Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Rumor has it Montreal's trading Saku Koivu for Patrick Traverse.

I don,t think that the sharks are looking for centreman let alone a hard working one.

Apparantly Sundin has narrowed it down to 4 teams. The Habs being one of them. They will have to shed 3-5 million salary to sign him i think. Vancouver, Chicago, Rangers are the others.

I wouldn't know how to comment unless it actually happens. He is a great player.

ok, we need someone like Brian to sort this out.

MIGHTY BRIAN, I SUMMON YOU!

I wanna know :

how much we have under the cap.

Who doesn't have a NTC, is expandable and would clear enough caproom to get Sundin to sign here.

Sundin's contract is the deciding factor.

Until we know the numbers it's all speculation.

Sundin's contract is the deciding factor.

Until we know the numbers it's all speculation.

between $1M and $1G.

If it's $1M, he wants Souray's mansion, souray's pimped up Muscle car and Souray's wife.

If it's $1G, there is a "cup guarranty" clause at the bottom of the contract, in small letters.

If he decides to play for us, I don't see how he can expect enough money for a $3-5M cap hit. He'll be doing it knowing that he's sacrificing some money for a better chance at winning.

Gainey definitely has a plan at this point for how he'd fit in, but beyond regular roster adjustments, I honestly don't think he'd have to do a ton if Sundin signed for a $5.5m contract (or whatever his Toronto deal was last year). If he wants much higher, than it'd be something more significant. But role guys like Dandenault and Begin could potentially be all that's sacrificed, coupled with the demotion of some players like Sergei Kostitsyn and Ryan O'Byrne just to create the roster spot. It'd really make our callup list confusing, though. We'd probably try and call up more economically pleasing options like a Shawn Belle/Alex Henry or Greg Stewart as a forward.

If it were a big contract, we might be talking jettisoning Alex Kovalev or something. But I don't think the Habs will be in the game if it is a big $8/$9m contract. It has to be $6m max.

Remember that only a little over half that number is what would count against the cap, essentially. We've already played over 2 months, currently about 33% of the season is done.

ok, we need someone like Brian to sort this out.

MIGHTY BRIAN, I SUMMON YOU!

I wanna know :

how much we have under the cap.

Who doesn't have a NTC, is expandable and would clear enough caproom to get Sundin to sign here.

Streamer, allow me to introduce you to the thread that at this time is directly below this one, which contains all of the salary cap information, including what our projected remaining cap space at season's end is. Since I'm sure you won't want to look, the remaining cap space is $1,549,218.36.

As for NTC's, I'll add that now...which will make this thread below the cap one...:)

To answer about how much space would need to be cleared, you'd have to know for how much Sundin would sign for (to prorate it over the remaining of the season) and when he actually signed.

Getting to be same old answer. Saku, Lang, Laps, Pleks.

Lang was signed this year, he finishes the year, I would think.

Pleks and Laps combined don't free up space and neither are ufa's for abit.

Saku does. He would be the centre leaving if Sundin signed. IMHO.

Best was the idea that, Dandy, Begin, O'B and SK go to make room for one guy!

Some short bench!

Nope, has to be a centre, and a well paid one or it doesn't make sense.

Either Lang or Saku would have to go.

Streamer, allow me to introduce you to the thread that at this time is directly below this one, which contains all of the salary cap information, including what our projected remaining cap space at season's end is. Since I'm sure you won't want to look, the remaining cap space is $1,549,218.36.

As for NTC's, I'll add that now...which will make this thread below the cap one...:)

To answer about how much space would need to be cleared, you'd have to know for how much Sundin would sign for (to prorate it over the remaining of the season) and when he actually signed.

I was "THAT" close to looking... but you did it for me :clap:

So, you think that Sundin would sign for $1,549,218.36 ;)

I used to list all the salaries... I don't have the energy anymore, thanks for doing it :P

I was "THAT" close to looking... but you did it for me :clap:

So, you think that Sundin would sign for $1,549,218.36 ;)

I used to list all the salaries... I don't have the energy anymore, thanks for doing it :P

That's the old number; after the callups, it's much smaller, so you'll have to look now...:)

An expired page has been activated on the Habs' website! Stop the presses!

I thought it was amusing, anyhow. :P

Denis Potvin is now speculating that Sundin will retire.

Quiet rumours of some fella named Forsberg coming back next year. I suppose the Habs will be front and centre again. LOL

I was surprised that we just vanished from the radar when everyone began talking NYR and Canuckleheads.

I guess Bob was unwilling to do too much heavy lifting to fit Mats under the cap, or else Mats just wants to go to New York (or Vancouver??) and was decent enough to let us know that.

Yet another high-profile UFA we come close to but never sign. Bah!!!

I was surprised that we just vanished from the radar when everyone began talking NYR and Canuckleheads.

I guess Bob was unwilling to do too much heavy lifting to fit Mats under the cap, or else Mats just wants to go to New York (or Vancouver??) and was decent enough to let us know that.

Yet another high-profile UFA we come close to but never sign. Bah!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob told him he didn't think it was as good of a fit anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided on trying to get a d-man over Sundin for his remaining cap space.

Chicago dropped out because they admitted they couldn't clear the space for him. The Rags can nickel and dime and make an offer for half the money Vancouver can. If Montreal's not involved, I expect it was Bob pulling out of the discussion and not Mats.