Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Well it could very well happen if Gainey doesn't sign a few guys early.

I feel that some players may want to become free agents. I fear that montreal becomes the montreal Bulldogs next year.

some players are becoming older and I think it'd be time to go younger.

Lang=chipchura

Begin=Stewart or some free agent pluggers.

Brisebois=carle/weber

Bouillon: could be signed at a lower price or maybe Emelin

Dandenault=D'Agostini

Kovalev: free agent

Tanguay-koivu-komisarek: sign them if price is good but I doubt it.

Let's remember that the reason we draft players is to take place of overaged/expensive players.

Komisarek is an overaged/expensive player??? Sure he's due a contract but the kid is just came into his own 2 years ago. You re-sign him.

I agree with every other player...although, if the Habs lose a lot of that more expensive, depth player, veteran redundancy then it will mean that they can afford to keep one, maybe 2, of their veteran top 6 guys. After-all, if you lose Kovalev, Lang, Begin, Brisebois, Bouillon, Dandy, Tanguay and Koivu that's a lot of cap space...

As an aside, an interesting 4th dman pick-up for this year could be Bret Clark...and not just because I picked him up off waivers for my fantasy team...lol. He plays big minutes for the Avs, blocks shots, has had 30+ point seasons, is struggling to put up points so far this year, and makes $3.5 Million. Slightly overpaid but that makes him easier to acquire. This team needs another top 4 d-man if it's serious about a cup run. His points may not be there but he's still blocking loads of shots and putting up 20-24 minutes a game for the Avs who are struggling on offense as a whole.

Still early to make these calls, but here we go...

Potential UFA's:

Tanguay = resign... he's only 28, is a top 10 LW in the NHL and should be a top priority

Komisarek = resign... he's 27, is a top pairing blueliner who provides a very rare skill set

Koivu = resign... he's getting older, but has been fairly healthy in recent years and still has a lot of game in him. Plus, he's the captain

Kovalev = this is leaning towards letting the Kostitsyn boys take his place internally as the go-to wingers. I'm not kicking him out of our future plans entirely just yet.

Lang = the tough thing here is he's the only RH shot in our top 9. I look at Boston and see... what, 6 RH shots in their top 9? If he's willing to come back at a discount, I'd consider it. Lapierre can be moved to wing to allow Chipchura a spot.

Bouillon = I'm not tossing him out yet either, but it'd have to be a deal that makes sense. Logically, O'Byrne and Gorges assume more duties and we break in some young 'ins like Carle, Emelin, Weber, Valentenko or Subban. The Cube has been written out of Montreal several times and he's stuck. If he's willing to take a similar dollar value on a shorter term contract (2 years max) then he might be better to keep than O'Byrne. It depends whether we have faith in O'Byrne as a habs in the future or not.

Dandeanult = D'Agostini

Begin = Chipchura

Kostopolous = resign. Kostopo still has some years ahead of him, and if he's willing to stick playing a similar role, I say keep him.

Brisebois = Carle/Emelin

Pacioretty, Maxwell, and Stewart's spots depend on Kovalev and Lang coming back, IMO.

Let's remember that the reason we draft players is to take place of overaged/expensive players.

Yes, but you don't do it all in one year. You can't head into a season with 7 rookies in the lineup. Do you really think the team can win with the following team?

AKost-Pleky-SKost

Higs-Maxwell-Lats

Pacioretty-Chips-Diago

Stewart-Lapierre-???

Markov-Gorges

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Two of Carle, Emelin, Weber

Look at Detroit. They always seem to find some talent in the system. They do not, however, let all of their best players walk and replace them all with rookies. They keep their team together as best they can and only use their youngsters when needed. That is how successful teams operate.

Two of Carle, Emelin, Weber

Personnaly, I give up on Carle. He has Brett Lindros written in his face. Weber is my man, but I've never really seen Emelin play.

Potential UFA's:

Tanguay = resign... he's only 28, is a top 10 LW in the NHL and should be a top priority

Komisarek = resign... he's 27, is a top pairing blueliner who provides a very rare skill set

Koivu = resign... he's getting older, but has been fairly healthy in recent years and still has a lot of game in him. Plus, he's the captain

Kovalev = this is leaning towards letting the Kostitsyn boys take his place internally as the go-to wingers. I'm not kicking him out of our future plans entirely just yet.

Lang = the tough thing here is he's the only RH shot in our top 9. I look at Boston and see... what, 6 RH shots in their top 9? If he's willing to come back at a discount, I'd consider it. Lapierre can be moved to wing to allow Chipchura a spot.

Bouillon = I'm not tossing him out yet either, but it'd have to be a deal that makes sense. Logically, O'Byrne and Gorges assume more duties and we break in some young 'ins like Carle, Emelin, Weber, Valentenko or Subban. The Cube has been written out of Montreal several times and he's stuck. If he's willing to take a similar dollar value on a shorter term contract (2 years max) then he might be better to keep than O'Byrne. It depends whether we have faith in O'Byrne as a habs in the future or not.

Dandeanult = D'Agostini

Begin = Chipchura

Kostopolous = resign. Kostopo still has some years ahead of him, and if he's willing to stick playing a similar role, I say keep him.

Brisebois = Carle/Emelin

Pacioretty, Maxwell, and Stewart's spots depend on Kovalev and Lang coming back, IMO.

Well stated. I definitely agree on Tangs, Koivu and Komi(as long as he isn't looking for anything ridiculous). Would definitely like to see Kovalev back as well.

If Koivu Kovalev, Lang want to remain as Canadiens then I would suggest that all 3 will be looking at taking a cut or in the case of koivu Kovalev no more than what they make now, i would say lower salary more bonuses. And yeah the same for Lang, I really like this guy but cap reality says he is overpaid.

If Koivu Kovalev, Lang want to remain as Canadiens then I would suggest that all 3 will be looking at taking a cut or in the case of koivu Kovalev no more than what they make now, i would say lower salary more bonuses. And yeah the same for Lang, I really like this guy but cap reality says he is overpaid.

Dude, i don't know if you've noticed...but Koivu, along with Markov and Price, has been great this year. Easily won of his best starts as a habs. Why should he take a pay cut if he continues to have a great year? I know it would help the team...but how many players would take a pay cut around this league after a career year?

Yea, Koivu can do what he wants, i'm sure BG will give him the option to resign.

Tanguay yes, as stated above. Komi yes.

All the other UFA's can go and be easily replaced by the youth on the team. The big question for me is What to do with either Lats, Higgins and Pacioretty. They can't all make the team. Maybe moving on eof them this year with another younger player like Pleks (example) to get another good D. Boumeester or someone like that.

Dude, i don't know if you've noticed...but Koivu, along with Markov and Price, has been great this year. Easily won of his best starts as a habs. Why should he take a pay cut if he continues to have a great year? I know it would help the team...but how many players would take a pay cut around this league after a career year?

well dude, he is on pace for 66 pts this year. While that may be a career year for some people it isn't for Saku. He has topped 75 points at least twice that I can think of, on worse teams than this. He is our leading point getter however he is also 51st in the league. That is kind of pathetic. It shows that the offense on our team is terrible this year. Being the best offensive threat on an offensively challenged team is nothing to write home about. And there is no way he should be. Now having said that, I love Saku but the fact of the matter is he is getting older 35 this year, and a rough 35 with all the injuries etc. From a cap point of view we have to look to the future not the past. He is not going to get any better offensively. He will still be the leader that he is and will always have that work ethic that makes us all love him. I would like to retain him but dollars and cents says it would have to be lower salary bigger bonuses.

Yea, Koivu can do what he wants, i'm sure BG will give him the option to resign.

Tanguay yes, as stated above. Komi yes.

All the other UFA's can go and be easily replaced by the youth on the team. The big question for me is What to do with either Lats, Higgins and Pacioretty. They can't all make the team. Maybe moving on eof them this year with another younger player like Pleks (example) to get another good D. Boumeester or someone like that.

All 3 can be on the team, but you're right in that they could be used as bait. We'll see where Pacioretty is after this year, but it may not even matter. If a good D can be had maybe we should move one of them.

Carle has had one concussion, which took only a month to recover from. I don't see why we'd give up on him.

OK, don't trade Plex then. I'm still not sold on him being a #1 ctr, though. Like Koivu, should be a #2 - unless you roll 3 solid attacking lines and the 4th can chip in as well (like how the team is set up now). My Plex trade was just a Sundin-fitting move, more video game stuff.

But give Gorges a run as the 4th D, irregardless of other moves / non-moves. Bump O'Byrne down to the last pairing.

Of this list

Bouillon, koivu, kovalev, tanguay, komisarek, kostopoulos, dandenault, brisebois, begin and Lang

I'd try to bring back Tanguay, Komi, Kosto and Lang, maybe Begin too, hoping that either D'Agostini or someone else (Pacioretty?), plus an improved showing by the Kost bros and Latendresse, can alleviate Kovalev.

You don't want Koivu or did you forget to include him? If Plekanec really is only a #2 C then that just gives us another reason to keep Koivu around for as long as we can.

As an aside, an interesting 4th dman pick-up for this year could be Bret Clark...and not just because I picked him up off waivers for my fantasy team...lol. He plays big minutes for the Avs, blocks shots, has had 30+ point seasons, is struggling to put up points so far this year, and makes $3.5 Million. Slightly overpaid but that makes him easier to acquire. This team needs another top 4 d-man if it's serious about a cup run. His points may not be there but he's still blocking loads of shots and putting up 20-24 minutes a game for the Avs who are struggling on offense as a whole.

He sounds like Gorges + 20 points. I don't know what we'd trade to free up that cap space... we can only move Bouillon and Dandenault and I'm happy with both and not sure Colorado would want them anyway.

I agree with all that but I have a couple of changes:

Lang --> Chipchura

Kovalev --> Pacioretty (I'm not totally against losing Kovalev but Pac should make the team either way)

Begin --> Stewart

Re-sign Koivu, Tanguay, Komisarek, Kostopoulos and possibly Bouillon, as you said. This roster would mean we make no UFA signings this offseason, which is unrealistic. I either see us signing an experienced defenseman in place of Bouillon, or getting a top 9 forward who'd bump Stewart off the roster or into a depth role.

Potential UFA's:

Dandeanult = D'Agostini

Begin = Chipchura

Brisebois = Carle/Emelin

:clap: All these are exacly correct.

Well Bouillon, Lang, Kovalev, Begin, Dandy aren't getting any younger or better. So IMO there wouldn't be a reason to re sign them.

D'Agi can score at the AHL level, give him a chance with Taguay and Koivu.

I agree about letting Akosty take Kovalev's spot, he is the closest thing to a sniper they have. He is also big, fast and can play physical. He needs consitnacy.

Then you run into some problems with too many wingers. Also Maxwell and Chipchura may be able to jump up. Lapierre Laraque Kosto should be the 4th line.

You have Hamrlik, Markov and Gorges, O'Byrne i beleive under contract. With Weber, Carle, Valentenko and the possibility of McDonagh knocking on the door. Again no reason to resign Dandy or Bouillon.

Goaltending is set.

They may want to pair Halak and a younger forward (pleks) example and try to move them for a big, young centre with some upside. Pouliott, Sheppard someone like that.

It's time to turn the page on alot of the vets. The only thing they have proven over the years is they are somewhere between a #12 or number 1 seed. Nut no real playoff upside. out of the first round twice in 10 years or something.

sorry, i meant Emelin not Valentenko who went to Russia and probably isn't coming back.

I really like Begin as a 4th liner/presser. He seems to like the role too.

He is one of the very few who display true heart out there.

Oops, my bad, just went with the assumption that Koivu would be back. I would love to see A Kost & S Kost play with Plex. But I have doubts about Koivu and Plex, as our top 2 ctr's, leading us to the promised land...or even the finals.

I'd think all of Latendresse, Higgins and Pacioretty could make it on the team next year - plenty of room.

I honestly think we give Gorges an extended run as #4 before trades. This coming from someone who has been very critical of him since he arrived.

Komisarek is an overaged/expensive player??? Sure he's due a contract but the kid is just came into his own 2 years ago. You re-sign him.

I agree with every other player...although, if the Habs lose a lot of that more expensive, depth player, veteran redundancy then it will mean that they can afford to keep one, maybe 2, of their veteran top 6 guys. After-all, if you lose Kovalev, Lang, Begin, Brisebois, Bouillon, Dandy, Tanguay and Koivu that's a lot of cap space...

Never have I said that. however should he command a salary higher than Markov's he shouldn't be re-signed. For the same cash I'd rather Bouwmeester.

Next yera's UFA season should be really interesting with a pool of great players wanting new contracts and with the great economy these days, maybe the Cap will go down for the 1st time.

More on Zinovjev, just for those who are still interested in the story (you can get enough from the translation, plus the names of some of the people will make you laugh):

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...TrUrl=Translate

:lool: :lool: :lool:

[gi] [Karbonno].

[zhyulen] Of [brizbua]

took me a second to find who the second was !!!

One concussion and you give up on the kid?

He had other injuries too. I think he missed a lot of good hockey and by the time he will recover of these absence, some prospects will have the job he would maybe have had with the CH. I just don't consider him as I consider McDonagh, Weber, Subban and Fisher.

He had other injuries too. I think he missed a lot of good hockey and by the time he will recover of these absence, some prospects will have the job he would maybe have had with the CH. I just don't consider him as I consider McDonagh, Weber, Subban and Fisher.

Did you give up on Koivu after all his injuries ?? he's been quite healthy of late.

Carle will have to throw his jinx away and could very well become a successful NHLer.

Did you give up on Koivu after all his injuries ?? he's been quite healthy of late.

Carle will have to throw his jinx away and could very well become a successful NHLer.

I didn't give up on Koivu because he is an international all star... I just hope Carle could become a successful NHLer too, but I highly doubt it. Not in Montreal as he will be clinched by other prospects really soon.

I didn't give up on Koivu because he is an international all star... I just hope Carle could become a successful NHLer too, but I highly doubt it. Not in Montreal as he will be clinched by other prospects really soon.

I'd say he's 2nd next in line for a call up right behind Weber. Maybe Emelin when/if he comes to N-A. McDonagh, subban and Fisher are at least a year away. at the end of the year he will have played 2 full(well almost full) seasons of pro hockey.