The loyalists' " I can't take O'Byrne anymore " thread

rafikz

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Some crazy psycho chick just called into CJAD saying she wants to break O'Byrne's legs. Tonya Harding much? o,O

No leg breaking required...just an airline ticket to Hamilton.

Though, if the Habs are too stupid to send him down, and crazy lady happened to kneecap O' Burned...I wouldn't condone it...BUT...I'd certainly understand.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No leg breaking required...just an airline ticket to Hamilton.

Though, if the Habs are too stupid to send him down, and crazy lady happened to kneecap O' Burned...I wouldn't condone it...BUT...I'd certainly understand.

Yet another kneejerk reaction from you. Somehow I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm done with talking about O'Byrne for tonight. He, just like the rest of us, needs to leave it alone and look forward. Dwelling on the past isn't going to do any good for anyone.

If this was a lone incident, I would understand. it's a mistake, everyone makes them. But the problem is this is the kind of play we've been seeing him constantly since the season began. He's slow, lacks intensity, doesn't see the ice, can't battle one on one and makes bad decisions under pressure. I understand he's developing, but he's clearly not ready for the NHL and on top of that is really hurting the team.

That's gonna be a tough one for him to get over, but the bottom line is it's done. We don't have any D in the minors that are ready to come up, unless we can talk Emelin into getting out of his contract in Russia. O'Byrne will keep playing unless Dandy gets moved back to D and a forward is brought up.

If this was a lone incident, I would understand. it's a mistake, everyone makes them. But the problem is this is the kind of play we've been seeing him constantly since the season began. He's slow, lacks intensity, doesn't see the ice, can't battle one on one and makes bad decisions under pressure. I understand he's developing, but he's clearly not ready for the NHL and on top of that is really hurting the team.

:clap: well said

+1

Meh take it easy on O'Byrne. Anyway as long as he's with the big team it's management not him you blame, they decide who plays, and kids will make mistakes.

If he isn't on the first flight to Hamilton I will question the leadership of this franchise.

If he IS on the first flight to Hamilton, I will seriously question the leadership of this franchise.

Good franchises do not abandon young players of high potential in that manner. The kid knows he screwed up and probably no one feels worse that he does.

Lighten up, it wasnt a Steve Smith disaster.

Handled correctly, this could help RO'B turn around his season. If management decides he needs time in Ham it should be after they see him play for MTL following this incident.

Edited by PMAC

If he IS on the first flight to Hamilton, I will seriously question the leadership of this franchise.

Good franchises do not abandon young players of high potential in that manner. The kid knows he screwed up and probably no one feels worse that he does.

Lighten up, it wasnt a Steve Smith disaster.

Handled correctly, this could help RO'B turn around his season. If management decides he needs time in Ham it should be after they see him play for MTL following this incident.

Exactly, PMAC. And in support of your point, let's just consider the "Steve Smith disaster" for a second.

Answer me this, O'Bryne haters. What did the CHAMPIONSHIP/DYNASTY Oilers do to rookie Steve Smith when he personally eliminated his Cup-favourite team from the playoffs? Crap on him in public? Consign him to the minors? Dump him on waivers? Publicly rend him limb from limb in downtown Edmonton?

Duh, no. They supported him, refused to blame him, rallied around him, and went on to win Cups with him. And he responded with an *excellent* NHL career including winning the Canada Cup.

I guess those Oilers really had no idea how to run things and how to build a winning team, eh? Clearly they lacked the incredible, championship-calibre hockey-management and team-building acumen of some people on this board. Lucky for them.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

You and a few others say this as if he hasn't been teh suck on many a night...it's not just about his 'goal'...that's just the icing on the cake. There are other prospects that deserve to get a look...he's not playing well enough to earn a permanent place on the Habs' roster. How is it fair to the D-men in Hamilton if this guy continues to suck, yet gets to stay with the big team and they never get a chance?

If scoring on your own net is the absolute rock bottom for a young defenseman, I'd like to see how he handles rock bottom. Sending him to Hamilton after this is a kneejerk reaction, regardless of how he's been playing beforehand. Lets see his reaction before we go with yours.

Got to put things in perspective.

It's not like O'Byrne banged the puck off his own goalie in the playoffs... His goalie was gone and he didnt know it. If he knew he wouldnt have tried to steal the puck from the NYI player and send it out of danger, he'd just have let him touch it to get the whistle and PP.

It's a mistake, a big one; but it comes with the learning. The Habs' staff kept him on the roster and put him on the ice knowing full well that they'd have to live with those mistakes in order to get to the place where O'Byrne is as tough as he was when the Dogs won the Calder Cup.

There's a difference between a player who makes mistakes because he's learning and battling confidence issues; and a player who makes mistakes because he's not working hard enough and dont want to pay the price. Coaches and GM can live with the former, but not the latter. O'Byrne is in the first group.

Hell yea, it was a big mistake which probably cost us the win today but heck, why should we send O'Byrne down to the AHL? He'll learn from this mistake, I'm sure he'll come back stronger than before. I'm still convinced that this guy will become a good, reliable shut-down d-man for this team.

And btw... send O'Byrne down to the farm and give guys like Brisebois or Dandenault even more ice time? C'mon. ^_^;)

Think about it like this: if he keeps playing in Montreal, he will be verbally crucified by the home crowd. Will that help his development? It will more likely destroy his confidence.

I would much rather give the ice time to Dandenault than O'Byrne. He may not be stellar, but he is at least capable. I'm not saying this because I'm still mad about last night, I'm saying this because O'Byrne has not played at an NHL level or even close to it since the beginning of the season. Just the fact that he literally cost us a game is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I can see O'Byrne being packaged with someone in a trade for another dman.

Not because he scored on his own net or because he has been struggling. I just think it will happen.

He will get some serious heat in Montreal though. Brisebois has received unmerciful hate from the fans and I expect O'byrne will get much the same.

You never, ever bash a youngster who makes an mistake that he knows and feels bad for. You support him and help him regain his confidence.

This kid will become special. All it's gonna take is patience. Support him when he's down; give him tough love when he's performing.

Not being patient with the learning curve of young defencemen can turn into a dangerous game of russian roulette. Need I remind you of the like of Beauchemin and Robidas.

I'd rather see O'Byrne screw up than be forced to watch Brisebois and Dandenault out there patroling our zone.

By the way, are there many 6'6" 230+lbs defencemen out there?

Didn't think so..

He just has to work on being on the right side of the puck defending. Right now he is chasing the attacker instead of getting into the skating lane and hitting the attacker. He also needs to protect and move the puck better when getting a dumped in puck, especially when he is skating towards the defensive backboards.
OMG, it gets worse??? :angry: All he had to do was turn and fire the puck out the blueline. Who cares if the Isles player gets control and the extra attacker play is gone? Better than a goal against!!! To make matters worse, maybe O'Byrne thought it would be best to get the puck out of the zone so there would be no defensive zone faceoff to start the powerplay. Hey, dumb dumb - the powerplay now always begins in the offensive zone!!!

He needs a basics clinic on simple moves!!!

As I said in the game thread, if O'Byrne gets sent down now - which of course, he won't, because Bob Gainey isn't a fool - I don't expect to ever see him come back up again.

Here's my take...

O'Byrne's mistake was clearly a sign of a defenseman being pressured, panicking, and making a play with his head down. One of the toughest things for a young defenseman is learning to be patient, and to not panic in situations where the plays you can make are limited. With patience, you are aware of everything that is going on out there, and make plays with your head up.

In this situation, the sign of a good coaching staff is when they don't send him down to "learn". The send him right back out there and see how he responds. There's no better learning experience than learning from a mistake in the same environment you made the mistake in, backed by your teammates and coaching staff.

If he continues to struggle? Then you send him to Hamilton.

My two cents...

Here's my take...

O'Byrne's mistake was clearly a sign of a defenseman being pressured, panicking, and making a play with his head down. One of the toughest things for a young defenseman is learning to be patient, and to not panic in situations where the plays you can make are limited. With patience, you are aware of everything that is going on out there, and make plays with your head up.

In this situation, the sign of a good coaching staff is when they don't send him down to "learn". The send him right back out there and see how he responds. There's no better learning experience than learning from a mistake in the same environment you made the mistake in, backed by your teammates and coaching staff.

If he continues to struggle? Then you send him to Hamilton.

My two cents...

I think that if Komi was playing, we could see O'byrne going down to Hamilton, but now... Gotta choose between a learning young O'Byrne or a not learning old Dandy...