• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kovalev:

17 games played

9 goals (on pace for 43)

7 assists (on pace for 34)

16 points (on pace for 77)

:hlogo:

I don't think we can say for sure Kovalev is a born again player for 2007-2008, but i know for sure we can say he's been born again for the last 17 games!

I don't think we can say for sure Kovalev is a born again player for 2007-2008, but i know for sure we can say he's been born again for the last 17 games!

Which is about 15 games longer than he managed to string together at any point last season ;)

Kovalev:

17 games played

9 goals (on pace for 43)

7 assists (on pace for 34)

16 points (on pace for 77)

:hlogo:

not to mention that as kostitsyn gets up to speed, Kovalev's assist opportunities should improve.

Great to see Komi get the OT goal because tonight he played like the player he was expected to become when we drafted him 7th overall: a general on the blueline. He's really coming into his own, not only by being physical but also by imposing "his law" in the defensive zone and being vocal after the whistle. He's showing good leadership and that goal was so sweet.

Markov: he might have been off his game, but kept in perspective I really dig the "new" Markov who shows lot more emotions than before. Look where he is in the stats for d-men: in the same group as Gonchar, Lidstrom, Zubov, Pronger & Rafalski. For once a guy signed to a big contract steps up to it.

Ryder: scratch him for once. Not only is he almost useless offensively, but he's also brutal defensively. He completely forgot to cover Breezer when he pinched, which lead to a 2-on-1. He's dragging down the whole line to the point where even Higgs and Koivu are snakebitten.

Plex & Kovy are really becoming a beauty to watch together. Their puck control in the offensive zone is awesome and you know they can make something out of nothing. Kosty is slowy getting up to pace. Can't wait when all 3 gel for real.

Chipchura is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Rarely makes a bad play. That great play he made on the PK starting into his own zone and turning it into 2 good scoring chances is the stuff you'd expect from a vet, not a rookie. The kid's gonna be solid for long.

All in all not as bad a game as people make it out to be. You make your own luck. After that heartwrenching lost to the Sens, Habs deserved a freebie.

nice call on chips. though he didnt get much ice, thought he was very solid (including a few moves in the O-zone). thought the forecheck just sucked - everyone's talking about ryder, but lats and smoke especially had weak games.

My prob is that Bouillon is just too small. He's not a terrible player, but he's just completely outreached on the puck and cannot handle a team with large forwards like the leafs. His hitting his solid, but if a big guy see's it coming, he will brace himself on the boards, Bouillon will bounce off and the big leaf forward easily corrals the puck and is a half step ahead of Bouillon winning the battle easily. Speaking as a defenceman myself, reach is a HUGE part of the defensive game, I know a few fellow defencemen (especially the stay at home types) who use ridiculously long sticks so they can magnify their poke checks and their ability to be first with ahandle on loose pucks. Bouillon doesnt make for a good dominate the puck stay at home defencemen, he's no skilled defencemen with offensive threat like Markov, Gonchar or Kubina, he's basically just a scrappy 4th line hitter like Begin, but on defence.

I guess he can be punishing against smaller teams, but the leafs forwards are the whole pretty large (and one of the few small guys, Wellwood, scored under his nose which earned him a benching), a puck playing stay at home dman liek Gorges woulda been a lot better out there tonight. Bouillon will definitely be outta here though when Gainy decides somone's ready and brings in another heavyweight like O'Bryen (or one of their 5 monster Dman draft picks of 2007) who completely dwarfs Bouillon's hitting role and brings a lot more to the table besides that.

Very well stated. Glad another fan sees why i do.

Great to see Komi get the OT goal because tonight he played like the player he was expected to become when we drafted him 7th overall: a general on the blueline. He's really coming into his own, not only by being physical but also by imposing "his law" in the defensive zone and being vocal after the whistle. He's showing good leadership and that goal was so sweet.

Markov: he might have been off his game, but kept in perspective I really dig the "new" Markov who shows lot more emotions than before. Look where he is in the stats for d-men: in the same group as Gonchar, Lidstrom, Zubov, Pronger & Rafalski. For once a guy signed to a big contract steps up to it.

Ryder: scratch him for once. Not only is he almost useless offensively, but he's also brutal defensively. He completely forgot to cover Breezer when he pinched, which lead to a 2-on-1. He's dragging down the whole line to the point where even Higgs and Koivu are snakebitten.

Plex & Kovy are really becoming a beauty to watch together. Their puck control in the offensive zone is awesome and you know they can make something out of nothing. Kosty is slowy getting up to pace. Can't wait when all 3 gel for real.

Chipchura is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Rarely makes a bad play. That great play he made on the PK starting into his own zone and turning it into 2 good scoring chances is the stuff you'd expect from a vet, not a rookie. The kid's gonna be solid for long.

All in all not as bad a game as people make it out to be. You make your own luck. After that heartwrenching lost to the Sens, Habs deserved a freebie.

Great analysis. A pleasure to read.

While we're on the subject, has anyone got any thoughts on WHY the Leafs are so tough for us to beat?

I'm reminded (a little bit) of the late 80s/early 90s, when the Habs were a much stronger team than the Hartford Whalers. And yet the damned Whalers would just give us a hell of a time, game after game. (I think the only player I despised more than Kevin Dineen at the time was Cam Neely. :angry:) The parallel isn't exact because we're not all that much better than the Leafs, but I still think we should be beating that team with more regularity than we are.

Is it the aggressive forecheck? The punishing physical play? Coaching? Is it mainly psychological? Is it that the Leafs have more veterans and therefore know better how to respond to these 'big games?' Is it because the sunspots keep lining up with the orbit of Pluto while Mars is in the ascendant? What gives??????? :blink:

While we're on the subject, has anyone got any thoughts on WHY the Leafs are so tough for us to beat?

I'm reminded (a little bit) of the late 80s/early 90s, when the Habs were a much stronger team than the Hartford Whalers. And yet the damned Whalers would just give us a hell of a time, game after game. (I think the only player I despised more than Kevin Dineen at the time was Cam Neely. :angry:) The parallel isn't exact because we're not all that much better than the Leafs, but I still think we should be beating that team with more regularity than we are.

Is it the aggressive forecheck? The punishing physical play? Coaching? Is it mainly psychological? Is it that the Leafs have more veterans and therefore know better how to respond to these 'big games?' Is it because the sunspots keep lining up with the orbit of Pluto while Mars is in the ascendant? What gives??????? :blink:

I think it is a combination of a balls to the wall forecheck and huge forwards. They just don't stop, they keep coming and coming and coming.

The only way to counter that is with quality breakout passes and speed, speed and more speed.

Man! I watched the third period on and off and I thought we started it SOOOOOOOOOO slow and off our game. Price saved us for a long time in this one, but I've gotta say, that OT with 3 on 3 was beyond exciting for me for some reason. Can't explain it, I was just sooooooooooo pumped. and when Komi was the one with the break away, I was momentarily wishing it was Marky or Higgins up there, cuz I thought they'd stand a much better chance to score, but he played it perfectly. SO nice to get that win, I gotta admit (which I did on the board a few minutes before the game started) I wasn't expecting it.

Great game from Markov and Komi.

Time to put Komi on our shootout list.

And I'm glad to see Chips getting more ice time. Its paying off. He is solid and continues to grow into his role and future potential.

Its exciting to watch this team. Only wish they can put a few wins together again and get up in the standings. The seasons still early so lets see how things progress.

I was at game and when Komi got the penalty I for sure did not have the confidence Kovalev did in him I thought he would miss the net when he scored all the Habs fans went nuts it is a great feeling winning on the road and being in the building.

The Habs got owned in the 2nd and 3rd periods but oh well thats what Price was there for.

1. We can't handle their big guys when they're cycling. The only response would be using our speed combined with good outlet passing. However...

2. We're not as fast as a team as some want to believe, and the passing is horrible when the Leafs have their forecheck going. The only D with any composure are Markov and Hamrlik.

My prob is that Bouillon is just too small. He's not a terrible player, but he's just completely outreached on the puck and cannot handle a team with large forwards like the leafs. His hitting his solid, but if a big guy see's it coming, he will brace himself on the boards, Bouillon will bounce off and the big leaf forward easily corrals the puck and is a half step ahead of Bouillon winning the battle easily. Speaking as a defenceman myself, reach is a HUGE part of the defensive game, I know a few fellow defencemen (especially the stay at home types) who use ridiculously long sticks so they can magnify their poke checks and their ability to be first with ahandle on loose pucks. Bouillon doesnt make for a good dominate the puck stay at home defencemen, he's no skilled defencemen with offensive threat like Markov, Gonchar or Kubina, he's basically just a scrappy 4th line hitter like Begin, but on defence.

Funny you should mention that, it was Bouillon who hit Tucker during the penalty kill which took him a few seconds out of the play. Then Wellwood scored with waaaay too much space and time in front of the net.

I'm sure Bouillon stands up better than Gorges would against the hulking Leaf forwards, but Gorges has the better breakout pass.

So, it's kind of a trade off. Do you take Bouillon's physical tolerance (which is a better fit to combat the Leafs cycle) but worse breakout pass, or do you have Gorges get tossed around more than Bouillon but actually manage a tape to tape pass and help the Habs break the zone with speed?

Haha wow...everyones so depressing.

We know we play bad against the leafs. It's been like that for years.

Lets try to have a little more faith. I realize the habs aren't perfect, but theres something to say about rivalry, and the emotion it sparks.

I honestly think, Markov was a reason for the habs bad play tonight. He took four penalties, as the leading minute D-man, thats a double blow. We go on the PK and lose one of our best PKer, which in turn makes our team get tired from having to kill off the penalty.

I don't analyze every second of the game like some people (although theres nothing wrong with it), Ryders in a slump, Lats not playing well, Higgins and Koivu can't seem to finish, theres lots of negitives with tonights game. We could try looking at the bright side, we got the 2 pts.

I like Price, he has ice water in his veins. People keep saying "oh my god, 40 shots!" Most of the shots were weak, non-screened shots. I think shots is a bad stat, they really should go on scoring chances.

e.g. off the face off, the puck dribbled towards Price, he covered it up, that counts as a shot.

Sometimes I wonder if we wont be happy unless we beat every team 7-0.

10-4-3

Shut up!

Does that record remind you of anything... last year, maybe?

I'm sure if I was negative after a loss, I would be accused of overreacting, so I might as well be after a win. This has been going on for a couple weeks, though. It's a matter of time before these near-wins turn into near-losses. In particular, the power play will not remain as the leagues best, as it's been in disarray for a couple of games but has still managed to get a couple thanks to Markov.

I can't help but feel that this is 2006-07 (and 2005-06, for that matter) all over again. Hope I'm wrong, of course, but that's my impression.

Funny you should mention that, it was Bouillon who hit Tucker during the penalty kill which took him a few seconds out of the play. Then Wellwood scored with waaaay too much space and time in front of the net.

I'm sure Bouillon stands up better than Gorges would against the hulking Leaf forwards, but Gorges has the better breakout pass.

So, it's kind of a trade off. Do you take Bouillon's physical tolerance (which is a better fit to combat the Leafs cycle) but worse breakout pass, or do you have Gorges get tossed around more than Bouillon but actually manage a tape to tape pass and help the Habs break the zone with speed?

That's exactly it Trizzak, a trade off.

If $2M in Bouillion is worth it to the Habs brass to have a guy they can do this with then go for it.

It will be up to the coaching staff to figure out who matches up the best between the cube and Gorges on a per game basis.

OR

They could trade Bouillion for lottery tickets, send Gorges down (or trade him too) and bring up O'Byrne who can do everything these two can....but better. Not to mention save $2M of cap space.

Does that record remind you of anything... last year, maybe?

I'm sure if I was negative after a loss, I would be accused of overreacting, so I might as well be after a win. This has been going on for a couple weeks, though. It's a matter of time before these near-wins turn into near-losses. In particular, the power play will not remain as the leagues best, as it's been in disarray for a couple of games but has still managed to get a couple thanks to Markov.

I can't help but feel that this is 2006-07 (and 2005-06, for that matter) all over again. Hope I'm wrong, of course, but that's my impression.

The two aren't even close to comparisons. Last season the habs were winning games by some key bounces early in the year. they just didn't have the luxury of seeing that and playing .500 hockey to keep those early points.

Our youth learned alot in the last 2 years and are now starting to lead by example.

We don't have any rifts in the dressing room. (although I could see Ryder starting one)

We don't have any lines that are lacking chemistry or production(i.e. samsonov/pleks/kovalev from last year)

Our D is heads and tails better, with even more leadership then what has been in the past.

The flu comming back is a long shot (possible but unlikely...the staff learned from that as well)

Take a look at the team stats for the last few seasons and compare them to this one....not even close.

I understand some cautious optomism, but to get down on them outright with so many changes is shortsighted at best.

Well 2 points is 2 points. Atleast Price and the second line showed up. The fourth line was decent as well.

I see alot of people either complaining or saying they are learning to win close games. I do agree with asome of you about Bouillon. He is just bad, i like Gorges alot better. Someone mentioned that it's a trade off? I have seen all the games Gorges has played in and I don't recall him getting physically outmatched by anyone. I agree he is not a physical player but he goes into the corners and more often then not comes out with the puck. Side note, can Brisbois be any softer in the corners. Gorges simply brings more to the table.

I won't analise the game much obviously everyone who saw would consider that effort to be possibly the worst all year, they were dominated.

So I'll talk about some trends i've seen over the last week or so.

1. Effort is decreasing, Not skating, not playing physical, not standing up for eachother.

2. Dumb penalties creeping back in

3. 5 on 5 play drying up. The first line is invisible. 3rd line isn't doing anything at either end ,

4. Shots for is decreasing, the shots against is increasing

5. transition game disappearing.

So the question is:

Which team will show up the rest of the year? The hard working one the first 10 games or the team we all saw last year?

Side note:

I would try Lats on the top line and sit ryder for a game.

I see alot of people either complaining or saying they are learning to win close games. I do agree with asome of you about Bouillon. He is just bad, i like Gorges alot better. Someone mentioned that it's a trade off? I have seen all the games Gorges has played in and I don't recall him getting physically outmatched by anyone. I agree he is not a physical player but he goes into the corners and more often then not comes out with the puck. Side note, can Brisbois be any softer in the corners. Gorges simply brings more to the table.

Gorges is 6'1" 195 lbs

Bouillon is 5'8" 196 lbs

Bouillon plays a more physical game, and is a bit more compact than Gorges.