Huet to Wash for 2nd round pick

HabsWEST

I'm not sure he's ready right now, but I think he and Halak could really push each other.

You were way wrong on that Prediction. Price played amazing after Huet left and with the win over Toronto gave us a chance at first in the conference.

What a crappy trade. What the heck is Gainey doing here. Come on a second round pick.

Couln't we have at least given Huet to the Lightning or Detroit for a little in return.

Very dissapointed.

I was a bit wrong to. I was more mad about what we got though.

I'll cheer for him when he earns it...

I think you better start cheering.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without taking Huet's feelings into account, the fact is that the Habs would have been better off going into the playoffs with an older, more experienced backup for Carey Price. Personally, I think the opportunity cost of not getting a 2nd round pick (from one of the top contenders for the Cup - the Anaheim Ducks) would have been a cheap price to pay for the luxury of having Huet as a backup for our 20 year-old wonder.

Now, I can understand some of the reasons for dealing Huet away, for his sake and also Halak's, however practically giving away an All-Star goaltender to a conference rival was a stupid move in my opinion. If somehow the Habs and the Caps were to meet in the semi-finals, and Huet was outstanding enough to eliminate his former team... let's just say I wouldn't want to be Bob Gainey this summer ;-)

Now, I can understand some of the reasons for dealing Huet away, for his sake and also Halak's, however practically giving away an All-Star goaltender to a conference rival was a stupid move in my opinion. If somehow the Habs and the Caps were to meet in the semi-finals, and Huet was outstanding enough to eliminate his former team... let's just say I wouldn't want to be Bob Gainey this summer ;-)

Would you want to be Bob Gainey if they meet in the semi-finals and Price outplays Huet.? Huet was great at times in Montreal, but we all knew he couldn't take us far into the play-offs. I would be more concerned about Ovechkin and the health status of Koivu and Nylander. We'll beat Huet.

If somehow the Habs and the Caps were to meet in the semi-finals, and Huet was outstanding enough to eliminate his former team... let's just say I wouldn't want to be Bob Gainey this summer ;-)

Why is it that everytime somebody mentions the possiblity of Playing the Caps in the playoffs, everyone assumes that Huet will have our number?

Why couldn't it go the other way around? You'd think that over the past 3 seasons, many players on the Habs team would know what Huet's weaknesses are and would take advantage of the situation!?!?!

Why is it that everytime somebody mentions the possiblity of Playing the Caps in the playoffs, everyone assumes that Huet will have our number?

Why couldn't it go the other way around? You'd think that over the past 3 seasons, many players on the Habs team would know what Huet's weaknesses are and would take advantage of the situation!?!?!

Not saying he will... or that those teams are actually likely to meet... just that the media will have a great time sticking it to Gainey's face for a long time if Huet does help the Capitals eliminate the Habs. If that happens, Timmins better pull off another magic trick with that pick ;-)

Without taking Huet's feelings into account, the fact is that the Habs would have been better off going into the playoffs with an older, more experienced backup for Carey Price. Personally, I think the opportunity cost of not getting a 2nd round pick (from one of the top contenders for the Cup - the Anaheim Ducks) would have been a cheap price to pay for the luxury of having Huet as a backup for our 20 year-old wonder.

What experience? Huet has 6 post season games under his belt! People complained about dealing away his experience when he really has none.

Price has played many more meaningful games in his short career than Huet has (think world juniors and calder cup finals) and has exceled. You saw the effect that Huet had on Price. Every since he was traded, the kid has been dominant in nets. It usually never works out well when a goalie has to look over his shoulder all the time.

Not saying he will... or that those teams are actually likely to meet... just that the media will have a great time sticking it to Gainey's face for a long time if Huet does help the Capitals eliminate the Habs. If that happens, Timmins better pull off another magic trick with that pick ;-)

If the caps beat us, It won't be because of Huet, it'll be because of Ovechkin taking over the series. Also, Gainey and Timmins have proven there worth to the organization, they don't need to prove anything this summer. Even if...and this is a massive if... Huet stands on his head in the playoffs, how can you justify one miscalculation (even though Price is a better goalie) being more important than these two guys completely rebuilding this team into a winner?

This was a great trade for both Huet and Price in the end. Both goalies went on great end-of-season runs to help their teams into the playoffs and first place in the East respectively. I don't think Washington or Montreal would have done as well as they did had Huet remained in Montreal platooning with Price as both netminder needed to be the #1 to remain in top form.

What experience? Huet has 6 post season games under his belt! People complained about dealing away his experience when he really has none.

Price has played many more meaningful games in his short career than Huet has (think world juniors and calder cup finals) and has exceled. You saw the effect that Huet had on Price. Every since he was traded, the kid has been dominant in nets. It usually never works out well when a goalie has to look over his shoulder all the time.

We're talking about Huet vs Halak for backing a very young Carey Price. Cristobal is a 32 year-old veteran with nearly 185 regular season games under his belt... I'm very much a fan of both Price and Halak, and I fully support Gainey's decision to hand over the reigns to Price, but it remains that Montreal would be a team with Huet backing up Price rather than Halak. Unless Gainey truly left that Huet would affect team morale as a backup, I think that keeping Huet was worth more than what will essentially be a near 3rd-round pick.

Of course, if Price remains strong throughout the playoffs, and Timmins pulls another Halak, S. Kost, O'Byrne, ... Gainey will be praised for this move.

We're talking about Huet vs Halak for backing a very young Carey Price. Cristobal is a 32 year-old veteran with nearly 185 regular season games under his belt... I'm very much a fan of both Price and Halak, and I fully support Gainey's decision to hand over the reigns to Price, but it remains that Montreal would be a team with Huet backing up Price rather than Halak. Unless Gainey truly left that Huet would affect team morale as a backup, I think that keeping Huet was worth more than what will essentially be a near 3rd-round pick.

Of course, if Price remains strong throughout the playoffs, and Timmins pulls another Halak, S. Kost, O'Byrne, ... Gainey will be praised for this move.

Halak has still played as many "pressure" games as Huet.

Our entire team is young and inexperienced. They are all about to grow through this together. Everyones got each others back and huge bonds will be made. I think this was Gainey's plan the minute he decided to let Huet go. He wanted Huet out of the dressing room so Price and Halak could take this ride together....so much so that he didn't care he was getting rid of an all-star for a second round pick.....not one for this year, but next. There is no looking back at this point......I have every ounce of faith that this was the right move. Should Price struggle I have no doubt Halak will shine just as much if not more then Huet would have.

Your blatent hate of Huet is so strong, you are now making stuff up and sounding silly..

Were you not the one suggesting that Huet would be ripped up playing behind the horrible Caps defense and take them nowhere???

He still has better stats then Price and helped take his team to the playoffs. While you might like Price more, while Price is getting the job done for sure, and while we all expect Price to have a great career, running down Huet and ignoring his success just makes you look petty.

Your blatent hate of Huet is so strong, you are now making stuff up and sounding silly..

Were you not the one suggesting that Huet would be ripped up playing behind the horrible Caps defense and take them nowhere???

He still has better stats then Price and helped take his team to the playoffs. While you might like Price more, while Price is getting the job done for sure, and while we all expect Price to have a great career, running down Huet and ignoring his success just makes you look petty.

Avatar bet for first round of the playoffs?

While it worked out fine for the Habs because Price has been so good, I still hate that Gainey 'gifted' a team in our conference with Huet. Woulda looked much better out west somewhere IMO...I really don't want him to get the chance to burn us. Go Flyers!

And your blatant love is not as strong?

Anytime anybody says anything negative about Huet, you pick up your sword and shield and swing away.

Huet has better stats, Huet has a great save percentage, blah blah blah. Top 10 in the league, so desirable that

he has been traded for Radek Bonk and now a 2nd rounder. I don't care what he has done on Washington.

He is their problem now. Let them sign him to a 4-5 year deal and enjoy one peak season of the end of his prime.

Price is 20 has won 7 straight starts and the Habs are the one seed in the playoffs.

Can we drop the Huet BS please. Good luck Cristobal. Now go away Huet

Edited by Wamsley01

I think that is a bit of a stretch, just because Halak has not played an NHL playoff game.

And Huet played a ton of must win games in 06 and 08.

Huet was not the goalie for this team. Gainey has been methodical in his plan and it has lead us to

first place in the east and people still think that he should have done this, should have done that.

What he did with Huet was more than just an on ice move. He is changing the culture in the dressing room,

he is testing the two kids and Price has responded with winning 7 straight down the stretch in dominant fashion.

Other than the 5 goals against Ottawa when the team fell asleep and left him alone for 20 minutes he has not allowed

3+ goals since the Sharks game March 3rd. He passed that test.

The team has gone 14-4-1 since Huet was dealt. The team passed that test.

He now goes into the offseason knowing that Price is ready to be the number 1 and does not have to concern

himself with Huet's impending UFA status.

It was a good gamble. This team is being built from the goalie out. Gainey's vision contains more than the next

3 months. If he felt it was better for Price's development to have playoff experience and deal with the ups and downs

this season in order to help him grow for future runs, then why must the visionaries on this board who questioned

Hamrlik, Souray, Price over Brule/Kopitar, Carbonneau etc etc continue to complain?

Huet is gone. Decision was made, the Habs are in first. Are we complaining just to complain now?

Jesus, the Habs are really back!!

While it worked out fine for the Habs because Price has been so good, I still hate that Gainey 'gifted' a team in our conference with Huet. Woulda looked much better out west somewhere IMO...I really don't want him to get the chance to burn us. Go Flyers!
Yeah but whadda ya do? Bryzgalov was waived. At least BOb got a 2nd rounder for him. It'd have been nice if went west. But if he did, where to? The only teams that would be interested would be playoff bound clubs. None of the top 8 in the west would want Huet. Then there's Edmonton and Vancouver who came close to qualifying, but why would Huet want to play second fiddle to Luongo?

No offence but you "blatent" love for ex habs is getting a bit ridiculous. First Ribeiro and now Huet. Stop sticking all their stats in our faces every time they do something good. WE didnt trade them, Gainey did because he thought it was the right move to do for the team and LOOK! WE ENDED UP 1ST IN THE EAST! Do you still think he sucks as a gm making those trades? Ill say it again just so you know. 1ST IN THE EAST!

over and out. GO HABS GO!

No offence but you "blatent" love for ex habs is getting a bit ridiculous. First Ribeiro and now Huet. Stop sticking all their stats in our faces every time they do something good. WE didnt trade them, Gainey did because he thought it was the right move to do for the team and LOOK! WE ENDED UP 1ST IN THE EAST! Do you still think he sucks as a gm making those trades? Ill say it again just so you know. 1ST IN THE EAST!

over and out. GO HABS GO!

Well, since I never said Gainey sucks as a GM, I have no idea what you are talking about. Gainey has made several trades I don't like, but that doesn't mean he sucks. More importantly, the issue has been the return we got, not trading someone. Last time I checked, Niinimma was not the reason we made the playoffs this year. :P

What I cannot stand on these boards is people who clearly hate a player constantly crapping on them to the point of being silly. How anyone can say that Huet has not played very well in Washington is beyond me. How anyone can say that Halak has as much or more "pressure game" experience is beyond me. That is not valid, that is just bashing, or perhaps wishful thinking. If I stated here that Price sucks, because. ah.. he never wins big games, he has no playoff experience.. ah. he was just made to look good because our defense is so good, you would be quite right to call me either a loon, or a hater.

I of course wouldn't make those statements. Not because I like Price (which I do, and I was one of the few people who defended Gainey when he drafted him), but because I try to base my commentary on facts and observation.

The fact is we had three great goalie (imo), and only one with much NHL experience. I would have prefered we went into the playoffs with Huet and Price, but Gainey decided to go for it with just Price. Clearly Price has been playing better then Huet since the trade, and so has Huet. So it has been good for both of them. Clearly Gainey felt that both of them were playing below expectations because neither of them were comfortable as the number one goalie. Hence he decided it was better to take the risk on Price (and it was an early risk) and clear the issue up. That does not mean that either Huet or Price sucked. If you have to pick one, nobody would say "trade Price and keep Huet", it was either trade Huet or keep them both.

So my issue is not with Gainey, it is with the same few people who bad mouth Huet constantly, and have all year. In my opinion, it has everything to do with their love of Price and little to do with Huet. Huet was simply in the way of their new idol.

Based on Huet's performance in Washington, I think there is a good case to say "we would be first with either Price or Huet in net, both have been fantastic down the stretch). So far, that means we did fine in the trade, but if Price blows out a knee in game 1, I will be cheering for Halak, but wishing we still had Huet kicking around. That is nothing to do with love for Huet.

Ladies, please. If we can't settle this like men, then it'll be handbags at 30 paces.

And to keep this on topic, I think keeping Huet around would have been a mistake. Price flourished without him, hell, the Habs flourished without him.

Eric Engels, love him or hate him, is pretty on spot IMHO here - http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=14587

Huet was not as consistent as Price has been, and would not be a good back-up goaltender. The Habs were the most consistent team in the league this year, and we need a goalie that is strong whether the team is or not.

But I love Huet, and am glad for all he's done. But when it comes to playing him in Washington, we gotta put the love aside.

Even O'Byrne, and his love of handbags.

So watch out...

Well, since I never said Gainey sucks as a GM, I have no idea what you are talking about. Gainey has made several trades I don't like, but that doesn't mean he sucks. More importantly, the issue has been the return we got, not trading someone. Last time I checked, Niinimma was not the reason we made the playoffs this year. :P

What I cannot stand on these boards is people who clearly hate a player constantly crapping on them to the point of being silly. How anyone can say that Huet has not played very well in Washington is beyond me. How anyone can say that Halak has as much or more "pressure game" experience is beyond me. That is not valid, that is just bashing, or perhaps wishful thinking. If I stated here that Price sucks, because. ah.. he never wins big games, he has no playoff experience.. ah. he was just made to look good because our defense is so good, you would be quite right to call me either a loon, or a hater.

I of course wouldn't make those statements. Not because I like Price (which I do, and I was one of the few people who defended Gainey when he drafted him), but because I try to base my commentary on facts and observation.

The fact is we had three great goalie (imo), and only one with much NHL experience. I would have prefered we went into the playoffs with Huet and Price, but Gainey decided to go for it with just Price. Clearly Price has been playing better then Huet since the trade, and so has Huet. So it has been good for both of them. Clearly Gainey felt that both of them were playing below expectations because neither of them were comfortable as the number one goalie. Hence he decided it was better to take the risk on Price (and it was an early risk) and clear the issue up. That does not mean that either Huet or Price sucked. If you have to pick one, nobody would say "trade Price and keep Huet", it was either trade Huet or keep them both.

So my issue is not with Gainey, it is with the same few people who bad mouth Huet constantly, and have all year. In my opinion, it has everything to do with their love of Price and little to do with Huet. Huet was simply in the way of their new idol.

Based on Huet's performance in Washington, I think there is a good case to say "we would be first with either Price or Huet in net, both have been fantastic down the stretch). So far, that means we did fine in the trade, but if Price blows out a knee in game 1, I will be cheering for Halak, but wishing we still had Huet kicking around. That is nothing to do with love for Huet.

I am not sure if you are lumping me in with the Huet bashers. Which I don't find many of on this board.

Your argument was that Price was not ready so Huet should be signed, to 5 years if need be. Gainey must take the careful approach.

My argument has always been Price at 20 is as good if not better and why wrap up 5 years in a goalie at the tail end of his prime.

I also said Huet is an average goalie who blows hot and cold and tended to give up some really bad goals, and that at one point

in the season was atrocious at the shootout. I also tried to prove that Save Percentage is not the ultimate stat to determine the best goalie's

in the league.

Where is the bashing? Is it true that Price has played just as good? It is true that they did not need to pay 2 starters? Is it true that Huet

blows hot and cold? (January HOT/February COLD/March HOT) and is it true that he gave up some bad goals? (almost none of which you deemed soft)

and is it true that midway through the season he was below 50% on his shootout attempts?

So if you are lumping me in with the Huet bashers (which you have before), please explain to me at which point I bashed him?

I know JMMR is not a fan, but he has made some valid points about Huet's abilities.

You may have a problem with people who "Bad mouth" Huet, but you exist on the other side of the spectrum and do not provide the unbiased

perspective that you believe you do.

Edited by Wamsley01

I am praying for a habs/Caps playoff series. I can't wait til Huet breaks their back with a softie.

I am not sure if you are lumping me in with the Huet bashers. Which I don't find many of on this board.

Your argument was that Price was not ready so Huet should be signed, to 5 years if need be. Gainey must take the careful approach.

My argument has always been Price at 20 is as good if not better and why wrap up 5 years in a goalie at the tail end of his prime.

I also said Huet is an average goalie who blows hot and cold and tended to give up some really bad goals, and that at one point

in the season was atrocious at the shootout. I also tried to prove that Save Percentage is not the ultimate stat to determine the best goalie's

in the league.

Where is the bashing? It is true that Price is just as good, It is true that they did not need to pay 2 starters, IIt is true that Huet

blows hot and cold (January HOT/February COLD/March HOT) and It is true that he gave up some bad goals (almost none of which you deemed soft)

and it is true that midway through the season he was below 50% on his shootout attempts.

So if you are lumping me in with the Huet bashers (which you have before), please explain to me at which point I bashed him?

I know JMMR is not a fan, but he has made some valid points about Huet's abilities.

You may have a problem with people who "Bad mouth" Huet, but you exist on the other side of the spectrum and do not provide the unbiased

perspective that you believe you do.

I disagree with much of what you say here, but I will enjoy reading your views next year if Price has a bad month (like almost every goalie does) as your logic will dictate that he is not a very good goalie, no better then Huet. :) God forbid we don't win the cup this year and Price lets in a softie, I guess that means he sucks too.

I have always maintained that your evidence that Huet folds like cheap tent is very tenuous. It seems to be based on one bad goal a few years ago in a series we were already losing, his first game back after an injury against the leafs (which should be blamed on the coach for not starting Halak) and your unreasonable expectations that a goalie can't have bad games. (note, the bad games have much to do with the head games played with both Price and Huet, ie.. not knowing you can have a bad game and still be number 1). I would argue that Huet has just proven much more then Price. Price cruised to victory with a team who has already locked up the playoffs (pretty much) and was playing well. He was not playing on a team that could not afford to lose a single game. Huet just went 11-2 in 13 starts, everyone of them a pressure cooker. He started by shutting out Brodeur 4-0. None of the haters want to discuss this, as it blows wholes in their view that he "can't win the big games".

If Price keeps up at this pace, I will be more then happy to admit that we made out just fine without Huet. At the time of the discussion, Price's numbers were not that great, he had already been sent back to the minors once, and Huet a star for his play in January). I also stated several times that I saw a difference between signing a 4 year contract, and keeping the player four years. I never said that I didn't think Price would be ready until four or five years was up.

As for my bias, I don't love Huet as much as you think I do, but I dont' think he sucks either. You mistake something in my views. I don't love a rookie for their potential, I love them for what they do. I am very excited about Price, and many other rookies. But I don't start assuming they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and stop dumping on the vets that are performing. This is the same as last year when some people were all "Lats is the next great power forward, Ryder, Higgins, etc are in his way, he should be playing with Koivu every night". My view was, he has potential, but he needs to win the job, not get the job. This year, some of his greatest fans think he sucks. He was never as good, or as bad, as people make out.