2023/2024 season playoff discussion

3rd string goalie starting for Canucks, no good at all (and 4th stringer is back up)!

45 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He had just as many chances when he played for the Habs. Difference is that he is actually scoring off of those chances now. 

I think the entire board liked Lehkonen very much and were really happy when he won that cup. 

Starting to regret that trade now though...

Winnipeg doing their best to give Habs the best possible pick in June.

He might have blossomed under MSL's tutelage, too ... but once Bergevin signed Armia's extension, the die was cast on Lehkonen's future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the easiest thing for an analyst to do is find a defensive breakdown somewhere, anywhere whenever a goal is scored.  Giving up 3 goals is not awful, scoring only 1 is the problem. 

Getting 0 shots on a PP with 5:00 left and down 3-1 in the third period is bad. 

Following that powerplay with 3:00 left with a shift with your fourth line and 3rd pair defence is brutal coaching. 

If ever there is a time to double shift your top guns (And yes Matthews left the game before that), it was right then. 

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree Keefe is gone ... the question is does it stop there or does it start at the top with Shanahan and potentially put Treliving and Keefe on the block as well?

I expect Berube to be a (the?) "hot commodity" for NHL head coaching positions this off-season ... unless the Leafs clean house and Craig is the choice of the "full new regime", I expect he is too smart to hitch his wagon to the Leafs.

NOTE: by "full new regime" I mean that New-President fires Treliving and picks his own GM ... if a N-P keeps Trevling that is no guarantee that Brad has any sort of future ... the N-P could just be deferring a decision until summer 2025 to see what happens with Tavares and Marner ... can Treliving move them ... or does he get permission to extend either/both ... does a New-Pres just let both walk and pull a quick "re-load" ... regardless, a N-P keeping Treliving offers Berube no real security/support.

They are gonna fire em all. 

Keith Pelley is the new boss at MLSE and that's a change that just happened this spring.  He's not going to want Shanahan as president... a guy who has been there 10 years and has one playoff series win to show for it.  

Once Shanahan goes, all the other dominoes from Treliving, to Keefe go too. 

What happens with the roster... that's tougher cause the big 4 and Rielly all have NMC/NTCs so it will be about fixing the supporting class... probably a new goalie, new defenders and changing out guys like Bertuzzi and Domi for other pieces. 

WOW!!! 

Epic theft by Vancouver!! 

"Team of destiny" vibe starting to emerge...if they can win the series after losing two goalies, that is massive.

Hughes quietly makes huge plays at key moments to make it happen

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

WOW!!! 

Epic theft by Vancouver!! 

"Team of destiny" vibe starting to emerge...if they can win the series after losing two goalies, that is massive.

Hughes quietly makes huge plays at key moments to make it happen

I swear I knew it as soon as Sissons hit that post. 

That was insane. 

2 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

I swear I knew it as soon as Sissons hit that post. 

That was insane. 

LOL, reminded me of that post in the women's Olympic gold medal game a few years ago. And sure enough, the team that benefitted from the post went on to win. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Once Shanahan goes, all the other dominoes from Treliving, to Keefe go too. 

What happens with the roster... that's tougher cause the big 4 and Rielly all have NMC/NTCs so it will be about fixing the supporting class... probably a new goalie, new defenders and changing out guys like Bertuzzi and Domi for other pieces. 

If they get serious about reworking the roster ... some of the big four might actually WANT to go.

Mind you, no more Arizona team for Matthews to go to.

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Rangers and Carolina is going to be a good series. 

Ovechkin’s last playoffs probably 

Better hope Carolina wins the next one. 

D'oh, I'm shocked the Caps are out.  Didn't they get the memo that the President Trophy team isn't supposed to make round 2?  Shocked OV got 0 pts.  I agree it is likely his last playoffs.  

Good for Van, I'm surprised they pulled that off.  It usually takes a team several years to figure out and be able to close out a series by going up 3-1 in game 4 vs 2-2 and having it go 6-7 games.  

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

LOL, reminded me of that post in the women's Olympic gold medal game a few years ago. And sure enough, the team that benefitted from the post went on to win. 

It reminded me of the Edmonton Dallas game where the Stars missed and lost.  

The Jets series is surprising too.  I know the Avs have a good team but I figured the Jets might beat them.  The Jets have better goalie and have decent depth.  However, Moneyhands only has 1 a and Tofffs has 1 g.  That was a must win game for them and the Jets failed to show up. 

8 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

D'oh, I'm shocked the Caps are out.  Didn't they get the memo that the President Trophy team isn't supposed to make round 2?  Shocked OV got 0 pts.  I agree it is likely his last playoffs.  

The Jets series is surprising too.  I know the Avs have a good team but I figured the Jets might beat them.  The Jets have better goalie and have decent depth.  However, Moneyhands only has 1 a and Tofffs has 1 g.  That was a must win game for them and the Jets failed to show up.

The Caps have been running on fumes, really. The question is whether they face reality this summer or put it off for another year in the hopes of padding Ovechkin's numbers with more empty-netters.

The Jets surely expected better goaltending from Hellebuyck, though, he has not been what they need him to be.

There is no memo that the President's trophy team is supposed to be eliminated or that they can't win the cup. 

Since There have been 16 teams in the playoffs.... if we look at history, the President's Trophy team has won, on average, one cup every 7.5 years or so.... or more than double what you'd expect if you say each of the 16 seeds have an equal chance at the cup.  This is more often than any other position in the playoffs.  Now yes, the top teams have a better chance than the bottom teams, its not evenly distributed, but that said, the President's Trophy team is winning more than double their share if it was even, and more than any other seed.  The idea that the spot is cursed, or that they are destined to lose early is just fallacy.  

Yeah, sports are weird and sometimes upsets happen, but they are less frequent than they should be based on stats  (which totally makes sense and why they are an upset). 

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Caps have been running on fumes, really.

Exactly, they had a -37 goal differential this year, the worst goal differential for any team making the playoffs since 1990 or 1991 I believe. They just weren't a very good team. 

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I watched hockey for around 12 straight hours yesterday. Never in my life have I sat on my couch for an entire day watching hockey. 

What an unproductive yet glorious day. There was a lot of really great hockey played on Sunday. 

The 1st round of hockey playoffs is one of the best times of the year. It's OK to have some unproductive time. 

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023/2024 season playoff discussion