Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Thanks.  They're a site known for outright making stuff up so I wouldn't put much stock in this one.

That’s the catch-22 of rumour sites.  They report fringe rumours for entertainment, or they try to be accurate and report very little.

There really isn’t much in between.  Even the more credible ones will report made up stories, like Seravalli’s Gibson rumour that sent Anaheim and Gibson into a PR tailspin.

Well the five assumed to be under arrest leave

New Jersey down a third line C and RHD (Savard and Monahan)

Philly down a goalie (Hart)

Cgy down a 3rd line C (Monahan)

and meanwhile, Mrazek signed an extension in Chicago, so thats another goalie off the trade market. 

Seems a good day for our trade options.... and a bad day to be a rapist, and that's most important. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

and meanwhile, Mrazek signed an extension in Chicago, so thats another goalie off the trade market. 

Seems a good day for our trade options.... and a bad day to be a rapist, and that's most important. 

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/report-five-members-of-canada-s-2018-wjc-team-told-to-surrender-to-london-police-1.2066984

The TSN link for reference.  It didn’t name any names.

3 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That’s the catch-22 of rumour sites.  They report fringe rumours for entertainment, or they try to be accurate and report very little.

There really isn’t much in between.  Even the more credible ones will report made up stories, like Seravalli’s Gibson rumour that sent Anaheim and Gibson into a PR tailspin.

Fair point but some sources of information are more reliable than others (ie. Friedman, Mckenzie etc.)

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Good points, I didn't realize Mrazek had resigned, good if you are selling a goalie for sure. 

Plus I think there will be some really tight races likely going down to the wire. In the East almost for sure Boston, Florida, Toronto, Rangers, Carolina and likely Tampa will be in. I expect Philly to slip a bit so the last 2 spots are wide open. Making the right deal could be a difference maker. 

In the West I think the last wild card spot will be the only one up for grabs as I expect LA to turn it around and be there. 

24 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Believe me, I know it all too well with my time at PHR.  We see lots of stuff come up and part of the job is tracing things back to see what the real report was and what's the extra spin that someone else is putting on it while determining which ones stem from made up reports (and there are a lot of those).

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They've recalled Cal Petersen to pair with Sam Ersson and still have Felix Sandstrom in the minors.  I think they'll stick with what they have for now.

40 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Dillon Dube, Carter Hart, Cal Foote, Michael McLeod and Alex Formenton (Switzerland) have all been announced as taking leaves of absence from their teams in the last 48 hours. 

Thats 5 members of the 2018 WJC team who all took LOAs at the same time this news report came out. 

I'm guessing they are the 5. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They've recalled Cal Petersen to pair with Sam Ersson and still have Felix Sandstrom in the minors.  I think they'll stick with what they have for now.

If they are serious about making the playoffs, Cal Peterson has been one of the NHL's worst goalies in recent years. 

Depends how much they want to capitalize on the surprising start. 

44 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Depends how much they want to capitalize on the surprising start. 

And that is the key. I think Philly has surprised themselves this year and are still in rebuild mode. I don't think they see themselves as legitimate cup contenders so I don't think it makes sense for them to give up a good prospect/high pick to improve their situation in goal short term. 

However there are teams like the Devils, Penguins, Islanders etc. who have much higher expectations that might be willing to deal. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Remove conditions on the 2024 first and the lesser of the Flames/Panthers 2025 first????
🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Remove conditions on the 2024 first and the lesser of the Flames/Panthers 2025 first????
🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣

That would be hilarious to see Monahan back in Calgary. I think the Flames are sellers at the deadline but funnier things have happened. 

The thing is that even if Calgary doesn't want Monahan, they will likely go for another centre to replace Dube if they want to make the playoffs, same with New Jersey and McLeod who has a high faceoff % for them, and was taking lots of draws. 

They don't necessarily have to be the teams to trade with, the fact that they are in the market raises the price on centres, and the fact that Philly might enter the goalie market raises that demand too.  In any event, its good for our player's trade values. 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The thing is that even if Calgary doesn't want Monahan, they will likely go for another centre to replace Dube if they want to make the playoffs, same with New Jersey and McLeod who has a high faceoff % for them, and was taking lots of draws. 

They don't necessarily have to be the teams to trade with, the fact that they are in the market raises the price on centres, and the fact that Philly might enter the goalie market raises that demand too.  In any event, its good for our player's trade values. 

That's true, it has a ripple effect. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So Jovanovski and others farther back, not out of the woods yet.

Hope they all pay the price.

No statute of limitations, but reality is that the longer it takes to have charges, the harder it is to convict.   This is just a general principle. 

Witnesses die or memories fade with time. 

Evidence is sometimes lost or no longer preserved with proper chain of custody that allows it to be used in court. 

Reasonable doubt grows with time. 

Etc.... 

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No statute of limitations, but reality is that the longer it takes to have charges, the harder it is to convict.   This is just a general principle. 

Witnesses die or memories fade with time. 

Evidence is sometimes lost or no longer preserved with proper chain of custody that allows it to be used in court. 

Reasonable doubt grows with time. 

Etc.... 

Unfortunate ...but VERY true.

A couple of smaller rumour notes from people who aren't always right about these things...

Habs rejected an offer of a young forward (former first-round pick) for Xhekaj: https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnotta/kings-reaching-breaking-point

Paywalled but Kypreos reports the Habs aren't getting much interest in Allen at all and they are not willing to retain to move him: https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/the-maple-leafs-find-themselves-in-a-familiar-place-maybe-this-nhl-trade-deadline-should/article_ad7ecb5c-b885-11ee-a787-879b981a4c41.html

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A couple of smaller rumour notes from people who aren't always right about these things...

Habs rejected an offer of a young forward (former first-round pick) for Xhekaj: https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnotta/kings-reaching-breaking-point

Paywalled but Kypreos reports the Habs aren't getting much interest in Allen at all and they are not willing to retain to move him: https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/the-maple-leafs-find-themselves-in-a-familiar-place-maybe-this-nhl-trade-deadline-should/article_ad7ecb5c-b885-11ee-a787-879b981a4c41.html

Clickbait30 suggested today that the kings might be looking to move Arthur Kaliyev, wonder if that was the rumoured player?  In Clickbait30's context it was for Allen ... sadly, even if the LAKs were interested in Allen, as Kypreos and so many others suggest, HuGo won't want to retain salary and the only possible "bad" contract the Kings could move to make room is really Dubois.

I expect that any deal for Allen will have to involve taking back a contract the trading partner doesn't want ... if the obstacle for another team is the contract AND they have a minimum $2-3M+ contract they want to get rid of, then Hughes could clear-out the logjam in the crease and also get some value.

29 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Clickbait30 suggested today that the kings might be looking to move Arthur Kaliyev, wonder if that was the rumoured player?  In Clickbait30's context it was for Allen ... sadly, even if the LAKs were interested in Allen, as Kypreos and so many others suggest, HuGo won't want to retain salary and the only possible "bad" contract the Kings could move to make room is really Dubois.

Kaliyev's name has been out there for the last week or so from more reputable ones as well.  He wasn't a first-rounder though.  Seems like he'd be the type of player they might look at though.  I think Morgan Frost might be the speculated player in Pagnotta's report.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I certainly don’t want another year of three goalie rotation. Allen only has one more year on his contract but it would suck to go through this next season as well. 

Hughes may not want to use a retention spot on Allen but is it better to keep him and try again next year? 

Maybe Primeau is more tradeable 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect that any deal for Allen will have to involve taking back a contract the trading partner doesn't want ... if the obstacle for another team is the contract AND they have a minimum $2-3M+ contract they want to get rid of, then Hughes could clear-out the logjam in the crease and also get some value.

I know PLD is struggling this season and if this continues then his contract is an albatross but if the offer was PLD for Allen I would seriously consider it. 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I know PLD is struggling this season and if this continues then his contract is an albatross but if the offer was PLD for Allen I would seriously consider it. 

I would also hope that HuGo etr al would seriously consider it ... OBVIOUSLY it would depend on their assessment of PLD as a person and a player, as well as what is going wrong in LA ... we can all speculate but none of us know enough to really know.

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Kaliyev's name has been out there for the last week or so from more reputable ones as well.  He wasn't a first-rounder though.  Seems like he'd be the type of player they might look at though.  I think Morgan Frost might be the speculated player in Pagnotta's report.

He wasn't a 1st but pretty close (33rd overall), could be Frost but not a chance I would trade Arber 1 for 1 for either of those players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Hughes may not want to use a retention spot on Allen but is it better to keep him and try again next year?

I think he's willing to use a retention slot on him next year if it comes to it.  If they need to retain on Monahan to maximize his return, they have to hold that final slot for him.  Next year, that one would be off the books as would Edmundson's, making it more palatable to retain on Allen at that time.  It's not necessarily worth taking a small return on a retained Allen if it lowers the return for Monahan as at full price, there are contenders that couldn't afford him.  But if they retain on Monahan now and retain on Allen in the offseason, they get the best of both worlds potentially.