at Slafkovský--which surely should have merited a penalty.

But stupid followed by another stupid is still stupid.

58 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

One game it is. Guhle got lucky on this one.

Clean history and relatively mild "slash" likely mitigated the penalty ... but a STUPID move by Guhle ... might there have been an issue between them earlier in the game?

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Clean history and relatively mild "slash" likely mitigated the penalty ... but a STUPID move by Guhle ... might there have been an issue between them earlier in the game?

I suspect it was the run Konecny took at Slafkovsky less than a minute earlier.

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That is the obvious proximate cause, but it didn't seem so bad as to provoke such a stupid decision by Guhle.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:02 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Hurricanes have definitely been a thorn in the Habs’ flesh. Very much a “this century” thing. Whether it’s the absolute BS call that cost us the series in 2002, or the gouging out of Koivu’s eyeball that similarly turned the series (that made TWO unearned playoff wins against us!!), or the Kotkaniemi nonsense, we’ve had to put up with a whole lot of crap from that quarter. So that is a totally valid choice and probably pretty representative of a younger generation of Habs fans. 

I actually think Savard’s drafting was underrated because of all the blown 1st rounders. Houle inherited a team that had a lot of strong pieces and some promising young players (Tucker, Conroy, Bure, Koivu, etc.). There was no way the period from 1995-2005 should have been as catastrophic as it was. That’s on the second worst GM in modern NHL history, i.e., Reggie Houle.

I don’t think I can be considered part of the younger generation by any metric 😎 Also, dislike Tampa. If you rank Houle as second worst, who is worse, Mike Milbury?

4 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I don’t think I can be considered part of the younger generation by any metric 😎 Also, dislike Tampa. If you rank Houle as second worst, who is worse, Mike Milbury?

Yeah, Mad Mike Milbury. Oh my Lord, what a clown.

18 hours ago, GHT120 said:
18 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That is the obvious proximate cause, but it didn't seem so bad as to provoke such a stupid decision by Guhle.

I believe you are correct and that was the tipping point because didn't Konecny hit Guhle into the boards in the corner earlier in the game?  I'm pretty sure something happened between them so they were definitely not playing nice nice with each other.   I somewhat have the impression that Guhle doesn't like to fight but he seemed to have a hate on for Konecny.  

On 3/28/2024 at 8:45 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t hate the Flyers org in the way I hate Toronto (first with a bullet: hatred and contempt), Boston (hatred tempered with respect for a great opponent), and, a distant third, Ottawa (contempt curdling into intense dislike)…but I don’t like ‘em either.

The Broad Street Bullies were a disgrace to the game and the Habs dynasty had to thump their asses in order to save hockey itself from sheer thuggery.

Then there was the Hextall teams in the 1980s.

Then that drooling jabbernowl Houle gave them Leclair and Desjardins in a disastrous overpay for Recchi, and they owned us for years.

It’s been a pretty quiet 21st century between the two franchises, though, I’ll admit.

image.jpeg

Didn’t Savard make the Leclair trade?

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn’t Savard make the Leclair trade?

You’re late to the party, brother! I was called out on that gaffe earlier in the thread. Which led to some discussion of Savard’s merits and demerits. (Personally, I defend his overall performance despite his making two of the worst trades in Habs history).

On 3/31/2024 at 10:22 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You’re late to the party, brother! I was called out on that gaffe earlier in the thread. Which led to some discussion of Savard’s merits and demerits. (Personally, I defend his overall performance despite his making two of the worst trades in Habs history).

I was off the site for almost a week, so  been getting caught on the conversations.