Sergei Samsonov

MAK

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, thank goodness that Aucoin deal didn't happen. Two more years of paying this guy $4 million? No thanks.

Next: 3.5 was a good deal on Gainey's part. Samsonov has sucked, but on the basis of the information last summer, I was overjoyed at Gainey landing this dude for 3.5. I was very excited to see SS in a Habs sweater. You can't call the summer signing stupid now: it was either smart then or stupid then.

Next: Yes, Carbonneau should have tried other combinations by this point in the season. The rationale for not breaking up Koivu-Ryder-Higgins, i.e. that they work so well together, has been caduque for some time. Koivu-Samsonov should at least have been tried. And yes, Bonk-Johnson-Samsonov was working, even producing goals, however little it showed up on Samsonov's stat sheet (other than the evident improvement in plus-minus). Bonk's goal against the Islanders had a lot to do with Samsonov's speed.

And no, Samsonov should not have been benched Sunday.

But yes, now that Samsonov has whined again, put him on waivers. Let him rot in Hamilton and fight for a spot in training camp next year, when he'll be in the last year of his contract (= goals). If somebody picks him off waivers, my only lament will be for the cap space he will continue to haunt. His whine before the Boston game in October was inexcusable, and his whine now shows he's unrepentant. Get that away from the team. But ideally, keep him in Hamilton without weighing against the cap, use the cap space for a renter who UFAs July 1st, and watch Samsonov earn his 3.5 next year.

This situation reminds me of a couple of misadventures in 2002-03:

Oleg Petrov: 53 gp 7 g 16 a 23 p

Traded to Nashville for a 6th rounder in February, then returned to the Swiss League at the end of the season.

Mariusz Czerkawski: 43 gp 5 g 9 a 14 p

Finished the season in Hamilton. One of Gainey's first moves was to buy out his contract. Scored 25 goals for the Islanders the following year, before groaning out a few post-lockout points for the Leafs and then the Bruins.

I think Samsonov is much more likely to be a Czerkawski than a Petrov.

Forget trades people, if any team wanted him Gainey would have traded him a while ago. Obviously no one did, so why would Chicago trade Smolinski for him? They could easily trade Smolinski for a pick somewhere else and pick up Samsonov for free...

Apparently someone told the Habs they'd take Sammy on re-entry waivers. (Eklund) This makes perfect sense to me. Half the salary? Means Montreal really has some room to make a splash in the coming days/weeks. And it's not like they don't have a ready-made filler for Sammy once he's gone. I'm sure Kosty could do the exact same job.

If this trade goes on : Sammy and Rivet for Aucoin, i think Bob will do a 2nd move including Abby, Perez/Ryder to go get a 2nd line center Forsbergh or someone like that. With Sammy gone and cap space, he has 2 choices : Go get a very good center player OR sign Markov AND Souray

Uhh.. hate to burst your bubble but Acuoin @ over 5 mil would prob mean the end of Souray with the CH

1. He's more of a playmaker than a goalscorer so his assists are probably more important than his goals

2. Thornton was also a playmaker - 2 playmakers on one line can be redundant sometimes

3. Boston got such a low return for Samsonov because he was going to become an UFA after the season (and were going to miss the playoffs).

4. Samsonov was an 8th overall pick, not 2nd. Thornton was 1st overall in the same draft.

1. Apparently we don't have any goal scorers which I thought is what we got him for. we have lots of playmakers.

2. see pt 1

3. He was also sucking at the time, and had ever since Thornton left.

4. sorry I stand corrected what I meant was a high first rounder with experience.

just my thoughts

Shows how much of a moron Eklund is....there are no recall waivers any more. A player can only be claimed on the way down to the minors, not on the way back up

If he clears waivers and the Habs want to create cap room then they are better off leaving him in Hamilton for the remainder of the season. If they just want to save the organization a bit of money for their bottom line then they will hope he gets claimed on re-entry waivers.

As for Kaos who said he cannot be claimed on re-entry waivers...that only applies to players making less the leagues average salary...I think. Any player making more (such as Nedved) can be claimed at half the cost of his remaining salary.

That's what I don't understand, it's not like he played as badly as Mariusz Czerkawski or something...he was on pace for 34 pts, shitty, but what do you expect if he's going to play third line minutes since he can't click with the second line centre?

1. Samsonov didn't play with Thornton. For the majority of the time they were split up with Thornton on the first line (later) and Samsonov on the second (earlier Thornton played on the bench).

2.Could be a trade that has some cap issues. So they place him on waivers (then get some nice cap room to make a trade involving prospects for UFA), place him on re-entry, take half the cap hit and then make a trade (different then the firs scenario), either to the team that took him, or a completely different one.

3.If 2 isn't true, then Carbo has to go. Samsonov has been playing well (basically as soon as they took him away from Kovalev) and then got benched for it.

Didn't he buy Theo's house? Maybe there's something up with that place. Just sayin... :unsure: lol

Oh no! It is very cold and icy out there, hope Sammy doesn't slip and fall........ :P

3.If 2 isn't true, then Carbo has to go. Samsonov has been playing well (basically as soon as they took him away from Kovalev) and then got benched for it.

Carbo may be the problem but I am sure Gainey is a little gun shy after axing Claude just to see him take the Devils higher and higher.

not to mention there seems to be the same symptoms as last year that lead up to CJ's firing. It may just be a coincidence but seems like the coach isn't the problem in Habland.

I have a feeling that washington will take him and lose Zednik. They have capspace and lose the Zednik salary (or a lower placed team will get him first)

I'm just dissapointed about this move, off all the underachievers the one that works hard goes to waivers. Sad...

Kovalev: TAKE NOTICE!!!!

pls dont get Forsberg pls dont get Forsberg, he wont last a week until he is injured badly again. If we think Koivu has been injured alot Forsberg is worse. Rather have Ribs back before I take Forsberg.

Am I the only one whos sad?

Samsonov even if hes underachieving, entertainment wise was the 2nd most entertaining player to me on the team.

I have a feeling that washington will take him and lose Zednik. They have capspace and lose the Zednik salary (or a lower placed team will get him first)

I'm just dissapointed about this move, off all the underachievers the one that works hard goes to waivers. Sad...

LOL kovalev has nothing to worry about.

With Souray gone next year, if we lose Kovalev we're in big trouble. Not only does he attract so much attention from other teams that it opens up space for his linemates but he's the reason the pp works as well.

If we lose Kovalev, were back in 8th next year and nothing in the playoffs.

Am I the only one whos sad?

Read better..

and we're not the only 2 i think!!

and I meant that Kovalev hasnt done more than Sammy this year, and Gainey doesnt give a shit about anything. Names/no names. Big players whatsoever. He wants a good performing team, and there are a lot of underachievers. Kovalev is an underachiever (for the money he makes). So this is a good example off gainey,Kovalev can be worked @ next. You never know..

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Read better..

and we're not the only 2 i think!!

and I meant that Kovalev hasnt done more than Sammy this year, and Gainey doesnt give a shit about anything. Names/no names. Big players whatsoever. He wants a good performing team, and there are a lot of underachievers. Kovalev is an underachiever (for the money he makes). So this is a good example off gainey,Kovalev can be worked @ next. You never know..

He has definitely done more then Sammy this year. 5 more goals, 14 more points... 2nd on the team in points (just like his salary). Very important to the 2nd or 3rd best pp in the league.

Also he woulda had LOTS more points had Pleks not sucked up the place in the 1st 3 months of the season.

On the other hand, if Sammy has been working hard and not producing, then what potential is there in the guy? If a guy is lazy and 3rd on the team in points (like Kovy), then perhaps he will be awesome in the playoffs, or can be motivated.

Sammy has been struggling for a couple years now and if it is not the work ethic, then why should you expect him to get any better...

Apparently Foppa has a new skate insert that feels fine. He says he feels 10 times better with no pain.

As for Sammy, I've defended him up til now to dumpSamsonov as well as others...

...Those days have NOW ENDED :angry:

:angry: @ Sammy

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

i must say im surprised by the move, but i guess gainey really wasnt bluffing when he said his patience for samsonov would last until february.

Even though he was looking better, he has of yet be almost wholly unable to convert any new found comfort/talent/work/chemistry/whatever into points.

It is odd that he was never really given a chance to play with koivu, especially once the first line slowed down.

Here's to hoping that this is the forerunner to a positive move for the habs...

Plekanec has been on fire recently, but havent seen any fire in Kovalev. So thats one for the dumpster..

Well both Pleks goals last game were created by Kovalev.

Beautiful pass to Lapierre from one side of the ice to the other and then beatiful move and wrister that he knew Fleury couldnt control and Pleks knocked in the rebound.

Also those 2 goals Pleks scored in early January vs Tampa Bay were because of Kovalev's beautiful setups as well...

So yeah... Kovalevs still making those plays he was making in the first 3 months of the season to Pleks but the difference is Pleks is finally cashing in.

Apparently Foppa has a new skate insert that feels fine. He says he feels 10 times better with no pain.

As for Sammy, I've defended him up til now to dumpSamsonov as well as others...

...Those days have NOW ENDED :angry:

:angry: @ Sammy

He has said that after every skate he has tried this season and the result still ended up the same.

He has to feel at least 100 times better before I feel like taking a chance on him.