Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

There was a lot of scout at the Boston-Habs last preseason game and it kinded

brewed over Montreal when the focus was probably on Marc Savard being on

the trade market.

In the same article it was mentionned that MaxPac

This being said our left D is not in bad shape if Gorges plays is natural side.

Right D O'byrne cannot be moved unless Komisarek has a contract extension signed.

Still on the Habs fourth liner will have to be dumped for his own good.

As much as I'd like to get rid of Dandy's contract, I think O'Byrne will be that #4 D that we seek very soon. Is such a lateral move rational, especially with Ryan's size and potential upside?

Agreed. I don't mind if the Habs don't win the cup this year. I'd rather Bob make sure that we have a contender for the next 10 years, rather than put all his eggs into the same basket(cup in 2008/2009).

O'Byrne will become a solid 4th d-man within the next 2-3 years. We need to be patient with him, just like we were with Komisarek. Don't forget, O'Byrne is taller than Komo. Can you imagine what kind of Monster he will turn into when he reaches his physical maturity (27-28 years old)??? He's currently listed at 6'5" and 228 pds. He'll easily add another 10 pounds by then. That would mean that we will have 2 d-men at 6'4" and close to 240 pds...WOW!!!

There was a lot of scout at the Boston-Habs last preseason game and it kinded

brewed over Montreal when the focus was probably on Marc Savard being on

the trade market.

According a few reporters, there were approx 15 scouts at the Habs-Bruins game, and another 16 scouts at the Habs-Red Wings game!

Boston, Montreal and Detroit are all teams that have assets to unload. I seriously doubt O'Byrne gets traded. He's only going to get better as the season goes on and his size is a huge plus. Moving him would be crazy talk.

Boston, Montreal and Detroit are all teams that have assets to unload. I seriously doubt O'Byrne gets traded. He's only going to get better as the season goes on and his size is a huge plus. Moving him would be crazy talk.

Boston needs to keep their assests to strengthen for depth. They have a good core (Bergeron, Lucic, Kessel, Wheeler, Sobotka, Mark Stewart, Rask).

To be honest I wouldn't even put Boston in that group.

• 2 weeks later...
Ek has Higgins McDonagh and conditional #1 for Gaborik? Please don't shoot the messanger.

Ek has to finally get it through his head that McDonagh is going no where.

The only way he (McDonagh) moves is if a team massively overpays for him and there aren't many teams willing to do that anymore.

On a logic note.... where do we get the cap space to pay Gaborik what he is getting now let alone the $8+Million he is looking for?

Ek has Higgins McDonagh and conditional #1 for Gaborik? Please don't shoot the messanger.

Any Gaborik trade won't happen until the 2nd half of the year. The Habs are WAY too tight to the cap right now to take on any salary. I've said this before, but I'll re-state it here: unless a roster move were to be made (sending Chipchura down, for example), or a regular of decent salary were to be suffer a long term injury could we even call Max Pacioretty up right now. We are that tight to the cap (under $250,000).

Both NHLnumbers and Cap Central have inaccurate totals for our cap situation. One doesn't account for Brisebois' bonus package, and the other doesn't include Mathieu Carle who is on regular IR. He could be placed on LTIR, but his $850k cap hit wouldn't allow us to call up Pacioretty or Weber since they both have higher cap hits ($875k) than him. We'd have to make another move.

Actually, it's Higgins and McDonagh for Gaborik and a conditional 1st round pick from the Wild.

With the way we draft lately, this deal doesn't look all that bad to me.

Edited by sbhatt

I would prefer a different D man. McDonagh is a LD. I would give either Subban, Weber or Fisher. They are all RD. I don't know what side Emelin is.

Neither of those 4 are considered the prospect that McDonagh is.

Actually, it's Higgins and McDonagh for Gaborik and a conditional 1st round pick from the Wild.

With the way we draft lately, this deal doesn't look all that bad to me.

Are you joking? Higgins and McDonough for Gaborik AND a 1st round pick. NO way in hell does Minnesota approve this deal. Gaborik by himself is worth Higgins, McDonough and A 1st round pick!

PLus, how in the world do we make room for Gaborik on our salary cap? We are at less than 250,000 from the cap.

Gaborik will be looking for 10 million$ PER year on a 6 or 7 year deal!! I doubt we could afford that, not to mention, we would have to drop a few impact players on the team (to make room for Gaborik's huge salary)!

Edited by Habsfan

Are you joking? Higgins and McDonough for Gaborik AND a 1st round pick. NO way in hell does Minnesota approve this deal. Gaborik by himself is worth Higgins, McDonough and A 1st round pick!

PLus, how in the world do we make room for Gaborik on our salary cap? We are at less than 250,000 from the cap.

Gaborik will be looking for 10 million$ PER year on a 6 or 7 year deal!! I doubt we could afford that, not to mention, we would have to drop a few impact players on the team (to make room for Gaborik's huge salary)!

That's why I say any deal w/r/t Gaborik (to the Habs or otherwise) wouldn't happen until the 2nd half of the year. We'll have more cap space then as well as these injuries and roster moves sort themselves out. Right now there is absolutely no way to acquire a player like that.

As for next year, I ran some quick guestimates recently and had a cap hit of around $63m as an approximate area for what it would take to keep the current group of players together next year. The salary cap is not going to rise $7m this year with the problems with the US economy and the CDN dollar's recent slide. I'm thinking an early best case scenario is about a $3m bump for the cap from the current level. Plugging in Gaborik at $8m would definitely mean goodbye to probably 3-4 mid to high priced veterans instead of maybe just 1.

I think that's a tough call, especially since this group has had some good success together so far.

The only way this happens is if we dump Bouillon and Dandenault and I don't like the idea of no Frankie. Where else is the salary dump going to come from? They didn't acquire Lang to trade him for Gaborik. That'd be dumb of Minny anyway. Lang is a rental for our run. Minny has other plans. Lang doesn't fit there. Saku Koivu? Kovalev? Both are likely the farthest thing from the Wilds intentions. Why would they dump a UFA to get one?

The rest of the money dumps could be Markov or Hamrlik. :wacko: Yeah, (being faceitious) let's cut up our defence to bring in a soft playoff player. :blink: Let's take on all this money so we can set ourselves up to fail to sign Komi. :puke:

NO THANKS! :angry:

(PS. all anger directed solely at EK)

Gab is great but not worth 10 mil a year, not even close, i say more around 7-8 is reasonable. And i say why look for someone now, lets wait untill the trade deadline, see what we are lacking in and go for what is needed to finish the season and win the cup rather than go on a hunch. What would happen ( i hate to say it ) if markov got injured and couldnt play the rest of the year? We would need a defensement with no room to get one. We have a team to compete for the cup and i say wait untill we see what we need before throwing everything away.

Edited by Father&Sonfans

That's why I say any deal w/r/t Gaborik (to the Habs or otherwise) wouldn't happen until the 2nd half of the year. We'll have more cap space then as well as these injuries and roster moves sort themselves out. Right now there is absolutely no way to acquire a player like that.

As for next year, I ran some quick guestimates recently and had a cap hit of around $63m as an approximate area for what it would take to keep the current group of players together next year. The salary cap is not going to rise $7m this year with the problems with the US economy and the CDN dollar's recent slide. I'm thinking an early best case scenario is about a $3m bump for the cap from the current level. Plugging in Gaborik at $8m would definitely mean goodbye to probably 3-4 mid to high priced veterans instead of maybe just 1.

I think that's a tough call, especially since this group has had some good success together so far.

Let Gaborik and his injuries go somewhere else for big bucks.

Gainey is fostering a loyal family atmosphere here and will not shelve it for a selfish

individual whose salary demands will push out 3-4 loyal players.

People need to realize this is not fantasy hockey and drop the dreams of the offensive superstar.

Has nobody learned the lessons of the Lightning and Penguins?

Be patient and let this team grow together. The core is made up of NHL babies and the team has

a bunch more kids on the farm. This is not a make or break season.

Gab is great but not worth 10 mil a year, not even close, i say more around 7-8 is reasonable.

I agree, but that doesn't mean he won't get it from someone. Does anyone actuially believe that Streit was worth 20 million$ over 4 or 5 years. Hell no, but he got it!

per normal I think EK is full of sh!t. We are not trading Higgins who will score 30 to 40 goals for a guy who will score 30-40 goals it makes no sense we do not have the cap room nor do we need a guy who wants 8-10 million per year Lets let the Rangers have him, they are very good at overpaying. And thats an E5

per normal I think EK is full of sh!t. We are not trading Higgins who will score 30 to 40 goals for a guy who will score 30-40 goals it makes no sense we do not have the cap room nor do we need a guy who wants 8-10 million per year Lets let the Rangers have him, they are very good at overpaying. And thats an E5

He's put toghther many dumb rumors and honestly probably 1% of them actually happen.

He's been wrong about Sundin all summer and his latest rumor was Savard for Bieksa straight up :huh::huh:

He's put toghther many dumb rumors and honestly probably 1% of them actually happen.

He's been wrong about Sundin all summer and his latest rumor was Savard for Bieksa straight up :huh::huh:

Why people post his ramblings is beyond me. The guy proves that you don't have to have any

substance to what you post, people will still read.

To me he reminds me of weightloss infomericals. He knows that all of the habs fanbase wanted Sundin

and if he tells them what they want to hear they will come to read and hope he is right. Just like a weight

loss commercial that says sit on your ass, eat these pills and eat what you want and you will look like a

supermodel.

People buy that shit, same with Eklund. They buy his shit enough to get the guy enough web

hits in order for him to make a living off contrived nonsensical rumours.

He promises the moon and never delivers. He is a snake oil salesman and every person who reads his

site and post his BS rumours on another forum only continue to line his pockets.

Edited by Wamsley01

Why people post his ramblings is beyond me. The guy proves that you don't have to have any

substance to what you post, people will still read.

To me he reminds me of weightloss infomericals. He knows that all of the habs fanbase wanted Sundin

and if he tells them what they want to hear they will come to read and hope he is right. Just like a weight

loss commercial that says sit on your ass, eat these pills and eat what you want and you will look like a

supermodel.

People buy that shit, same with Eklund. They buy his shit enough to get the guy enough web

hits in order for him to make a living off contrived nonsensical rumours.

He promises the moon and never delivers. He is a snake oil salesman and every person who reads his

site and post his BS rumours on another forum only continue to line his pockets.

and he has the greatest excuse when they don't happen "it's a rumour someone told me this I can't help it if it didn't happen."

He should maybe stop talking to maggie the monkey and his dog. Hey Ek these are not reliable sources no matter how much you like them. :ghg: :lol:

The second half of your post answers the first half. No one is going to pay Higgins, McDonagh and a 1st for a rental. Gaborik isn't too different from Hossa and he costed Esposito, Armstrong, Christensen and a late 1st. Pittsburgh hurt themselves with that deal even though they didn't even give up any pieces of their core. We would be giving up a core player in Higgins, a future top pairing defenceman in McDonagh and then a late 1st. The last time we had a late 1st, we got Pacioretty.

I still don't know if it's worth it - signing Gaborik to that contract will likely mean losing some of Kovalev, Koivu and Tanguay next year. (My prediction is we win the Cup and Saku retires.)

Montreal shouldn't be looking to bring in any more forwards and I don't think Gainey is.