Mar. 13, Habs vs Flames, 7 PM

dlbalr

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Weber and Kulak too ... ;) ... :D

Don't know that ANY lineup shuffling would make a difference ... maybe have Carey strip off the pads and play up?

That’s it. Shuffling D pairings, playing Frolik etc, none of that would have won this game.

Ducharme needs to figure out why the couldn’t do anything against the Flames.

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

They deserve a 6am bag skate for that 'effort'

I think the worst effort of the Ducharme era. On Thursday I could understand it, but what’s the excuse tonight?

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Also intrigued and interested in how the Habs will turn it around before the season is done and MB is fired: which would mark years of painful reconstruction again

Hard to go into a true rebuild with Weber turning 36 next season and Petry and Price 34 ... with those three taking up 29% of the cap ... add in the turning 29yrs-old Gallagher's new $6.5M contract and those 4 take up 37% of the cap ... IMO it would have to be more of a reload or a complete teardown

Petry honest post game ... no excuse for the way we played

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1370929564755562504?s=20

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Hard to go into a true rebuild with Weber turning 36 next season and Petry and Price 34 taking up 29% of the cap, add in the turning 29yrs-old Gallagher's new $6.5M contract and those 4 take up 37% of the cap ... it would have to be a reload or a complete teardown

And if Bergevin had been fired a year ago, ahead of the trade deadline, what would The New Dream GM have done to make us a much better team? Keep Kovalchuk and Scandella? Not trade for Anderson? Trade away Gallagher instead of extending him? Not sign Toffoli, Perry or Allen? Would any if that make this ream substantially better?

I don’t think there is any quick fix for any GM to make this team different AND better. It’s the current path or else burn it all down snd start over.

Personally, I think Ducharme deserves some more time to get thus team sorted out.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And if Bergevin had been fired a year ago, ahead of the trade deadline, what would The New Dream GM have done to make us a much better team? Keep Kovalchuk and Scandella? Not trade for Anderson? Trade away Gallagher instead of extending him? Not sign Toffoli, Perry or Allen? Would any if that make this ream substantially better?  
Water under the bridge ... MB will be judged based on what happens THIS season

I don’t think there is any quick fix for any GM to make this team different AND better. It’s the current path or else burn it all down snd start over. I totally agree ... the IMO gutless choice would be a tweaking re-tool

Personally, I think Ducharme deserves some more time to get thus team sorted out. I also agree, and don't see him not finishing the season ... but IMO his bosses' job depends on how the playoffs play out and that means, fairly or not, his does as well.

How many years can a GM miss the playoffs? 

MB made some good moves and bad moves, 

the bottom line is wins, and MB is the GM of team that doesn't win very often. He was gifted a playoff run last year. 5th worst team in the league. 

Yeah, not disagreeing, GHT120,  my first point really was that I don’t expect that a new GM would suddenly start making trades massively tilted in the Habs’ favour or signing UFAs who won’t come here now. And our big contracts are what they are, as you pointed out, and the cap is flat.

Feel sorry for Ducharme ... what can he (or any coach) say

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1370933284721541123?s=20

Suzuki sent into the in-game concussion protocol by NHL spotter but says he never felt any symptoms

He had a choice... sell assets and load up with picks... let the team tank and get great young talent..

I think the real issue is he keeps thinking he is a trade or two away frOm a top tier team.  They were a few trades away from a bubble team... failure to initiate a real rebuild two years ago means several more years of mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, brobin said:

He had a choice... sell assets and load up with picks... let the team tank and get great young talent..

I think the real issue is he keeps thinking he is a trade or two away frOm a top tier team.  They were a few trades away from a bubble team... failure to initiate a real rebuild two years ago means several more years of mediocrity.

I don’t believe Molson wants to do a tank. And tanking is no guarantee of being able to draft a franchise player and build a contender: plenty of counter examples are available.

Ill take the sens situation over the habs. At least they have legit real talent. What it turns into is the question. 

The habs are just older with really bad contracts 

20 minutes ago, brobin said:

Oh yeah, the Buffalo Sabres recipe 🤞 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

Ill take the sens situation over the habs. At least they have legit real talent. What it turns into is the question. 

The habs are just older with really bad contracts 

Please go ahead and take the Sens over the Habs, I've lived in Ottawa for 20 years and witnessing their demise from the front row seat makes me feel completly differently.

• Like 1

Wow, demoralizing game. They get a pass for the previous game because of the dumb scheduling, but we kinda needed this one in order to keep Calgary securely in the review mirror. And the Flames suddenly look very strong.

This may be stating the obvious, but I’m worried about the D. With Weber CLEARLY regressing - which is a disaster, organizationally-speaking - and Chiarot hurt, we really have no D who are ultra-dependable in their own end. Edmunson, unbelievably, is probably the best of the bunch in this respect. Petry is a beast but prone to lapses in the D-zone. The rest are erratic. That is going to keep on hurting us...

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it is no guarantee but talent is talent.., the leafs are loaded.. Edmonton is loaded...

you still need to find solid goaltending and depth players and IMO, He is capable of that.. what is missing is top tier talent and unless you really get lucky, it is generally found in top picks.

Frankly, if they tanked they would still fill the barn... at least for a year or two... 

all that said, you have to draft well and trade assets well to be successful at that. Instead, he took a mediocre team and is treading water... this summer was better versus his previous years of finding fourth liners, but I don’t think we have a single player that would crack the leafs top line.

Unfortunately these turned out to be a couple four point games that vaulted the Flames back in the playoff race.

Our offense has really dried up, apart from against Vancouver and that 7 goal anomaly against Winnipeg. Suzuki has been ordinary ever since people started pencilling him in on their Canadian Olympic rostersa month ago.  No more unsustainable magic from Anderson and Toffoli.  KK is still a couple years away from whatever he's going to be, and Gallagher looks like a guy that you love on a sweetheart deal but isn't quite worth 6.5M.  

And yet we're still a team that, on paper, is built for the playoffs.  We just need to squeak in, and for the refs to swallow their whistles as usual, to give any team hell.   

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The Sabres have the same lousy player development as we do.  They are more of a mess from Bad trades and bad signings, but I’d still take Eichal and Dahlin to build around than anyone we’ve got. the Price and Weber contract may be as bad as the Skinner in another year.  Both have been poorly run franchises. One with ownership that has been making constant changes since screwing over Lafontaine.  The habs on the other hand under Molson have one of the longest tenured GM’s in the game who has pretty much done squat in actually building a competitor. He made some good moves with the offense (finally!) this summer, but didn’t address the glaring need for a top pairing dman.

I was pretty optimistic at the start of the year that the offence by committee and goaltending would be enough to overcome the crappy defense.  However the guys who should be leading - Weber, Price, Danault have been crap most of the year.  May not be bad to rebuild. Seems like a waste with finally having Taffoli and Anderson as legit top six wingers, but if the core that was supposed to lead - mountain man and the mr. Ice in net can’t lead, this team is going nowhere.

19 minutes ago, brobin said:

it is no guarantee but talent is talent.., the leafs are loaded.. Edmonton is loaded...

you still need to find solid goaltending and depth players and IMO, He is capable of that.. what is missing is top tier talent and unless you really get lucky, it is generally found in top picks.

Frankly, if they tanked they would still fill the barn... at least for a year or two... 

all that said, you have to draft well and trade assets well to be successful at that. Instead, he took a mediocre team and is treading water... this summer was better versus his previous years of finding fourth liners, but I don’t think we have a single player that would crack the leafs top line.

Yup. The damn leafs are loaded. They haven’t won a series and I hope they never do, but I’d take their or the oilers lineup overs ours. Both have multiple superstars.  Unfortunately I think the leafs Leafs will have more success after dumping Babcock.

Oilers have a lot of bad contracts weighing them down - much like the Sabres.  But I’ll take elite talent to build around any day.  As much as everyone loves Gallagher, who hear wouldn’t rather have the McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Marner, or Eichal. 

We haven’t had elite a truly elite superstar forward since Lafleur.

We are not as bad as some of these comments suggest. 

A good puck moving Dman to play with Weber would help a great deal. 

Getting that Dman would be costly because we would need to move salary to make it possible but it could be done. Moving Byron for example might cost us a pick or we could taxi squad him for the rest of the year. Maybe an injured Chairot is part of the deal. 

All things considered I would trade Weber if possible or if not possible I would expose him to Kraken. 

It’s time to build upon our new core. The old core is well too old. 

One thing I can say about Weber is that the last time he played this bad he had a bad ankle or knee and was eventually taken out of the lineup. Maybe he has the same old injury.