Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Anyone new about the Gaborik rumours?

Anything new on Sundin?

Edited by Zowpeb

This whole Gaborik rumor smells like a bag of poop. It ain't shit !

Its just rumors but Im listening to the RDS.ca theory on the possibility... it doesnt mean it is happening but they think it wouldnt be a bad or a wrong choice.

Its scary but if Gaborik agrees to sign for long period if traded to MTL I don't think it would be too far fetched that Gainey trades 2 top 6 forwards from our top lines for him. Koivu and Higgins for example ....and prospects. or conditional picks if he signs.

Its scary to me cause Gaborik is 26 years young and a player to build around. I don't like it cause I don't wanna see this trade happen and Gainey would have to be really put against the wall this is a player that would sign a multiple 6 or 8 years at 8 mil per year and he would fetch over 10 mil in the off season.

I wouldn't trade 2 of our top 6 players plus picks for Gaborik...too many injury concerns.

He's talented, without question, but given that he's almost assured to keep missing time he'll end up way overpayed.

I also don't think he's worth as much as 2 of our top 6 players and picks even when healthy.

Its just rumors but Im listening to the RDS.ca theory on the possibility... it doesnt mean it is happening but they think it wouldnt be a bad or a wrong choice.

Its scary but if Gaborik agrees to sign for long period if traded to MTL I don't think it would be too far fetched that Gainey trades 2 top 6 forwards from our top lines for him. Koivu and Higgins for example ....and prospects. or conditional picks if he signs.

Its scary to me cause Gaborik is 26 years young and a player to build around. I don't like it cause I don't wanna see this trade happen and Gainey would have to be really put against the wall this is a player that would sign a multiple 6 or 8 years at 8 mil per year and he would fetch over 10 mil in the off season.

Gaborik is a very good scoring winger (when heatlhy), but I don't think you can build a team around him. Also, he's asking for franchise-player money (which he isn't), and unlike Thornton and Iginla, he's not willing to accept less money to ensure that he's on a competive team (at least not with the defensive-minded Wild).

I would personally stay away from Gaborik... also, to come back to politics (I have to be very careful about what I say here), I strongly doubt that Bob Gainey would trade away Saku Koivu on the centennial year, especially not that for the forst time we have a contender, and that Koivu wasted his career with mediocre teams in Montreal; it would be a pretty low blow...

What bugs me aboiut these rumours is that they seem to be affecting Higgins. Poor guy! We finally have found a guy who's got the "CH" tatooed on his heart, and he's constantly mentionned in trade rumours. It must affect his psyche! I know i've said this often, but if you trade Higgins, your chances of re-signing Komisarek aren't as good.

Even though i'd like to get Gaborik, i wouldn't want him at any price. 2 of our top 6 forwards would be too much for me. I know that Gaborik is a true superstar in this league hoever, he is injured way too often. PLus we would be trapped with his HUGE salary for the next 8-10 years!

I would personally stay away from Gaborik... also, to come back to politics (I have to be very careful about what I say here), I strongly doubt that Bob Gainey would trade away Saku Koivu on the centennial year, especially not that for the forst time we have a contender, and that Koivu wasted his career with mediocre teams in Montreal; it would be a pretty low blow...

Agreed!

Edited by Habsfan

Gaborik is a very good scoring winger (when heatlhy), but I don't think you can build a team around him. Also, he's asking for franchise-player money (which he isn't), and unlike Thornton and Iginla, he's not willing to accept less money to ensure that he's on a competive team (at least not with the defensive-minded Wild).

I agree entirely... Just you wonder when does a GM that has a cup contender team say ok I dont need anyone else! or that the team is good enough! !??!?!If the wild would be happy with say Higgins or Lats and Pacioretty and/or Mcdough or other prospects and conditional picks.... You got to understand that picking Gaborsick up also means no other team in the East will pick him up either

It needs to be mentioned again that although it'd be great to move just one core roster player + picks/prospects, it just can't be done. Gaborik has a cap hit of 6.33 M, and the Habs, if the roster stayed as is (that's with Carle on it eating cap space away daily), the Habs would have less than 1.2 M in space at year's end. Considering that a team needs some injury cushion space, the team would pretty much have to send at least 5.5 M back in salary (since Carle's concussion should heal at some point so he could then be sent down). That, or find ways to move out the less desirable contracts.

For the sake of discussion, let's use Higgins as the roster forward going back since his name has been bandied about the most. There's 1.7 there, still gotta find 3.8 (Bouillon and Dandenault, a pair of easy targets to get rid of) make 3.6. Worst comes to worst, you could probably make due swallowing the 200k difference. So, something needs to be done with those 2 before anything with Gaborik (or any other marquee player) gets done. Buyouts are not an option and the organization isn't going to foot a 6M payroll in Hamilton (I think if they were to waive Dandenault, they'd have done so already.)

Long story short, there's a lot more to it than just moving a roster player + picks and prospects to get a deal like this done, and that's something no one seems to be noticing.

or "no reason to play him by precaution measures until he's traded" ?

I really really like Higgins, but Gaborik is a first-class scorer. Gaborik would fit really well on the line with our 2 first-class playmakers.

Read this: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...-de-gaborik.php

If it's true that Gabo turned down 8M$ for 10 years and is a prima dona, f**k him. I dont want that type on the team, no matter how talented he could be.

The Canadiens must have a cap exception in this, their 100th year. LOL

Seriously, this is all fantasyland unless the Wild take some serious dollars back the other way. Either that, or guys like Dandy and Begin will be minor-leagued. I don't know the numbers off-hand, but Gaborik fitting in here in terms of cap is a major, major stretch.

But what about the cap? Does anyone take into account the cap? Doesn't make sense as such.

well as stated before the Wild would gladly help in that domain but it wouldnt be dead weight! those 6 mil would be maybe one semi-productive players ... just think of what does Gainey have iin depth that could be replaced right away.... or in another form (who can Chipchura, Paccioretty, Weber, to name a few replace right now?) and u've solved the equation

LIKE I SAID GAINEY is not a low blow kind of guy but if presented with such an offer ... and Restating When is it enough? when ur a legitimate cup contender?!?!

While the thought of Gaborik on the team this year makes me drool, I think having 8M+ players long-term is not a formula for success. You need depth to be a cup contender, and that's just not possible when you pay guys near the league max. Picking up an 8M guy who's a rental player at the deadline makes sense though, as long as the price isn't ridiculous.

well as stated before the Wild would gladly help in that domain but it wouldnt be dead weight! those 6 mil would be maybe one semi-productive players ... just think of what does Gainey have iin depth that could be replaced right away.... or in another form (who can Chipchura, Paccioretty, Weber, to name a few replace right now?) and u've solved the equation

LIKE I SAID GAINEY is not a low blow kind of guy but if presented with such an offer ... and Restating When is it enough? when ur a legitimate cup contender?!?!

Higgs at 1.9

Dandy at 1.75 (why would they want him?)

Bouillon at 1.875 (same question)

Begs at 1.3

Halak at 0.75

I mean, adding them all up only barely gets you over, and there's no way in hell Risebrough is crazy enough to take all or even most of those donuts (Higgsy excluded). That means you have to ship someone with fairly substantial salary. Kostitsyn? Koivu (and his NTC)? Or do you ship someone you just picked up: Tangs or Lang? I'm not discounting this rumour, I'm just saying, this is a major, major stretch. No doubt we have replacements, but who actually goes? Higgs, Halak and a 1st doesn't even lose us 2M in salary.

are you insinuating that saku would go to minnie to play with mikka hmm that could happen, and may not be considered a low blow since saku has a no trade clause and would have to approve any trade. Saku is about as injury prone as gabby so that might make some sense. But not Higgins no way! Halak ok. to get gaborik and give saku a chance to play with mikka I could MAYBE see that but not Higgins dammit.

are you insinuating that saku would go to minnie to play with mikka hmm that could happen, and may not be considered a low blow since saku has a no trade clause and would have to approve any trade. Saku is about as injury prone as gabby so that might make some sense. But not Higgins no way! Halak ok. to get gaborik and give saku a chance to play with mikka I could MAYBE see that but not Higgins dammit.

Koivu would be the one player that would solve the equation (only because it might be the only team right now Koivu would lift his NTC) but I don't even think Gainey will even ponder offering that option to Koivu... and I think Gainey and Carbo like having 3 top centremen in the team I'm not sure Chips has got it to ake the jump to a number 3 line just yet be he could... I think if the wild wanna dance then they have to take at least one of Bouillon or Dandy or Begin plus the (top forward being i.e. Higgins and Halak if they do need Halak...) the team will have to waver the other one(s) and send him(them) to Hamilton if no one takes him(them) (obviously a 3 team or more deal might be in the works) and they could be moved everywhere....

I'm also wondering why the Wild would even want Halak. Sure he is a good goalie but they also have some good goalies there as well in Backstrom and Harding.

you can never have too many good young goaltenders except maybe us?

Read this: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...-de-gaborik.php

If it's true that Gabo turned down 8M$ for 10 years and is a prima dona, f**k him. I dont want that type on the team, no matter how talented he could be.

He is a goal scorer that turned down 8mill for 10 years of hockey in a defensive minded system.

That doesn't make him a prima donna in my book, but a smart guy. He knows he will get the money where ever he signs, so why sign there?

Not much fun in that game for a goal scorer. Now Montreal's current system, that is fun and worth signing in....Possible, but I won't hold my breath. Bob doesn't leak much as we all know.

He is a goal scorer that turned down 8mill for 10 years of hockey in a defensive minded system.

That doesn't make him a prima donna in my book, but a smart guy. He knows he will get the money where ever he signs, so why sign there?

Not much fun in that game for a goal scorer. Now Montreal's current system, that is fun and worth signing in....Possible, but I won't hold my breath. Bob doesn't leak much as we all know.

The Habs don't need an 8M player to win the Stanley Cup. Especially locked in for 10 years

Let him follow the money.

I would prefer they keep this team together and use their money on 2-3 players instead

of an injury prone player.

This is not fantasy sports. People need to get over the love of big name players.

The Habs don't need an 8M player to win the Stanley Cup. Especially locked in for 10 years

Let him follow the money.

I would prefer they keep this team together and use their money on 2-3 players instead

of an injury prone player.

This is not fantasy sports. People need to get over the love of big name players.

+1