Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn’t mind moving both - especially if Danault did turn down the offer that has been reported.  I really think we need an upgrade on D.  We probably lose both as UFA’s anyways and than lose another player in the expansion draft.

Even though our D is a weakness, I think we probably lose a dman or Allen.  At this point is I’d leave Chariot and Edmondson exposed over even a younger player like Mete. The only locks to protect are Petry and Weber.

If the team is in a playoff spot at the deadline, I dont trade either of them. Unless its to free up cap space for an improvement at the deadline.  Not picks or prospects though. I want a deep team in the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

If the team is in a playoff spot at the deadline, I dont trade either of them. Unless its to free up cap space for an improvement at the deadline.  Not picks or prospects though. I want a deep team in the playoffs. 

Nobody is going to be giving up impact players at the deadline, though. Unless they are doing a rebuild, in which case they won't be interested in a Danault or a Tatar.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Nobody is going to be giving up impact players at the deadline, though. Unless they are doing a rebuild, in which case they won't be interested in a Danault or a Tatar.

Then you keep the depth for playoffs.

23 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I’m actually suggesting making moves to solidify the backend for the playoffs - not making moves to clear up cap space. Unless the deals can make is better THIS year, I wouldn’t

want to make a move. Like I’ve been saying since the start of the season, with the divisional format this year, this is one of our beat opportunities to get to the final four- I do see our D as a weakness.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think you need to make more than one move. Move players to USA based teams and see if you can upgrade the D from a the non-Ottawa team that looks like they are out. Quarantine rules make it difficult to being in a player in the shortened season - unless something was done right away during this off week - which is too early since the only team that is definitely going to be out is Ottawa.

I’m watching Buffalo and jersey play and the announcers are talking about Eichel trade rumours and I’m wondering if there is anyway to make a trade happen. 

his cap hit is 10 million a season for 7 more seasons I believe 

I consider Eichel to be an elite centre and I would be willing to include Suzuki. Not sure how to make the cap work. 

Suzuki

Caufield

first

Cap - Byron, Tatar

Not sure this would get it done 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Suzuki

Caufield

first

Cap - Byron, Tatar

I dont know Eichels play at all, but at least you have a realistic offer of what it might cost (and not a heap of bit pieces).

1 minute ago, DON said:

I dont know Eichels play at all, but at least you have a realistic offer of what it might cost (and not a heap of bit pieces).

He is close to Mathews as far as skill IMO. Mathews is better but Eichel is close and a massive upgrade over Suzuki (and we all love Suzuki). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He is close to Mathews as far as skill IMO. Mathews is better but Eichel is close and a massive upgrade over Suzuki (and we all love Suzuki). 

No question he is elite, just don't know how the Habs would fit his  $10million a year into the cap, a lot of pieces would have to move. I am sure the Sabres would love to move Skinner and his $9m/year for another 6 years after this one. Likely not too many takers there. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m watching Buffalo and jersey play and the announcers are talking about Eichel trade rumours and I’m wondering if there is anyway to make a trade happen. 

I consider Eichel to be an elite centre and I would be willing to include Suzuki. Not sure how to make the cap work. 

Suzuki

Caufield

first

Cap - Byron, Tatar

I’d keep Suzuki.  KK, Caufield, Byron and Tatar and a first.  Allows Buffalo to move Tatar for at least a 2nd at the deadline - potentially more. Maybe even go all in fir the year and offer up Danault (who they can probably move for at least another first),  another first and second for Hall as part of the package. We’d need to send more salary the other way to make it happen. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He is no question better than Suzuki. But is trade Suzuki and can’t resign Danault for a reasonable number, do we risk having the same issues as the Sabres?  Lack of depth at Centre and enough insulation for Eichal.

skill wise, I’d say it’s McDavid, Matthews, and Draisaitl before Eichel among the new young centres.  Patterson may even end up being better.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d keep Suzuki.  KK, Caufield, Byron and Tatar and a first.  Allows Buffalo to move Tatar for at least a 2nd at the deadline - potentially more. Maybe even go all in fir the year and offer up Danault (who they can probably move for at least another first),  another first and second for Hall as part of the package. We’d need to send more salary the other way to make it happen. 

More salary?  That's a huge understatement.  You're bringing in $18M and sending out what, a little over $11M?  How do you plan to make up that $7M?  And no, the solution isn't to just tell Buffalo to retain money.  I think you're in the reasonable neighbourhood on the Eichel proposal (though Tatar probably doesn't fetch a 2nd rounder when there are only a couple of playoff teams that can afford him) but there's no way to make up that much money without absolutely gutting the roster.  But even on the Eichel part of the proposal, it doesn't work cap-wise when you factor in having to bring up two players to replace the three going out for one.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

More salary?  That's a huge understatement.  You're bringing in $18M and sending out what, a little over $11M?  How do you plan to make up that $7M?  And no, the solution isn't to just tell Buffalo to retain money.  I think you're in the reasonable neighbourhood on the Eichel proposal (though Tatar probably doesn't fetch a 2nd rounder when there are only a couple of playoff teams that can afford him) but there's no way to make up that much money without absolutely gutting the roster.  But even on the Eichel part of the proposal, it doesn't work cap-wise when you factor in having to bring up two players to replace the three going out for one.

Not really meant as a serious proposal, more musing what would be nice. I don’t think this is a year you could even consider making a mii you lit-player deal to a USA team even if you could make the dollars work - can you imagine shipping 3-4 players out and having to wait 14 days to get the new players into the lineup.  There is just too much time required for the quarantine period and getting the tram to gel and hope the chemistry experiment doesn’t blow up i your face.

Having said that, tonight’s game was an example of what having a couple elite level players can take over and get big goals on the PP when needed. It hurts to see the Leafs with someone like Matthews, let alone the having M&M combo.

I do see Buffalo moving Hall, since given how it’s gone in Buffalo, there is absolute zero chance that Hall would want to resign. I also think given the cap situation for the teams that would want to Hall, Buffalo I’ll need to eat salary and contracts to make a deal happen.  If Hall doesn’t pick things up soon, they will probably make a move earlier rather than later, to avoid ending up with the type of return that Garth (at least I’m not as dumb as Milbury) Snow got for Vanek.

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... can you imagine shipping 3-4 players out and having to wait 14 days to get the new players into the lineup.  There is just too much time required for the quarantine period and getting the tram to gel and hope the chemistry experiment doesn’t blow up i your face ...

Two weeks ago was the optimal time for Habs to deal because of Habs being off last week ... but if trading a player plus picks/prospects for a player that would improve the team for the stretch run and playoffs (obviously sufficiently balancing cap hits) then MB will still have to consider it ... hopefully towards the trade deadline the Feds may have considered allowing a modified isolation with frequent testing (e.g., the person has a negative test before leaving the US, quarantines in an approved facility upon arrival and tests negative every day for another 7 days).

NOTE: Not just for hockey players

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I do see Buffalo moving Hall, since given how it’s gone in Buffalo, there is absolute zero chance that Hall would want to resign.

From TSN just three days ago:

Because right now there is mutual interest between Taylor Hall, his camp, and the Buffalo Sabres to discuss an extension when the time is right.

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-what-does-the-future-hold-for-taylor-hall-1.1595207

(Time is right refers to the first day of eligibility which is March 12th this season.)

If they can't agree on an extension though, then yes, he'll almost certainly be on the move.

The challenge in considering possible trades is that, due to quarantine with the US,  they make the most sense within the division ... but the only teams that currently might be looking to be traders are Ottawa and Vancouver ... and not certain Habs would want/need anyone those teams would be likely to trade ...

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

From TSN just three days ago:

Because right now there is mutual interest between Taylor Hall, his camp, and the Buffalo Sabres to discuss an extension when the time is right.

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-what-does-the-future-hold-for-taylor-hall-1.1595207

(Time is right refers to the first day of eligibility which is March 12th this season.)

If they can't agree on an extension though, then yes, he'll almost certainly be on the move.

I really don’t get Hall! Didn’t get say he wanted to play for a contender during his UFA year in NJ?  I get him signing a 1 yr deal in Buffalo, with not enough offers for long term deals.  But with the way both him and the team has played, why would he WANT to sign and extension???

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really don’t get Hall! Didn’t get say he wanted to play for a contender during his UFA year in NJ?  I get him signing a 1 yr deal in Buffalo, with not enough offers for long term deals.  But with the way both him and the team has played, why would he WANT to sign and extension???

Perhaps, between the flat cap and his being on pace for 4 goals this season (6 goals in an 82 game season) Hall may see no likelihood of a strong market for his services this summer ... 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps, between the flat cap and his being on pace for 4 goals this season (6 goals in an 82 game season) Hall may see no likelihood of a strong market for his services this summer ... 

you would think the guy wants more than what 1, 2 trips to the playoffs??  I do like Krueger as a choice for coach and having Eichel and Dahlin as great pieces fir a core, but they have got incredibly stupid ownership, some horrible contracts like the Skinner contract, and deserve all the misfortune they have for the way they treated Lafontaine!

Since its Hockey30, I decided it isn't really a rumour (couldn't find corroboration, maybe from a radio interview) 

https://hockey30.com/nouvelles/tanner-pearson-a-montreal-selon-friedman/

Pearson is a pending UFA with a $3.75M cap-hit ... looking at cap comparables

1. Tartar for Pearson would free up $1.05M in cap space ... scoring downgrade but maybe more of a physical game 
  2. Gallagher for Pearson would be a long-term, regret the extension move ... MB would never make it ... 
  3. Byron for Pearson might require a "plus" from Habs to get rid of the other two years of the deal

1 & 3 are possibilities ... but they don't address the biggest issue IMO, the defence corps

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Since its Hockey30, I decided it isn't really a rumour (couldn't find corroboration, maybe from a radio interview) 

https://hockey30.com/nouvelles/tanner-pearson-a-montreal-selon-friedman/

Pearson is a pending UFA with a $3.75M cap-hit ... looking at cap comparables

1. Tartar for Pearson would free up $1.05M in cap space ... scoring downgrade but maybe more of a physical game 
  2. Gallagher for Pearson would be a long-term, regret the extension move ... MB would never make it ... 
  3. Byron for Pearson might require a "plus" from Habs to get rid of the other two years of the deal

1 & 3 are possibilities ... but they don't address the biggest issue IMO, the defence corps

I don't get the logic of picking up Pearson.  We need a top pairing Dman. Tatar for another expiring contract and middle six/bottom six player doesn't make sense. Trading Gallagher is not a regret move, it would be a stupid move. Frankly, trading Gallaghar and Tatar SHOULD yield a very good dman.  Hell Gallaghar alone has value to get a high quality man.  Not sure if i'd want to make move him, just because he has not had a great year.  His line has not produced and a lot of that is on Danault.

If we are making any trades, it has to be to address the D.  I don't know why there are still calls for more physical play???? We got the big, bruising dmen everyone wanted.  How has that worked out?  They are too slow for today's game.  Now, I would trade Weber, Gallaghar and Price for Quinn Hughes from Vancouver (would not work salary cap wise), but just trying to emphasis the type of player i want. Skilled, puck moving, dynamic Dman.  Don't care how much he weighs, or  how small he is perceived to be.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't get the logic of picking up Pearson.  We need a top pairing Dman. Tatar for another expiring contract and middle six/bottom six player doesn't make sense. Trading Gallagher is not a regret move, it would be a stupid move. Frankly, trading Gallaghar and Tatar SHOULD yield a very good dman.  Hell Gallaghar alone has value to get a high quality man.  Not sure if i'd want to make move him, just because he has not had a great year.  His line has not produced and a lot of that is on Danault.

If we are making any trades, it has to be to address the D.  I don't know why there are still calls for more physical play???? We got the big, bruising dmen everyone wanted.  How has that worked out?  They are too slow for today's game.  Now, I would trade Weber, Gallaghar and Price for Quinn Hughes from Vancouver (would not work salary cap wise), but just trying to emphasis the type of player i want. Skilled, puck moving, dynamic Dman.  Don't care how much he weighs, or  how small he is perceived to be.

Agree ... but the habs are not going to get a elite puck mover in-season, or off-season without it REALLY hurting in terms of assets paid ... one advantage of the Tartar-Pearson trade would be more cap space to make another move for a D-corps upgrade, but not a long-term solution

29 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree ... but the habs are not going to get a elite puck mover in-season, or off-season without it REALLY hurting in terms of assets paid ... one advantage of the Tartar-Pearson trade would be more cap space to make another move for a D-corps upgrade, but not a long-term solution

I agree that the D is our main problem (although suckage from key veterans at FW has been a serious issue this season). Before making big moves, I would at least first try some decent configurations on D. STOP WITH THE CHIAROT-WEBER PAIRING for starters. It's not working.

On 2/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Suzuki

Caufield

first

Cap - Byron, Tatar

Are you crazy way over payment Caufield is going to be a great goal scorer in this league wouldn't trade him.

I would try and get a 1st and 2nd round pick for Tatar and a 1st and 2nd round pick for danault at then deadline try and trade Byron, so we can have great cap space going Into free agency.

Then at the draft we  would have the draft picks to trade for a elite player. 

We need to build around our future top line of Caufield/Suzuki/Anderson