Is it worth giving PRICE a rest, and bring HALAK in?

HabsWEST

As some have suggested, price looks tired, physically and mentally.

he is at his best when he is up quicker and doesnt stay on his knees longer, also when he is challenging shooters and not deep in his net..

The 4 goals yesterday, first 2 glove side High, has he been scouted and a tendency discovered ( same with 4th goal, although an unlucky break)

3rd goal, defensive breakdown, but price is stuck in his net, and flopping around.

Price is and will be an excellent goalie beyond his years, and has braught the Habs to this point, and will be relied on to go deeper...

He is entitled to average games like Saturday, but sometimes a change works as well and why you have 2 capable goalies, simply to change it up and have the team in front of you play better??? or simply a change of tactics and allow PRICE to watch the game from the bench for a game..

I am not saying to start HALAK ( would be a big risk) but worth consideration, Price has a save percentage of .875 and goals against close to 4 with 4 or more goals allowed in 3 of last 5 games ( with 3 goal against performance in game 1)???

Does another 4 plus goal loss and 2 to 1 down heading to game 4 warrant HALAK start in GAME 4 in philadellphia, worthy of consideration..

Start PRICE game 3 no doubt, but if a 4 plus goal against loss would seriously warrant a rest for PRICE...

any thaughts?? and no this isnt bashing CAREY , or anything like that, but throwing it out there for discussion..

Here is to PRICE rebound for game 3!!! and a HABS win to regain home ICE

CHEERS!!

Edited by HabsWEST

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact that he has bounced back all year from bad outings will lead Carbo to leave him in and give him the benefit of the doubt.

I dont see him leaving the net, unless he has a very bad, prolonged stretch.

I think he's tired. I think a lot of people forget how good Halak actually is... He's no Carey Price, but if we can take a 2 game series lead, then I would be more than comfortable letting Halak start a game.

if we take a 2 game lead, that most probably would indicate that Price has played well and should not be pulled. If one is worried about rest, then finishing up the series early would be the best way to get it.

There is no way in hell Price gets sat, unless he is hurt.

As someone pointed out, you live or die with your #1.

Also, how would Carey feel if Carbo benched him even though he earned the #1 job hands down. Not good.

Not the time to doubt.

Carey is there until the wall falls.

He will have a full summer to rest.

He looked depressed after the game because he felt responsible for the lost.

Some other players should have felt has much responsible for not putting the puck in the net when

it was a gimme from Biron.

It's a character test and i am positive he will rebound.

I was bummed at Carey for a few games during the season because he was letting in Huet/Theo type goals. That's not what's happening here, and the pure fact that you guys and the media are questioning him makes me want to keep him in net. That's when he responds.

We just need to pick up our offense......We are not an elite team yet and still need to work really hard for every inch of ice, because of that we play better hockey when we have the lead. I think it's more important to focus on scoring the first few goals and we'll be O.K. Halak can't really help us there. Carey all the way.... until he truly proves he's out of it.

I'm still pissed at that ax chop slash to the wrist on the fourth goal. Is that not a slashing/interference penalty? or did Carey's wrist have to break for it to have been noticed.

Well i think people should remember that all the goals may have looked weak or soft however there were a series of Gaffs by the D that caused Price problems. Hamrlik tipped the puck over his shoulder so it looked bad. Markov simply had to hit Briere to prevent him from going to the front of the net. Markov again turning the puck over to let the 4th goal in. I'm certainly not defending Price because he did look weak on some goals but if the D played better maybe a different result.

This is all god learning experince for him. People forget the Habs were outplayed in game 1 and Price got them a win. The habs outplayed the Flyers and Byron got them a win.

How many times must the guy respond before people realize the only way he gets pulled is if they are getting routed?

He is not tired, that makes absolutely no sense. The guy played 80+ games last season between Tri-City, the World Juniors and the Bulldogs,

and was more dominant in his last 20 games then his first 60.

Carbo has said that he was one of the main reasons they won the first round, he has answered the bell all year when people doubted

him in the media and on this board and until he falters and the Habs are eliminated why doubt the kid?

It was exactly one week ago that people were panicking before Game 7 and the kid is dominant in a shutout. What type of expectations

are on this kid now? Kipprusoff was pulled in Game 7 after 4 goals in 30 minutes, Broudeur was average at best against the Rangers and

Nabakov is now struggling for San Jose. Price wins Game 1, is average to unlucky in Game 2 and the giant panic button is pushed?

I don't get it. No goalie is perfect, no goalie was perfect. Go look at the stats of Brodeur, Luongo, Nabakov, Kipprusoff etc when they were 20

and you will find inconsistency. Get used to it, he is not tired, he is twenty.

I really didnt see this thread as a panic thread, but merely discussin/opinion. Though it is true that the notion of Carey being tired or requiring rest is foolish. He is young and able to carry the load. He also seems to bounce back very well from bad outings, so I am very excited to see how he responds tonight.

One thing though, I keep hearing how he has had 4 bad outings in the last 5. Though I dont think of that way, having watched every minute and always felt good about him in net....the stats are against him. His save PCT. in those games is bad and in this series is .875.

It is time for Price to step up tonight and shut his critics up once again....oh yah and get us ahead in the series.

We live or die with Price in Nets. I'm not really worried about the kid.

What worries me is our lack of offense and lack of "will to win".

We are in the playoffs, and I get the impression that some players still think we are in the regular season!

It's premature to even be thinking about starting Halak...but I would consider making a mid-game switch if it's obvious Price is off his game and allows more than one stinker.

Edited by sbhatt

It's premature to even be thinking about starting Halak...but I would consider making a mid-game switch if it's obvious Price is off his game and allows more than one stinker.

Anything less than a shutout and people talk about Price like he is off his game.

He's not perfect, he's going to let in goals, and sometimes they will be those he will want to have back.

Anything less than a shutout and people talk about Price like he is off his game.

He's not perfect, he's going to let in goals, and sometimes they will be those he will want to have back.

I love the nickname Jesus Price, but the expectations have exceed those placed on guys like Brodeur and Luongo,

and people are not going to be satisifed til he turns water into wine.

Does anybody really believe that Halak would have stopped the two roof jobs in Game 2? Or the Briere goal that even if

stopped had nobody within a mile to stop Prospal from tapping home the rebound?

In any other city in the NHL this kid would not have to put up with these expectations. And people wonder why Briere

did not want the pressure.

I love the nickname Jesus Price, but the expectations have exceed those placed on guys like Brodeur and Luongo,

and people are not going to be satisifed til he turns water into wine.

Does anybody really believe that Halak would have stopped the two roof jobs in Game 2? Or the Briere goal that even if

stopped had nobody within a mile to stop Prospal from tapping home the rebound?

In any other city in the NHL this kid would not have to put up with these expectations. And people wonder why Briere

did not want the pressure.

I agree. Anyways he's a great goalie and he will be strong tonight.

See, I don't agree with you guys. The object is to win the series, not join the Carey Price cheerleader brigade. He was not good in games 5 & 6 against Boston and game 2 against Philly. He was mediocre in game 1against Philly. If he does not play well tonight, why would you stick with him? "We will live or die with Price!" WHY?!!

Price is a great goalie but all goalies go through cold stretches. I, for one, do not want to lose a series to avoid embarrassing Price. He's a pro now, and he understands that if he doesn't perform, he gets replaced. In my life, I've seen Dryden replaced, Roy replaced, so why not Price?

Now understand that I hope to god, he finds himself tonight and plays well. But if he doesn't, Carbo has to make decisions to benefit the TEAM, not Carey Price.

BTW His save percentage of .875 is only for this series. If you count the last 5 games, it's even worse than that...

- Jack

See, I don't agree with you guys. The object is to win the series, not join the Carey Price cheerleader brigade. He was not good in games 5 & 6 against Boston and game 2 against Philly. He was mediocre in game 1against Philly. If he does not play well tonight, why would you stick with him? "We will live or die with Price!" WHY?!!

Price is a great goalie but all goalies go through cold stretches. I, for one, do not want to lose a series to avoid embarrassing Price. He's a pro now, and he understands that if he doesn't perform, he gets replaced. In my life, I've seen Dryden replaced, Roy replaced, so why not Price?

Now understand that I hope to god, he finds himself tonight and plays well. But if he doesn't, Carbo has to make decisions to benefit the TEAM, not Carey Price.

BTW His save percentage of .875 is only for this series. If you count the last 5 games, it's even worse than that...

- Jack

Well you would have replaced Roy with Racicot in 1993 with that type of attitude, that would have been quite the brilliant move.