2023/2024 season playoff discussion

Leafs or Bruins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins that series?

• Boston
    • Leafs

Mathews must win a few games but he can't win all 4 by himself.  Plus, the longer the series goes the better it is for all Habs fans.  i.e. let both of the Habs biggest rivals wear each other out so neither win the Cup.  

Well, that certainly wasn't what I tuned in to see.  Geez, what a collapse that was.  After the Laffs game I put on the NYI vs Cannes game.

When I put the game on it was 3-2 NYI with about 3:30 mins left. After watching for 1 min the Cannes scored to tie it up and then 10 seconds later they scored again to go up 4-3. They got an empty netter 1 min later. Apparently, the NYI were up 3-0 before the 3rd period started and only had a few shots on net the entire period. The Cannes are now up 2-0 in the series.

The play by play guy for the leafs game last night after Mathews scored, “well there it is! Goal number 70 for Austin Mathews”

Thats not how it works you leaf homer 

I dislike the team but the media around the leafs is intolerable. 

I watched the end of the NYI game. I am cheering for St-Patrick.

They were in defending mode early in the 3rd and static in their zone (per RDS commentators) ; so at that point I thought that they may screw up. But I was still hoping for a main for them.

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, that certainly wasn't what I tuned in to see.  Geez, what a collapse that was.  After the Laffs game I put on the NYI vs Cannes game.

When I put the game on it was 3-2 NYI with about 3:30 mins left. After watching for 1 min the Cannes scored to tie it up and then 10 seconds later they scored again to go up 4-3. They got an empty netter 1 min later. Apparently, the NYI were up 3-0 before the 3rd period started and only had a few shots on net the entire period. The Cannes are now up 2-0 in the series.

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

[…]
Can’t believe the Islanders blew a three goal lead. Not sure they have a chance 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Sources tell @DailyFaceoff: #Canucks  Thatcher Demko is out for Game 2. His status for the series is questionable.

What a kick in the face for Vancouver 

The only scenario that could be worse would be to lose Hughes.

I had a feeling about the Canucks this year - they look ready for a deep run - but I doubt they can survive more than a couple of games without Demko.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I had a feeling about the Canucks this year - they look ready for a deep run - but I doubt they can survive more than a couple of games without Demko.

Canucks were my Canadian hope. I genuinely hope the team coalesces and gets out of round 1. 

Perhaps Demko can return for round 2

Screw Winnipeg, screw Edmonton and screw the leafs twice. 

11 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Canucks were my Canadian hope. I genuinely hope the team coalesces and gets out of round 1. 

Perhaps Demko can return for round 2

Screw Winnipeg, screw Edmonton and screw the leafs twice. 

I used to despise the Canucks. Moved to the Vancouver area during the "West Coast Express" era and was appalled when the fan base rallied in support of Bertuzzi when he viciously ended Steve Moore's career. Then I heard endless fan moaning about "the Sedin Sisters" (until 2011, when that garbage finally shut up). I wanted no part of Canuckleheads Nation.

However, I find myself feeling these days that they've suffered enough. This is a traumatized fanbase, rife with pessimism and a sense of perpetual doom and gloom; and to lose the devastating way they did in 2011, to be followed by over a decade of complete managerial ineptitude, has been years of unremitting agony for these fans. Even this year - a magical year by any measure - huge chunks of the fanbase could not bring themselves to even hope that the team was for real. It was almost comical; I made money by betting my friends that the Canucks would make the playoffs. Naturally they couldn't make that bet fast enough. This fanbase is always waiting for the anvil to fall on its head. 

This team also has players on it that are right up my alley - particularly Quinn Hughes, who is a real artist. But they have a lot of quality players I either respect or like, including Demko.

So yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them go all the way this year. It's not going to happen now, IMHO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I used to despise the Canucks. Moved to the Vancouver area during the "West Coast Express" era and was appalled when the fan base rallied in support of Bertuzzi when he viciously ended Steve Moore's career. Then I heard endless fan moaning about "the Sedin Sisters" (until 2011, when that garbage finally shut up). I wanted no part of Canuckleheads Nation.

However, I find myself feeling these days that they've suffered enough. This is a traumatized fanbase, rife with pessimism and a sense of perpetual doom and gloom; and to lose the devastating way they did in 2011, to be followed by over a decade of complete managerial ineptitude, has been years of unremitting agony for these fans. Even this year - a magical year by any measure - huge chunks of the fanbase could not bring themselves to even hope that the team was for real. It was almost comical; I made money by betting my friends that the Canucks would make the playoffs. Naturally they couldn't make that bet fast enough. This fanbase is always waiting for the anvil to fall on its head. 

This team also has players on it that are right up my alley - particularly Quinn Hughes, who is a real artist. But they have a lot of quality players I either respect or like, including Demko.

So yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them go all the way this year. It's not going to happen now, IMHO.

I have no idea why I actually like the Canucks but it might be because they are the only Canadian team that hasn’t offended me. 

Leafs, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa - I strongly dislike for one dumb reason or another but the Canucks are cool. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have no idea why I actually like the Canucks but it might be because they are the only Canadian team that hasn’t offended me. 

Leafs, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa - I strongly dislike for one dumb reason or another but the Canucks are cool. 

Canucks or Jets cup win would be great, to see either of them get a 1st cup... If not Go Oilers!

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Canucks or Jets cup win would be great, to see either of them get a 1st cup... If not Go Oilers!

I have to admit ... I am in the "Habs should be the next Canadian team to win the Cup" camp ... it isn't in any way logical ... but being a fan generally isn't.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I thought DeSmith did quite well this year but it turns out he didn’t. Simply when he faced the Habs. I still think they could win a round with him but their cup aspirations may indeed go out the window.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I have to admit ... I am in the "Habs should be the next Canadian team to win the Cup" camp ... it isn't in any way logical ... but being a fan generally isn't.

Absolutely, as I have said many times, fan is short for fanatic, absolutely no logic behind being a fan. You are either a Habs fan or you are not, there is no middle ground. 

13 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I’m with you, rooting for a Nashville-islander final

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m with you, rooting for a Nashville-islander final

Cant say i ever considered it, would always pull for Canadian teams, aside from Leafs (which havent threatened forever anyways).

Go Bruins!:1vomit:

• Upvote 1

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023/2024 season playoff discussion